Canada opens its borders to Americans…and Delta

The Washington Post reports “Canada to open its border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9”.

Accompanying unvaccinated children will be required to test on the first and eighth days after entering Canada.

The Canadian border, by land, air & sea, has been closed to non-citizens since March 2020.

Unfortunately, the reopening of the 5,500-mile land border occurs before the goal of full 75% vaccination of Canadians has been accomplished. Only 55% of Canadians have received one dose and just 48% are fully vaccinated.

Covid’s Delta variant is in full surge at the moment. Canada, as a first-world country did not pursue manfacture & distribution of vaccines, thus was left to the for-profit mercies of the US supply chain. In a recent example, BC exhausted its Pfizer supply so elders received their second dose as Moderna, an entirely untested strategy anywhere.

As a Canadian, I’ve felt more secure with Canada’s responce to keep those crazy, polarised red/blue Americans out. I think it’s way too early to invite them back for spurious and unnecessary recreational travel during the surge of the Delta variant in the US. These folks bring snowshoes in summer!

I’ve lived in Thailand for three decades, so perhaps I’m superstitious: August 9 is Nagasaki Day.

• Confused 1

Then how about August 6?  This is when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.  As an American i have never been to Canada and do not see a reason ever to visit there.  

i do not drive a truck. I do not own a Harley, I do not own a Red Maga hat. I have owned a firearm but do not belong to the NRA.  I like baseball, football and even some Country Music.  I also like apple pie and grits(you know what that is right?. ) but I am a California native. I am also a veteran and voted as a Republican in the past. I  guess I am not the type of American Canada wants as a visitor?  Well if that is true then oh well I will be missing out.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

As an American i have never been to Canada and do not see a reason ever to visit there.  

So you are in the majority then.???????? and probably wouldn't like your apple pie with cheese?

Baseball?  Canada has the Toronto Blue Jays they used to be good? Twice in a row.

Football? Canada plays football, but they have bigger balls.

Canada is very similar to the US. In fact it is like the US with no guns and free healthcare. (Well OK it is not really free but close enough)

In fairness I can't see any reason for you to visit either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news for millions of Americans who cross over into Canada to get better drug prices.

And for the Canucks who travel to the USA for healthcare.

Also to those driving to Alaska.  And the ones taking a shortcut to Detroit.

11 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

Americans travelling all over Europe now, spreading their nice DELTA ????

Americans are some of the most vaccinated population in the world. Hardly responsible for the spread of the Delta variant.

Research is a good thing.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, impulse said:

Good news for millions of Americans who cross over into Canada to get better drug prices.

All done online. Cannot buy prescription meds in Canada without a Canadian doc's prescription.

Now, that'll be the day! Have never heard of Canadians traveling to the US for overpriced, overegulated healthcare.

And the ones taking a shortcut to Detroit.

Who on earth would want to go to...Detroit???

On 7/21/2021 at 7:33 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Americans are some of the most vaccinated population in the world. Hardly responsible for the spread of the Delta variant.

Being vaccinated doesn't stop infection or spreading. It simply reduces the symptoms.

So as long as all Canadians are vaccinated they are safe from each other.

So let me get this the poster has not lived in Canada for three decades much less America yet he forms a strong opinion about what is right about Canadians and what is wrong about Americans.  I have lived decades in both countries as well as Thailand and I can tell you when you strip down the msm hype and and observe the people as they are there is little difference between Americans and Canadians.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Now, that'll be the day! Have never heard of Canadians traveling to the US for overpriced, overegulated healthcare.

Mayo clinic in Minnesota would disagree.  So would a lot of other facilities near the border.  They get a lot of Canucks that either can't get the treatment they need, or can't get it in a timely manner.

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Being vaccinated doesn't stop infection or spreading. It simply reduces the symptoms.

So as long as all Canadians are vaccinated they are safe from each other.

Understood. But not all Canadians are vaccinated. And even if there are, as you say, they can still get sick. A few cases are now being reported of fully vaccinated people dying. Luckily, very few.

13 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

It happens all the time. Get in the queue in Canada for some surgery with a multi-year waiting list. If you have money, hop the border to the USA and get it done this week.

World needs to open...I am tired of this scaremongering.

Alpha, Beta, Delta, Epsilon...It's a serious crisis, but let's get on with our lives.Of course, we can continue with lockdowns and hysteria about virus mutations and, in about 10-15 years, mental health settings will be overwhelmed with new patients, employers will have difficulties finding and retain staff, as many will succumb to stress.

It they are fully vaccinated, let them in.

Edited by drenddy