Thai netizens mostly endorse Thaksin’s vow to return

webfact

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Correct, that is Thakin's modus operandi. 

Did he have activists in Lao and Cambodia murdered or disappeared under his government? There was the one lawyer guy but can't remember any others.

They have been disappearing regularly since 2014. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I did't see him forking out some, little some, of his vast fortune to help any Thai people during this harsh economic times either by helping with food or god forbid try to buy some vaccines on the open market and spend some of the multi billions he made on the back of his people, re-elect him? for what benefits? so he can make MORE money?... he's no leader, he's an opportunist...

What about those wealthy Thais and MNC are they helping out...

43 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Ever the coup apologist. At least you are consistent.

The only things coups do is subvert the democratic process, rob the people of a say in their leaders, erode the rule of law and weaken confidence in due process, the economy and the maturity of a country. 

Confidence in due process? 555 Why is Thaksin not in jail.

And at least in Thailand the democratic process is overrated. Masses of stupid people vote for the same corrupt people again and again. Is that the idea of democracy? Sure not!

If you think Thaksin is not a criminal then write it here. And if you think a criminal should be PM then let us know why. Most educated people don't want criminals as their leaders.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Anyone know if he's been to the US in the past six or so years?  If so, did he visit that certain orange-faced person?  Did he meet with The Steve (Bannon) ?

Just curious who his friends are.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He will argue, with some merit, that his charges were politically motivated.

See, that's what happens when you have coups to remove elected politicians from their positions. It lessens trust in due process, the judicial system and gives the other party moral high ground from which to counter.

I don't know why I need to keep reiterating this simple concept.

I also don't know why people like you don't understand the simple concept that greedy corrupt people will never form an honest government. It should be easy to understand...

And about the charges again Thaksin: He is already convicted for relative minor charges. Many charges for serious crimes are still pending. And why? Because Thaksin illegally left the county because he thinks he is above the law. And lots of people still support him. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Loving your whataboutery in trying to compare the rice pledging scheme to the incompetence and mismanagement of the COVID-19 debacle where Thai lives are at stake. There's not an opportunity missed to try and compare the two to try and somehow excuse your bad judgement.

Correct, they shouldn't be compared.

The rice scam was deliberate.

The handling of the vaccination was incompetence. And there is no evidence that Thaksin would have done it any better.

And to be fair, until end of last year the Prayut government handled Covid a lot better than many countries including lots of so called first world countries.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Did he have activists in Lao and Cambodia murdered or disappeared under his government? There was the one lawyer guy but can't remember any others.

They have been disappearing regularly since 2014. 

Thaksin was responsible for the killing of about 2500 people who were supposedly involved in drugs. Any evidence? No!

I am sure some bad drug dealers were killed at that time and I won't miss them. But I am also sure lots of inconvenient people were killed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, colinneil said:
27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And why did the military intervene? Because of the mess which Thaksin and his lackeys created. 

Sorry mate but you are so wrong... Why did the military intervene, because that is exactly what they have done around every six years since end of the absolute monarchy in 1932.

Sad fact is no civilian government is safe here the army just have to be in control.

Now look at the abysmal state the country is in due to the present military government, fast going backwards into a third world country, sad so sad, heartbreaking for the Thai people.

And why did many people, at least in Bangkok, support the coups?

I don't know about all of them but I know lots of Thai people who were totally fed-up with corrupt Thaksin.

If Thaksin would have been a good guy and not a greedy <deleted> then many people would not have supported the coups. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thais are too stupid to have a say in who governs them? Wow. 

If you want to quote me then do it correctly!

I never said or wrote that all Thais are stupid.

But people who vote for corrupt people and expect an honest government are by definition stupid.

There are lots of smart Thais in Thailand. And they don't vote for Thaksin.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And why did many people, at least in Bangkok, support the coups?

I don't know about all of them but I know lots of Thai people who were totally fed-up with corrupt Thaksin.

If Thaksin would have been a good guy and not a greedy <deleted> then many people would not have supported the coups. 

Well they are certainly getting what they perhaps deserve now.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thaksin was responsible for the killing of about 2500 people who were supposedly involved in drugs. Any evidence? No!

I am sure some bad drug dealers were killed at that time and I won't miss them. But I am also sure lots of inconvenient people were killed. 

I agree that the war on drugs was not transparent and innocent people may have been killed but we have to remember the report on it was conducted by the subsequent military junta after the 2006 coup and that it was sanctioned from above, and not just done on a whim from Thaksin. 

It did however stop a lot of the supply of illicit drugs, yaba in particular and had an overall positive effect on drug trafficking within the country.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Well they are certainly getting what they perhaps deserve now.

