Navy Withdraws Submarine Budget Request

snoop1130

The irony of course covid about to ravage the nation. No action taken.

Buy an old submarine lacking any serious stealth technology (2) to defend against ??

I guess with a sub fleet new navy officers can be expanded.

14 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Terrible news!!!! How are they going to defend the country when that fearsome Armada from god knows where steams into the Gulf? Could be any time. Could be tomorrow. Next week. You just never know with these sneaky Armadas...

I mean, that was the sole reason for acquiring those stupid submarines in the first place, wasn't it? That imaginary threat from some imaginary maritime power that is only waiting for its opportunity to pounce on defenseless poor little Thailand.

Or could there potentially have been another reason that necessitated that purchase and made it so urgent? A reason that starts with a "c" and ends with a "ommission", perhaps?

The Armadians are known to be cunning and fearsome warriors. Better not to mock them and incur their wrath.

So where is/are these submarines expected to operate?

If the Gulf of Thailand, then with maximum depth of 85 meters, the point of a submarine (stealth) seems defeated. 

If the Andaman Sea, how are they going to get the thing over there? Ring up Brian Sweeney "Fitzcarraldo" Fitzgerald?

If tied up at Sattahip, next to HTMS Chakri Naruebet, then why?

On 7/20/2021 at 10:46 PM, bendejo said:

It doesn't matter if they really have a submarine or not, they can just tell the world they have one.  When people say they want to see it just tell them they can't because it's under the water.  It's sort of like having an unused plot of land and telling people it is a potato farm.

Or that it is 'stealth' mode. Can't be seen by mere mortals. 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:26 AM, mtls2005 said:

If the Andaman Sea, how are they going to get the thing over there?

You may have hit upon something there:  can the Chinese be so bold that part of the deal of the sale is that it not be deployed in the South China Sea/Gulf of Siam side of the country?  China's plans and monkey business in that region are no secret.

A friend in the scuba business told me (back when) that the 2004 tsunami, and the murk it kicked up from the ocean floor. made some alterations to Malacca Straits. 

Is there any free passage (aka international waters) in the straits? 

On 7/20/2021 at 9:01 AM, Misterwhisper said:

Terrible news!!!! How are they going to defend the country when that fearsome Armada from god knows where steams into the Gulf? Could be any time. Could be tomorrow. Next week. You just never know with these sneaky Armadas...

I mean, that was the sole reason for acquiring those stupid submarines in the first place, wasn't it? That imaginary threat from some imaginary maritime power that is only waiting for its opportunity to pounce on defenseless poor little Thailand.

Or could there potentially have been another reason that necessitated that purchase and made it so urgent? A reason that starts with a "c" and ends with a "ommission", perhaps?

They heard that the Liechtenstein Navy is up-arming and has some very stealthy subs that can operate in shallow water. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 5:55 AM, from the home of CC said:

if every country backed off buying weapons of war for 1 year there probably be enough spare cash to vaccinate every one in the world easily...

Read Eisenhower's outgoing speech on the dangers and warnings about the Military Industrial Complex.  He gives cold hard examples of costs of battleships to number of schools and other things. 

• Thanks 1

So they removed the request for 2022.  That does not mean they will not submit it later.  And they are going ahead with one submarine purchase?  And then presumably will have to fund Thai submariner training, pay for upkeep and maintenance of the submarine and its port side facilities.  Not trivial expenditures.  I have worked on submarines while employed at Electric Boat so I have some knowledge of these things.  Are the Thais going to be trained in China?  I can imagine some initial familiarity training, but after that, will the Thais train organically?  What a waste of money and assets.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:58 AM, Katipo said:

It is withdrawn until they resubmit it.

yes.  the kickbacks to the Thai officials are probably so large, there is no way they can resist spending this money.  Heck, it is not their own personal money anyway.  Such are the dangers of an autocratic government that has little to no oversight nor accountability to anybody but themselves