Thailand reports 8,656 new COVID-19 cases, 80 more deaths

webfact

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thai construction workers infected by hybrid of Delta and Alpha variants

A construction worker was found to be simultaneously infected by both the Alpha and Delta COVID-19 variants, while six others were infected with a hybrid strain of the two, according to Director-General of the Medical Sciences Department Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Monday).

Expressing shock by the finding, while reassuring the public the seven cases were not severe, Dr. Supakit said this is why it was necessary to seal worker housing facilities in and around Bangkok late last month.

The cases remain, however, of concern and follow-up monitoring is needed, to prevent infections by two virus strains at the same time from spreading to the point that the combination of the strains in a single host result in a new variant.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-construction-workers-infected-by-hybrid-of-delta-and-alpha-variants/

"Expressing shock by the finding, while reassuring the public the seven cases were not severe."

Alpha and Delta each have several different mutations, combining them could further challenge vaccines. If would certainly give doctors even more reason to challenge the Government and health minster's vaccine plans.

"Dr. Supakit said this is why it was necessary to seal worker housing facilities in and around Bangkok late last month."

Not sure that will stop it ...  The 6 hybrid virus cases are out of the number they genetically sequenced, not the number of cases tested. So there are likely more.

I wonder which camp had the hybrid virus?

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Phyathai 2 hospital has updated their homepage.

They have clarified that they have 100 doses of vaccine available each day for non-Thai citizens who are applying via their website/Google form.

Screenshot_20210712-205613_Chrome.jpg.440a03739eee30b2454d5fea16c9a551.jpg

https://www.phyathai2international.com/

That is so Thai government.

to the world “all foreigners can register for vaccination”

to the hospitals “ make it no more than 100 doses a day.”

how many days will it take to vaccinate all foreigners in Bangkok at that rate? Let alone all foreigners in the country.

20 minutes ago, rabas said:

"Expressing shock by the finding, while reassuring the public the seven cases were not severe."

Alpha and Delta each have several different mutations, combining them could further challenge vaccines. If would certainly give doctors even more reason to challenge the Government and health minster's vaccine plans.

"Dr. Supakit said this is why it was necessary to seal worker housing facilities in and around Bangkok late last month."

Not sure that will stop it ...  The 6 hybrid virus cases are out of the number they genetically sequenced, not the number of cases tested. So there are likely more.

I wonder which camp had the hybrid virus?

Hasn’t Dr Supakit got it the wrong way round? Shouldn’t it read “ this is because we sealed worker housing facilities….”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

If you have had one dose of AZ, it seems that your second dose will still be AZ.

They talk in this article about shortening the time between 1st and 2nd jab by mixing sinovac and AZ. I’m not sure how they can do that when AZ is in such short supply. Perhaps the rate of 1st sinovac jabs will have to slow so as to match the AZ  doses that are available

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-covid-19-combine-sinovac-astrazeneca-vaccine-immunity-15205790

I think they have to give AZ to people who have already had one AZ shot.  As you say, the timing is the question. They shortened the gap from 16 to 12 weeks and then said they had to sorten it again to 8 weeks.  They might improve the domestic supply of AZ by suspending exports as the EU and India have done.

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

I think they have to give AZ to people who have already had one AZ shot.  As you say, the timing is the question. They shortened the gap from 16 to 12 weeks and then said they had to sorten it again to 8 weeks.  They might improve the domestic supply of AZ by suspending exports as the EU and India have done.

Yes, they might suspend exports, if they aren’t already doing that as we speak.

I have no idea how AZ supplies will end up matching sinovac. Presumably there is someone at MOPH with an abacus feverishly working that out.

• Haha 1

Interestingly the Phuket must win web site is currently down. It was up earlier in the day.

I wonder if they are now rejigging all the scheduled appointments for sinovac 2nd jabs? Or maybe just daily maintenance, I’ve never checked it at this time of day before.

edit: false alarm, it’s up now.

Edited by wensiensheng

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Touche! OK the only way I can weasel my way out of this is to say they are cheaper than Pfizer and Moderna.

Dont know how much Anus pay from AZ maybe more than any other vaccine even made in own yard!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Hasn’t Dr Supakit got it the wrong way round? Shouldn’t it read “ this is because we sealed worker housing facilities….”

I would go one more step.  "this is because we were told to seal worker housing facilities….”  

• Like 2

Looks like the checkpoints were busy last night, watching the news this morning it appears many were caught and did not understand there was curfew.  Even showed a pickup full of youngsters with alcohol and speakers, seems they were headed out to party, silly critters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi province have announced they have 459 new cases and 1 death.

Growing it appears, but then are those numbers just a fraction of true cases, we may never know.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

We're these listed in the daily totals or hidden.  More deceit and smoke and mirrors.  Someone must have leaked info like the prison cases and so we have this news story.

Yes my thought too..... likely a pre-prepared softener for out next shocking jump in infections. 

• Like 1