Travel Nightmare

I suppose the travel forum might have been more appropriate, but as people travelling to the UK often read this forum let's leave it here.

We were considering travelling to the UK about now, but didn't go ahead with the trip as we read about similar issues from numerous other travellers.

You could be forgiven for wondering if some of these contractors had a direct line to those carrying out the procurement of these services, I'm of course not alleging anything. 

• Like 1

My sincere sympathies to you.

Somewhere along the line we were all duped into swallowing the notion that the more ' technology '  a simple process uses , the more efficient it was supposed to be compared with the ancient method of person to person conversation.

I can't say I have enjoyed any experience to support this notion.

The worst of it is that things are likely to get worse.

Pretty soon we will all be using inflatable dinghies to travel around when crossing the channel as it seems the asylum seekers have got the right idea after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

You could be forgiven for wondering if some of these contractors had a direct line to those carrying out the procurement of these services, I'm of course not alleging anything. 

Funny how such things should cross your mind - mine too, I wonder why?

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Trying to get the other way is no picnic either day 23 and still waiting for the bloody COE????

Hmmmm that's strange, I thought they were only taking a few days now.

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

made a big mistake with the first company I booked with and as a result, I found literally thousands of stories and complaints about them and many other testing providers.

Great article,re the tests on day 2 and day 8,as you say the real purpose is to get that all important booking ref number to put on the passenger locator form which is a must have to fly.

If you didnt manage to do these tests or get to the test location I believe the same testing kits are available for free or for very  little at pharmacies in the Uk.

Hope your wife makes it would be good to know how check in was handled by Klm.

14 minutes ago, sapson said:

She's just gone through check in now and she says it was fine - it should be, I put a lot of work in to make it so.  How the UK government expect someone who's first language is not English is expected to understand that Passenger Locator Form is beyond me.

I'll interrogate her further about check-in when she arrives ????.

Edited by KhaoYai

I hope, the original poster don't mind me adding a question about booking the two tests for day 2 and 8....

My english friend and his wife is travelling to England tomorrow on a KLM flight, and since he is very worried about all the paperwork involved getting to England I helped him booking the tests.

I wish, I had read this tread first though...

We managed to books the tests, pay for them and got online confirmation and also confirmation by e-mail.

But the problem is, my friend is so worried, that he won't be allowed to board the plane tomorrow, because he thinks, he need to book two more tests !

This is the confirmation, we got after payment, would you say we booked correctly for two passengers ?

michael_test_2_1.jpg

7 hours ago, North said:

This is the confirmation, we got after payment, would you say we booked correctly for two passengers ?

It looks fine to me.  The only potential problem is the names on the booking confirmation. I suspect all the paperwork will be in his name - really there should be 2 separate booking confirmations - 1 for each passenger. If all the paperwork is in one name, acceptance will be up to the check-in staff. 

When they each enter the booking number in to their Passenger Locator forms (PLF), they are checked for authenticity - its also possible that the number on the form has to match the name given - if there's anything wrong the form won't complete.  If the numbers are entered and the form moves on to the next step, to me that would mean that everything is OK and in a sensible world, that would be enough.

My opinion is that if the PLF completes - all is well but I'm not check in staff.

I suggest he gets to the airport very early so there's time to discuss any concerns the check in staff may have.  If you were asking me 'will the forms be accepted in the UK' I would say yes.  The whole point is to ensure that the tests are booked.  If both booking confirmations are in the same name - your friend will just have to hope he goes to a check-in desk staffed by sensible people.

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2021 at 3:08 PM, sapson said:

Wife in the UK and interrogation completed - no problems reported - I should hope not too, I went to great lengths to make sure everything was in order.

The only point of concern to me is that my wife said check-in was not handled by people in KLM uniforms. That suggests they are using outsourced staff.  I've had various problems with check-in staff over the years and its always been outsourced staff - they seem poorly trained and they appear to make rules up as they go along.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It looks fine to me.  The only potential problem is the names on the booking confirmation. I suspect all the paperwork will be in his name - really there should be 2 separate booking confirmations - 1 for each passenger. If all the paperwork is in one name, acceptance will be up to the check-in staff. 

When they each enter the booking number in to their Passenger Locator forms (PLF), they are checked for authenticity - its also possible that the number on the form has to match the name given - if there's anything wrong the form won't complete.  If the numbers are entered and the form moves on to the next step, to me that would mean that everything is OK and in a sensible world, that would be enough.

My opinion is that if the PLF completes - all is well but I'm not check in staff.

I suggest he gets to the airport very early so there's time to discuss any concerns the check in staff may have.  If you were asking me 'will the forms be accepted in the UK' I would say yes.  The whole point is to ensure that the tests are booked.  If both booking confirmations are in the same name - your friend will just have to hope he goes to a check-in desk staffed by sensible people.

