Getting a bank balance from Bangkok Bank

Hi, since the Thai baht is around the 45baht mark, my wife has been putting money into her Bangkok Bank account, has you know, it's not possible to get a balance from a ATM machine in the UK unlike we can in Thailand. Can anyone tell me the best way to get a balance from Bangkok Bank in Thailand,   phone number and also a good phone cheap number,  just don't want to be sending money and it's not going into her bank

Thank you in advance

Malc

• Confused 2

Try online banking. Or the phone app. Or the phone number with various options.

But it IS possible to get balance at an ATM machine, many times I have waited for the customer in front of me to do it with several accounts.

Sorry, re-reading your post, I guess you are trying to get the balance from an ATM in UK.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 2

Sorry, Yes, I should have made myself clear, yes we are in the UK.  Regards online banking, no, she doesn't do anything technical 

Edited by malct
  • Haha 1

Just a thought:  Would making a small cash withdrawal produce a receipt, or even a brief flash on the screen, that might indicate the balance in British pounds ?  Or, if you think you know the balance, try withdrawing an amount just above that.  You would presumably be told "Not sufficient funds"  But, be ready to press "Cancel" if it appears that the transaction is going to go through !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, malct said:

Sorry, Yes, I should have made myself clear, yes we are in the UK.  Regards online banking, no, she doesn't do anything technical 

I find it hard to believe that Thai lady does not know her way around a mobile phone... surely hours and hours have been spent playing CandyCrush !!!! :hit-the-fan:

Seriously though, the Phone App is very simple to use, although, if you do not already have it there could be difficulties setting it up while outside of Thailand. 

IF not in the country, Phone Banking, Mobile Banking, or Internet Banking are the only avenues I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife's ATM card has a 6 digit number and doesn't work in the UK,  checking the Bangkok Bank website, there is no clear information on how to obtain a balance from another country. , I have no idea how Thai people obtain cash but maybe it's the debt card she holds and not a up to date one

Website looks pretty clear to me;

Call our Bualuang Phone on 1333 in Thailand or (66) 0 2645 5555 from overseas. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Get Skype (or similar) on her phone and it'll cost about £0.04/minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malct said:

My wife's ATM card has a 6 digit number and doesn't work in the UK,  checking the Bangkok Bank website, there is no clear information on how to obtain a balance from another country. , I have no idea how Thai people obtain cash but maybe it's the debt card she holds and not a up to date one

Doesn't work in the UK?

That is worth knowing.  Is it a Bangkok Bank MasterCard debit card or Union Pay? That might make a difference as to why it doesn't work there. I am sure I have read here on TV of people using their Thai debit cards to withdraw cash in UK ATM's.

If it is a six digit PIN, then it must be fairly recent as the old four digit PINs were phasec out three or four years ago.

For your information.. I can definitely see my balance using the phone app.. Very straightforward and easy to use.

Just login using PIN and click on Accounts at bottom of page.

But of course your wife would have to download the app and authorise it via a Thai ATM or in branch I believe.

Another idea. You don't say where you are in the UK, but Bangkok Bank has a branch in St. Mary's Axe, London. About five minutes walk from Liverpool Street Station. She could maybe phone them and ask if it would be possible there if she came in with any documents required.

Also. Has she looked at sending money via Transferwise? They will tell you how much they will send, so it might give her an idea.

Edited by phetphet

We have tried the number posted and got through to balance enquiry, but it won't accept the wife's account number since the card expired a year ago.  I have emailed London branch for help, we have sent money via transfer wise but need to check and make sure it's going in to the account before sending more.  We are up North. So going to London is s expensive option

I can't help with the account problem other than saying that without a current debit card, there's probably nothing you can do.

One suggestion I have is to mail the passbook to a trusted friend or relative and have them update it in the bank's update machine. They can confirm, or otherwise, the deposit(s) that your wife has made.

There is also a way of taking advantage of the current exchange rate by depositing the GPB into a Wise borderless account and converting it straight into THB. It can just sit there until the account situation is resolved.

• Like 2

If the only reason you are sending money over is because of the improved exchange rate you could also open a (transfer)Wise THB balance and then send THB to Bangkok Bank when you finally manage to verify the account somehow.

Just realised I've repeated the same suggestion from the reply immediately above, oops.  Must be a good idea I suppose.

Edited by Upnotover
addition
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

If the only reason you are sending money over is because of the improved exchange rate you could also open a (transfer)Wise THB balance and then send THB to Bangkok Bank when you finally manage to verify the account somehow.

Just realised I've repeated the same suggestion from the reply immediately above, oops.  Must be a good idea I suppose.

It’s a great idea!  

Possible stupid question time ALERT

If I lose my CDN bank card they will send me a new one to Thailand.  

Knowing Thais the way I do I am sure that they lose bank cards also when out of the country.

WILL THE BANK SEND YOU A NEW CARD IF YOU LOSE YOUR OLD CARD?

Edited by kingstonkid

22 hours ago, malct said:

Do it for her. Try registering on line or via their app. Any problems give them a ring or visit their London branch. You can deposit into a BB account at their London branch.

Just to update you, I got a email reply from the Bangkok Bank which gave instructions on how to get a balance, I will post the reply in case others are in the same situation

Thanks for your replies

As mentioned in your email that you would like to check about your bank account balance, Please kindly be informed that we could not proceed your requirements via email due to the security verification limitation.  

So, if you would like to process, kindly call to our Phone Banking Center at (66)26455555 (Oversea call) or 1333 (within Thailand) then press2 for English then 0 and 8 to contact our customer service representative, 24x7 service hours.   

If your debit card expired, the officer will need to confirm your identification by asking several questions based on information you gave us when opening the account. Please have available details of your passport or other forms of identification that you have provided to us when you make the call. 

• Thanks 1