Phuket remains open to intl visitors

webfact

94c20d871a99740b2694908349c150bf_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has confirmed Phuket remains open to international tourists visiting as part of the Phuket Sandbox campaign for quarantine-free tourism, denying rumors of the campaign’s termination.

The government’s COVID-19 economic task force has confirmed Phuket is still open to fully vaccinated tourists joining the Phuket Sandbox campaign, with no changes expected to any of the applicable regulations.

The Center for Economic Situation Administration’s (CESA) Spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, said today tourists will be accepted on the same terms and conditions as before, while urging the general public not to share or forward rumors claiming the campaign has been suspended due to a COVID-19 case surge.

Mr Thanakorn said 4,778 international tourists have so far visited Phuket since the official reopening on 1st July, while the authorities anticipate the cumulative number of international visitors to be some 100,000 in the first three months, generating around 8.9 billion baht in revenue.

He said the Phuket Sandbox campaign is important for the local economy which relies heavily on tourism, and serves as a vital pilot campaign for Thailand’s restart of its tourism sector as the country reopens.

Visitors traveling to Phuket from abroad are required to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to travel, to have their quarantine requirement waived on arrival. They are still however subject to an arrival test, plus subsequent tests depending on the length of their stay.

Since the reopening, some international tourists visiting as part of the campaign have tested positive to COVID-19. All of the infected visitors have been admitted for treatment, while all high-risk people in close contact with them are being isolated according to the regulations.

With the escalation of the COVID-19 situation across the country, Phuket has announced new travel requirements for domestic travelers from 10 maximum and strict control provinces, as well as 24 maximum control provinces traveling to the island province by air, land, or water.

The new requirements, to be enforced from 15th July to 31st July, now require all inbound travelers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days before arrival, or have received a dose of AstraZeneca vaccine 14 days before arrival, or recovered from COVID-19 no more than 90 days prior.

Along with the new vaccination or recovery requirements, inbound domestic travelers must also present a negative COVID-19 test certificate using either an antigen test or the RT-PCR method, issued no more than seven days prior to arrival.

All travelers to Phuket must install and activate the Mor Chana tracking application on their mobile devices, with location permission set to ’on’ throughout their stay.

All 230 Sandbox Hotels in Phuket - Book Now!

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, thai006 said:

i would like to come in October for sandbox  do you think is possible ? 

if you are using it to get entry for a long stay here then it is a viable option - better than ASQ

If you are coming for a 3 week holiday then you would have to decide what you want out of a holiday and the risk of it all going pear shaped if you end up in a hospital or ASQ if either you or someone else tests positive

There is also a risk that while you have booked and paid - it could all come tumbling down in an instant 

There is also the possibility that covid is on the Island amongst the locals - they will not tell you that so you have to look at what is going on and read between the lines for example - schools closing - fully vaccinated sandbox tourists becoming infected - questions that need answered that will never be answered

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, thai006 said:

i would like to come in October for sandbox  do you think is possible ? 

do you have lots of money IE CASH and 15 days for lockup and don't mind bad food the lock up will cost 55k.b and NO visit then ware a tag welcome to our sand-pit

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

People want to go on vacation right now where there is low infection rates. Not where infection rates are going vertical.

"People want to go on vacation right now where there is low infection rates." Exactly, like Phuket.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"People want to go on vacation right now where there is low infection rates." Exactly, like Phuket.

Yet, cases are rising, schools have been closed and the PHP has set up 23 investigation teams to track down cases.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-health-chief-details-latest-covid-deaths-on-the-island-80677.php

“Since the opening [of the Phuket sandbox scheme] on July 1 through to July 13, we have had 61 cases of infection, 54 Thais and seven Sandbox arrivals,” he continued.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/ppho-braces-for-infections-delta-beta-variants-confirmed-in-phuket-80636.php

Phuket officials are drawing up battle plans in anticipation of a spike in infections on the island after Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) Chief Dr Kusak Kukiattikoon confirmed that both the Delta and Beta variants of COVID-19 have now been found among infected people in Phuket.

You really are living in your own world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet, cases are rising, schools have been closed and the PHP has set up 23 investigation teams to track down cases.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-health-chief-details-latest-covid-deaths-on-the-island-80677.php

“Since the opening [of the Phuket sandbox scheme] on July 1 through to July 13, we have had 61 cases of infection, 54 Thais and seven Sandbox arrivals,” he continued.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/ppho-braces-for-infections-delta-beta-variants-confirmed-in-phuket-80636.php

Phuket officials are drawing up battle plans in anticipation of a spike in infections on the island after Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) Chief Dr Kusak Kukiattikoon confirmed that both the Delta and Beta variants of COVID-19 have now been found among infected people in Phuket.

You really are living in your own world.

I am living in a happy world without your black glasses. Try it, you might have some fun and see the good side of things for a change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, stevenl said:

I am living in a happy world without your black glasses. Try it, you might have some fun and see the good side of things for a change.

I unfortunately look at the world through the right lenses that are not rose colored and do not ignore the shortcomings of folks that seem to live in glass houses.  You might need to look outside the box and view things from the other side once in awhile, but then we can always agree to disagree without seeing it the same.  The sky may be blue but what hue of blue, Covid has created a very big gray area.  Enjoy and have fun, I know I am, life is good.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well, they can't very well shut the place down now after all the hoopla and the worldwide exposure can they now? they will die of embarrassment and shame if this to happen...

They’ve survived so far and there has been quite a lot of embarrassment to share around, not quite so much shame. The government doesn’t really do shame.

1 hour ago, Iamemjay said:

Thai006 - Don't be fooled into giving much regard to the rubbish that is constantly being spewed out by the deskbound pontificating "experts" on this site.

I'm one of those "poor unfortunates" already in Phuket. Very little that I read on this forum comes anywhere describing my experience, which discussion with others here in my SHA hotel is largely shared. I don't hear too many complaints at all.

Yes, there is the risk of being unfortunate enough to be on a flight with someone who subsequently PCR tests positive. The result of this is identical to what happens in many other countries - I saw it first hand whilst in quarantine in Australia. In that case the hotel etc costs already paid are refunded and yes, you have to pay for ASQ - and this is the only other alternative anyway.

The sandbox in my experience has been remarkably well organised - a VERY pleasant surprise at the airport - where clearly the authorities had pulled out all stops to make arrival etc as good an experience as possible. It took me just 20 minutes to clear the airport and be in my already waiting transport. Even the Imm officers were friendly!!

The daily "checkin" to my (very good and reasonably priced - 650B pn incl, full buffet breakfast) 4 star hotel is no big deal at all. I am free to do what I want beyond that. Many of the restaurants etc that are open have special sandbox deals. (Most businesses, it needs to be said however, are still closed).

It doesn't have to be an expensive exercise at all.

Unlike what is being stated by the ignorant (or those deliberately misleading in this forum) my total package, including THEM doing ALL THE PAPERWORK (CofE etc) hotel, airport transfers, all PCR tests, cost less than 27000B. far less than the cheapest ASQ package. People in this forum seem to be selectively choosing very expensive options - not the more common reasonably priced ones.

So in conclusion, my experience-based response to your question is "GO FOR IT"!

Are you a single person, may I ask?

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well, they can't very well shut the place down now after all the hoopla and the worldwide exposure can they now? they will die of embarrassment and shame if this to happen...

Not forgetting that the previously mentioned "steaming sandbox turd" can't be permitted to derail the Grand Opening Scheme. Full "steam" ahead chaps.