Anyone know the story behind all the blackface I see around town?

JDJD

1 minute ago, Smithson said:

American cultural influence is powerful sure, so is Chinese, Indian, and amazing...Thai. America is not the center of the world, even if ppl desperately want it to be. It seems many would like to colonize the world with American values and religious ideas. The OP has capitalized the word 'black', something that has started in the US and they are trying to export.

What happens in the US should stay in the US, the place is a awash with social problems that other developed countries don't have.

I don't buy the hill tribes bit either, they generally have white skin and are considered very attractive. If you look at old Thai painting sometimes you will see black men who really stand out, but I'm not sure what place they hold in Thai culture.

We're talking about one thing here. Not everything.

I think there are very strong clues that Thai minstrel type racial stereotyped stuff indeed  came from  American influence. 

Here is a way to almost prove it either way.

Did these Thai minstrel images with exaggerated big lips precede the cultural phenom in the US? I don’t know. If it did precede it that would be strong evidence against the American influence theory.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Thai literature from the Ayuddhaya period has a play based around 'Ngoh' (literally rambutan) but also means Sakai tribespeople from the south, the play in the most recent form is dated to around 1800s in the 2nd reign of the Bangkok era, in it the main character was cursed to have an appearance of the black sakai tribespeople, but turn out to be white and golden on the inside 

Big lips or not?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

But does that make it wrong?  Why should Thais (or any other country or culture) adhere to what's considered to be/not be PC in the USA, UK etc?  (Sorry if this is way too much off-topic!)

I wasn't even discussing that aspect of it.

My interest is the origin.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not buying that. Look at the exaggerated lips. That's straight out of American minstrel show stuff.

From Spike Lee's Bamboozled. 

Lips, eyes, hair all look exactly like blackface.
Maybe came into Thailand during the Vietnam war. With GI's watching TV, or with pictures/magazines.

Thais thought it was "cute," without any racial intentions behind it. And now there are dolls sold on Lazada.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think much earlier. 

Darkie toothpaste 1930s.

Maybe started at that time. Further influence during the Vietnam might increased the trend.

Edited by ThLT

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think much earlier. 

Darkie toothpaste 1930s.

Also, Darkie/Darlie is a Chinese company (by Hawley & Hazel, established in Shanghai in 1933). 

35 minutes ago, Smithson said:

And you are attributing that one thing to the US, almost desperately trying to find holes in ThLT's explanation, which sounds like what I was describing. You don't seem to have applied the same skepticism to your own theories.

Desperately? Are you having a laugh?

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

looks a lot like the doll and statue to me...

Not seeing the resemblance at all except dark skin color.

No

Big

Lips.

Dudes, the big lips are the giveaway.

Totally minstrel. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

But why did you post that?

Doesn’t look Thai at all.

The black figure is not minstrel.

i must have just focussed moreso on far back black slavery angle in a generic sort of way... 

The Maniq or Mani are an ethnic group of Thailand. They are more widely known in Thailand as the Sakai (Thai: ซาไก), a controversial derogatory term meaning 'slave' or 'barbarism'.[2] They are the only Negrito group in Thailand and speak a variety of related Aslian languages, primarily Kensiu and Ten'edn. They have their own language, culture, and no alphabet.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniq_people

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

or neither.

Liverpool, I am from the USA.  I can guarantee that the news media would make it one of the two.  And, I am pretty sure I know which one they would select. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDJD said:

This forum never seems to amaze me! Businesses displaying pieces might mean Blacks are not allowed at the establishment. That would make sense. Maybe it's a big thing in China? I'm sure someone will actually know. Keep em coming. Thanks! 

Well if those were images that portrayed Russians with more reddish faces, or Chinese with slanted eyes and more yellowish tinge, there would not be an issue at all.  

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But this is Thailand, not the US.

That is true, however the fact that it is being brought up on the forum in Thailand is evidence that the USA culture has well I could use the words permeated but probably infected is just as good a choice the cultures worldwide. 

• Like 1