Banks during sort of lockdown?

Jingthing

Just now, utalkin2me said:

I am getting word from sources saying they will be closed for a few days. Who knows if it is correct. Hot off the presses. 

To “the one who knows”: when they close?

The one who knows: tomorrow (Tuesday 20th)

There's an article in the Thailand News forum about how "state run" banks in "deep red" zones will be closed, but nothing about all the other banks (Bangkok Bank, Krung Sri, Siam Commercial, etc).

The article noted that electronic banking services would still be available.

23 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I am getting word from sources saying they will be closed for a few days. Who knows if it is correct. Hot off the presses. 

Don't tell me banks will generally close.

The worst possible trigger for a stampede.

What happens in deep red:

shopping malls closed (access to food and medical/pharmacy only).

Seems like the micro branches can't be reached.

(they are not a list of exemptions)

Regular branches will open until 17:00h at best (don't nail me on that).

Restrictions are effective from tomorrow July 20th.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Here is the reference:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/state-run-banks-to-suspend-services-at-branches-in-13-dark-red-provinces/

Branch offices of state-owned banks, which are located in malls or department stores in the 13 “Dark Red” provinces, including Bangkok, will suspend their services, starting tomorrow (Tuesday July 20th) until further notice, according to an announcement by the Government Financial Institutions Association (GFA).

And how they want to organize that if non state banks want to keep open in the malls?

Or will they give up voluntarily?

Complicated rules for opening hours, read yourself.

15:30 or 17:00 depending on zone.

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Here is the reference:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/state-run-banks-to-suspend-services-at-branches-in-13-dark-red-provinces/

And how they want to organize that if non state banks want to keep open in the malls?

Or will they give up voluntarily?

Complicated rules for opening hours, read yourself.

15:30 or 17:00 depending on zone.

Why need money?? Restaurants, bars and girls closed... 555555

The Pattaya News shows the following regarding restrictions - note, banks in malls can be open - any closures would be a bank decision - https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/18/chonburi-chachoengsao-and-ayutthaya-added-to-maximum-control-provinces-effective-this-tuesday-royal-gazette-announces-this-morning/

2. Closures of shopping malls and other similar establishments, except the essential sections of supermarkets, drug stores, food, groceries, banks and financial institutions, mobile phone shops, and vaccination centers inside shopping centers. They can be open until 8pm.

• Like 1

Do not know about closures but the wife went to our local Kasikorn yesterday to open a new account but had to make an appointment for today to open one. Seems a bit strange or are their services being restricted due to Covid. We are now in the red zone.

Most proper branches are open. Shopping centers of some government banks are closed.

On the note of WFH order and not leaving  home... I see more traffic outside today than on normal workdays with no lockdowns. Doesn't look like anyone cares (in Bangkok).

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Seems a bit strange or are their services being restricted due to Covid.

At our district town an SCB branch at Lotus will only open max. 20 accounts per day. Whatever it helps.

Yesterday both SCB and Bangkok Bank branches in the mall were near deserted.

It is my understanding that banks that are located within shopping malls will be closed. They had been allowed previously, with the shopping mall and all of its shops closed, but grocery stores, banks and pharmacies remaining open. Now, the banks (within shopping malls) will be closed, though stand-alone banks elsewhere will remain open.

Apologies cos slightly off topic . It appears to me that using online banking in Thailand has not really caught on to the extent that it has in the western world . I am now in the UK but am worried for my lady who has to visit the banks , to pay for certain monthly bills , and put herself at risk of the covid virus . What is easy for me to do in the UK online banking is not easy in Thailand as I cannot read Thai . It would be excellent if I could pay the Thai bills online whilst in the UK . Is it possible ?

I think its definitely a good idea to have spare cash in your safe at home and your refrigerator(s) stocked.

Limiting your time amongst other people while shopping,banks,etc is critical

That said people in our village and probably most thais live day by day.  All the reason to vaccinate and stop making excuses and procrastinating.

Edited by MrJ2U

12 minutes ago, superal said:

It would be excellent if I could pay the Thai bills online whilst in the UK . Is it possible ?

If you can access the internet then of course it is possible.

15 hours ago, superal said:

Apologies cos slightly off topic . It appears to me that using online banking in Thailand has not really caught on to the extent that it has in the western world . I am now in the UK but am worried for my lady who has to visit the banks , to pay for certain monthly bills , and put herself at risk of the covid virus . What is easy for me to do in the UK online banking is not easy in Thailand as I cannot read Thai . It would be excellent if I could pay the Thai bills online whilst in the UK . Is it possible ?

I disagree.... if anything Thailand has embraced the online stuff well. I find I can pay quite a lot of my bills on-line, albeit from the Bank's Website or Phone App. The English versions are fine. Even the option of going directly to the utility website and paying has worked for me. The only caution I might have is, as I heard from a friend, if the bank determine you are not in the country, they might lock the account.....Paying bills from UK has always been a short term thing in my case. 

Paying bills at 7-11 should be ok, likely she will need to visit one anyhow. 

Edited by jacko45k