I agree that the war on drugs was not transparent and innocent people may have been killed but we have to remember the report on it was conducted by the subsequent military junta after the 2006 coup and that it was sanctioned from above, and not just done on a whim from Thaksin. 

It did however stop a lot of the supply of illicit drugs, yaba in particular and had an overall positive effect on drug trafficking within the country.

Defender of Thaksin... MAY have been killed.. ITs been proven that many innocents died from his policy. I guess its ok if innocent people die if Thaksin does it but when the military does it its wrong.

Sanctioned from above.. does not set Thaksin free from his responsibility.  Your obviously bias, and call me bias. Pot and kettle thing.

Coup was also sanctioned.. does that make it good.

Does it work well a 2 dimension yardstick, one for those you hate and one for those you support ?

Edited by robblok
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

The current government might be a heap of dung but dont let that sway you into thinking this man is any better. He is of the same ilk, just another corrupt opportunist whom a very large proportion of the country hate.

Lets not step backwards, nether Prayut et al nor Thaksin et al are the answer to this countries issues. If he comes back we will simply restart the corrupt Hiso/elite battle for Thailands wealth again. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, candide said:

Well, it doesn't look like those who have made a fortune on the back of people since the 2006 coup have been helpful either........

A very important statement you made here.

People tend to forget really fast about the past,Mr Tony certainly was and is no saint!

Imo Thaksin and Prayut are both no way forward for Thailand.

What they need is a person who truly cares about Thailand and the Thai people and not looking

how much money there is to be made.

Look at other countries where the people had to choose between to want to be leaders and the opted for the one who they believed would do less damage then the other!

A sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Further, most of the big pharma are fully listed on various stock exchanges, with many shareholders holding very big parcels of shares, all for a specific reason; very strong return on investment and that also means massive greed.

Many of these shareholders have zero interest in ethics or morals, they strongly/ruthlessly expect the paid management to take/create many opportunities to make big sales for revenues/margin and to help increase share prices and annual returns to shareholders.

If the paid management aren't playing the role as above the shareholders at AGMs/extra shareholders meetings will get very angry with paid management and have no hesitation to vote to change the paid management on the spot.  

Extra massive sales outside of ethics is a given / is expected.

I recall a point in a project in Japan, the management had decided that they needed to urgently change the structure/strategies of the company and they did.

Sales in the next 30 days slumped by just a few %, but the data/trends showed that sales would return and increase within 60 days. The major shareholders decided to call an AGM to be held in the next 48 hours. I am my snr. consultants attended the meeting and we listened to continuous translations of the meeting dialogue.

At the AGM shareholders displayed extreme anger and several threatened the paid management with death, and they had their paid always present ruthless & frightening mafia with them at the meeting.

The paid management very quickly resigned. Several of the major shareholders present quickly presented new candidates, all the candidates were quickly duly elected and started work on the spot with newly given strategies, goals and targets, much bigger than before.

Near the end of the meeting one of the very angry big shareholders asked for a vote to immediately remove me and my consulting company, a vote happened and was passed. I and my company were then mentioned by name by the shareholder who had asked for the vote, we were told in strong language to leave the meeting immediately and never return to the company premises. The Japanese translators with heads buried in their upturned coat collars ran quickly from the room and into taxis and gone.

It happens.

Further, we had been paid progress payments (as per the contract) up to about 45 days before the meeting I described above.

After we were 'thrown out' we never received any further payments and to be honest we weren't expecting that we would (about US$450,000-). Our world HQ in Europe insisted we hire a Japanese lawyer to get the final payment. My Japanese colleagues refused to seek out a Japanese lawyer, they also refused to approach any of the international law firms operating in Japan. 

One of our Snr Japanese consultants resigned immediately and quickly took himself and his family to live in Canada where he already had some type of residency rights (he was fearing the yakusa would find him and be very violent to himself, his wife and 2 kids).

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

2 dimension it is. The military generals who committed the coups and killings throughout the tragic history of Thailand have never been held accountable nor put on trials. Meanwhile their enemies have been harrassed, jailed, disposed or in exile. You really can't have any good words for the military that staged more coup d'etats in modern history than any other country and none of the coup leaders have ever been put on trial.   

I don't h ave good words for the military, like I don't have good words for Thaksin. Was he held accountable for his policy that led to the deaths of innocents ? I don't think so, neither did the military for the deaths during the protests and coups. 

Would be nice to see them both accountable would it not. Or would you just want to see the military accountable ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Over the past several months, Thaksin, one of Thailand’s most polarizing political figures, has become active on Clubhouse and other social media platforms, where he discusses Thailand’s current affairs, criticizes the Prayut government’s mismanagements

Pot meet kettle.