Do they check the engine number of a car when transferring ownership?

SS1

Hi, 

I have a BMW with a Toyota 2jz-gte engine swap, which had been registered in the bluebook. 

The engine blew earlier this year and a shop replaced the engine block only. The engine number is located on the block and is now different to the one in the bluebook. Since it was only the block and a whole engine, the shop didn't provide an invoice for it (what you normally use to register a whole engine swap).

Will this cause trouble later if transferring ownership? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Will this cause trouble later if transferring ownership? 

Yes they check the engine number and chassis number  so  there will be a "problem"

the problem may be solvable  with help of and "agent" and some money

( they hang around the Department of Land Transportaion offices)

you might also have to get the shop to issue an invoice.... good luck :shock1:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dennnis said:

It's a sinn to put Toyota engine in BMW. 

While I would certainly prefer a real M-car (if I could afford one in Thailand), it's kind of funny to pass them on the motorway in a 20 year old clapper with 500hp/600nm on the wheels that whistles and shoots flames. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Get the Car workshop to give you an invoice for the work carried out stating the engine block part was replaced which has a different  engine number.

Take that and the car to DLT for inspection and they will change the details in the blue book. 

Thanks - this sounds like the most sensible thing to do. I just wonder if they actually require an import invoice for the engine block to confirm taxes were paid on import, or just a receipt to confirm that the work was done? 

16 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Thanks - this sounds like the most sensible thing to do. I just wonder if they actually require an import invoice for the engine block to confirm taxes were paid on import, or just a receipt to confirm that the work was done? 

The invoice from workshop should be good enough as the block is a part from an engine that was already in Thailand I would say because it came from a Toyota.

I bet the only thing DLT will want is to inspect and check the vehicles numbers and change the engine number in the book.

The worse scenario would be the engine registered as stolen but I doubt that very much the workshop would that stupid. 

The workshop being Thai would be thinking why don't you just go to DLT and get new engine number in book.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The invoice from workshop should be good enough as the block is a part from an engine that was already in Thailand I would say because it came from a Toyota.

I bet the only thing DLT will want is to inspect and check the vehicles numbers and change the engine number in the book.

The worse scenario would be the engine registered as stolen but I doubt that very much the workshop would that stupid. 

The workshop being Thai would be thinking why don't you just go to DLT and get new engine number in book.

Sounds good. The only potential issue I see here is that all of the 2JZ-GTE engines have been imported from Japan. There are both legal and illegal imports of these engines in Thailand and when doing the engine swap, having the correct import papers is very important. It's only the block, but I wonder if they'd be interested to find the import origin of the block itself.. 

However, perhaps I can get the mrs. to call the DLT and verify. 

9 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Sounds good. The only potential issue I see here is that all of the 2JZ-GTE engines have been imported from Japan. There are both legal and illegal imports of these engines in Thailand and when doing the engine swap, having the correct import papers is very important. It's only the block, but I wonder if they'd be interested to find the import origin of the block itself.. 

However, perhaps I can get the mrs. to call the DLT and verify. 

Personally I would not waste time I'd just go DLT now and let them inspect it telling them you had a new engine block part replaced will you change the engine number in the book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replaced a chassis in Phuket after an accident went through all sorts of dramas eventually changing the plates, including cutting out the number from the old chassis, Mazda Bangkok had to provide a letter about the new chassis, pictures from the day of the accident through the whole workshop rebuild, and an engineers report. I had given up at one stage  because nobody from Mazda or DLT could list what had to be done. I was warned by the panel shop that it would be a problem later. If there is a next time I would just right it off and take the insurance, luckily the other guy had insurance, maybe not so lucky in the future.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Personally I would not waste time I'd just go DLT now and let them inspect it telling them you had a new engine block part replaced will you change the engine number in the book.

Unless the DLT office he is dealing with are rather lax I don’t think that will work.

We had an engine changed by Ford a few years ago at no cost.

The DLT people wanted a letter from Ford confirming they had done the work and there was no charge to us.

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Unless the DLT office he is dealing with are rather lax I don’t think that will work.

We had an engine changed by Ford a few years ago at no cost.

The DLT people wanted a letter from Ford confirming they had done the work and there was no charge to us.

They are all different, I said earlier get a bill from garage go to DLT. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

let them inspect it telling them you had a new engine block part replaced will you change the engine number in the book.

I would not do that..how do you prove the engine block is not stolen without an invoice from the company who provided it ?

Remember the recent thread about  the bike that wasn't as listed in the green book ?

Just now, johng said:

I would not do that..how do you prove the engine block is not stolen without an invoice from the company who provided it ?

Remember the recent thread about  the bike that wasn't as listed in the green book ?

As I've said already OP get bill from workshop and go DLT.