Water treatment

recom273

I’m after some experienced advice. Not too sure if this belongs here or in the health section tbh.

Having just moved to the village is a bit of a shock, when we shower, the water tastes a little too salty, the tank appears clean enough and I was looking at this thread 

Normally I can wash in a horse trough, if need be, but a couple of cuts on my legs seem to have become infected. After investigation found that the water appears clean enough, as in the other thread, but untreated well water supplied by the tessaban.

Its a rental property, so I don’t want to install purifiers, although it could be an option because they wouldn’t be wasted in the future.

Is there a cheaper option? Can I throw a cap of haiter in once a week, I thought I had read about this before.

Anyone else in my position? 

• Like 1

Your best bet is via the chart you posted. If there is any contamination it most likely is from the tank. Bore water is generally pretty clean if it is a deep bore not just a dug one. You could put a carbon filter after the tank to take out the chlorine prior entry into the house.

I have been in the water business for over 25 yrs and installed dozens of filtration systems around Thailand!

15 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Your best bet is via the chart you posted. If there is any contamination it most likely is from the tank. Bore water is generally pretty clean if it is a deep bore not just a dug one. You could put a carbon filter after the tank to take out the chlorine prior entry into the house.

I have been in the water business for over 25 yrs and installed dozens of filtration systems around Thailand!

Thanks for your input.

There is no chlorine in the water, and the tank is brand new. 

Its not a bore for a single house but for the village so I would presume that if locals were getting water poisoning then there would be some action - It looks like this needs to be looked into a little deeper.  We were approached by the local teenage entrepreneur on arrival asking if we wanted a purifier, so maybe its something people feel the need to do.

We have land close to the rental property, so I'm don't have a problem with getting some decent filtration system because we can use it in the new property, maybe we need to even think about basing our system on bore water and using the tessaban as backup. If this is so, should I look towards treating my own water with chlorine and then removing it with charcoal?

ETS: Ahh, I see now - I thought the thread was about algae in the tank, but I see I can use it as an universal guide for ridding water of viruses. Thanks

Edited by recom273

We have good village water so no problem with that.

Having read about algae thought I'd throw a cap of haiter in the tank about once a month.

Don't know what the bleach did to the algae but the wife and kids started coming out in hives, so stopped the bleach treatment.

Now we're back to plain village water and all looks good.

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Its not a bore for a single house but for the village so I would presume that if locals were getting water poisoning then there would be some action

Locals will have built up immunity, you haven’t,

as an example find a recent arrival to Thailand from the U.K. who hasn’t been abroad before, if they get a minor cut it is virtually guaranteed to get infected if it’s untreated. A local with the same cut in the same place they will have no problem. It takes a considerable time to become acclimatised so you have local reactions. 

Most infections are from city water or airborn. Bore water is generally safe!

Main problem with bore water is salinity or calcium. Both are expensive to deal with.

That is why it is advisable to always install filtration after the tank as the tank can get compromised,

A few tablespoons of bleach should cause any issues in most case unless you have oily skin.

Best to dose if you are going away for a few days to let the chlorine dissipate!

Standard salt level maximum in Thialand is 500 ppm for city & 700 ppm country. 

Australia & US is 200 ppm.