How many did you hear ?

CharlieH

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

# 30? Get your elbows off of the table

Yep , and chew each mouthfull 20 times.  Most of these came out at meal times as that was the only time my mum and dad and my older bruv. who my grand dad called ' The heavy mob ' sat at the same table.

I carried one through to my own kids many years later , ' If I have told you once I have told you a thousand times  don't exagerate .'

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sipi said:

"Stop touching your willy or it will fall off".

And much later, "you'll go blind"

Just as well sipi if you went blind first you wouldn't be able to find it if it fell off.

I remember in the bath  ' Stop doing that it's dirty '  I know mum and that is why I am washing it .'

Imagine telling kids they will go blind , talk about growing up insecure.

Slightly off topic but when I was at school around 1960 we were playing footy in the mud and the gym teacher asked Payne , a horrid boy ( All boy school ) if he had the time , he replied ' If you have the money sir '.

Oh one more I remember reading years ago about the boy who was lying on top of the bed pleasuring himself and he fell asleep , woke up and his mum had left a cup of tea oh the bedside table for him.

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Mum: (inevitably) - 'Make sure you've got clean underpants on in case you end up in hospital!'

Your mum must have known my mum, that is exactly what my mum used to say.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, faraday said:

All of 'em, plus:

"Don't swallow chewing gum because it will get tangled up in your insides"

"You can grow potatoes in your ears."
All those Momisms are flooding back <laugh>

"If you eat that candy you'll get sugar diabetes."
Then mom got type 2 diabetes.  My sister and I kept eating candy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

#4- Wasn't that Pink Floyd?

"How can you have some pudding if you don't eat your meat!"

Although I'm a Yank I spent grades 1 - 3 in a private English school.  10 years after WWII rationing in Britain, that was still something the teachers and lunch monitors would tell the kids.

Hey, there, teacher - leave us kids alone.  And give us some pudding.  This grizzly meat is inedible.

11 hours ago, sipi said:

"Stop touching your willy or it will fall off".

And much later, "you'll go blind"

Well, da*m.  I'm pretty much blind.  But the parish priest's assertion that I'd grow hairy palms never came to pass.

• Like 1

Best topic for a while or is that willy ?   Need a few larfs what with covid these days .One I still use often I first heard from a girl in the '60s.   Never mind better late then never , she would say ' Better late than pregnant '.  When I was travelling her letters would end '.........all the breast keep in crutch '. Ah , the lovely Iris .

If you thought the stuff we heard from our parents was weird, how about the stuff we're hearing from the younger generations.

One of my favorites "I'm offended by that so, you owe me an apology"

Oh grow up.

• Like 1