Thanks for your reply.

When we ordered the tests, we could select how many we wanted.

It was only possible to enter one name though, and I think that is purely for the purpose of shipping the tests to the proper address in the UK.

Since there are two numbers, there is a unique number for each of them to use in the PLF, and since this booking number is checked right after you type it, I would suppose, it is sufficient.

Is there a requirement to attach a booking receipt to the PLF or to show that in the airport ?

Edited by North
spelling

OP. Thanks for posting this eye opener.

I plan to return to the UK as soon as possible once I have received my second AZ jab.

I only need a week there to sort some necessary affairs, but with quarantine and getting necessary paperwork and tests for return, it is looking like a longer, much more expensive stay as I will be staying in a hotel.

A daunting prospect.

.....and people wonder why international travel isn't rebounding like domestic travel!

This story is just another example of why the fantasy of Thai tourism returning in 2021 is nonsensical.

Who in their right mind is going o jump through these hoops for a couple of weeks in the sun?

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, GinBoy2 said:

.....and people wonder why international travel isn't rebounding like domestic travel!

This story is just another example of why the fantasy of Thai tourism returning in 2021 is nonsensical.

Who in their right mind is going o jump through these hoops for a couple of weeks in the sun?

Note - my posts are about my wife (Thai) travelling to the UK.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:27 PM, North said:

Is there a requirement to attach a booking receipt to the PLF or to show that in the airport ?

Apparently yes.  According to posts on Thaivisa, people have been asked for their receipt.  My wife wasn't - but her booking confirmation also contained the invoice.

I can't comment further on the names on the booking confirmation - they got my wife's wrong (put it in my name) and I wasn't prepared for her to turn up at the airport just for some jumped up check-in zealot to spot the wrong name and refuse her boarding.  I got it sorted before she went to the airport.

As I said in a previous post (I think) - if a correct booking reference has been entered on the PLF, there shouldn't be a problem with either the name or the invoice - you can't get a reference without paying and you can't complete the PLF without a valid reference number. However, I've had enough problems with check-in staff in the past to know you ain't going to win with them.  Better to have everything correct.

On 7/25/2021 at 2:43 AM, phetphet said:

I plan to return to the UK as soon as possible once I have received my second AZ jab.

Be aware that even with the recent changes to the rules - even if you have had both jabs, you will still   have to do 10 days home (or hotel but at least you choose which and how much) quarantine. The recent relaxation on that only applies to people vaccinated in the UK.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Note - my posts are about my wife (Thai) travelling to the UK.

Exactly right, and my point is that precisely the hoops your wife has to go through to travel to the UK is why no one in their right mind will travel to Thailand and have to subject themselves to this on each end of their 'vacation'

IMHO those who, on various other threads, have attempted to counter criticisms of the UK government's reluctance to provide vaccines for expats, through providing "advice" along the lines of "Just go back to the UK and get your jabs there if you're not happy about the situation here", would do little better than to read this particular thread from start to finish!  

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Not another nightmare but a pain in the proverbial.........

My wife visited the UK last year and despite the threats that she would be called to make sure she was at her isolation address - not one call.

This year its completely different - they've called every day so far.  The problem part is............remembering that although we speak English together most of the time and her English is quite reasonable - what she's never going to understand is someone with a strong Indian accent, on a bad line (Call center in India???), talking about data protection and the government's privacy policy being available at www. gov.uk ..............bla bla bla. The phone was immediately handed to me and it took me all of 2 seconds to identify the problem - I couldn't understand her either! 

I tried to explain to this irate lady that she needed to keep it simple and that my wife and I were having problems with her accent.  The woman clearly took offence and rattled on angrily.  She clearly had a script to read from and wasn't going to use any discretion.  My wife was asked several questions to establish her identity and in my opinoin, that should have been all that was necessary - she was who she claimed to be and was where she should be.  To cut a long story short, we ended up with a translator - no doubt at the expense of the UK tax payer.  That's one thing we do well in the UK, make everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Edited by KhaoYai

11 hours ago, theoldgit said:

And I believe are also normally resident in the UK.

Not sure on that but it could be.  All I heard is that for the moment, the relaxed rules only apply to vaccinations given in the UK.

On 7/25/2021 at 4:19 AM, GinBoy2 said:

You'd need a vacation after the vacation trip to calm down from all the aggravation.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Not sure on that but it could be.  All I heard is that for the moment, the relaxed rules only apply to vaccinations given in the UK.

There was an article in the Mail today claiming from Aug ist they will recognize jabs from abroad as well

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:19 PM, KhaoYai said:

My wife visited the UK last year and despite the threats that she would be called to make sure she was at her isolation address - not one call.

This year its completely different - they've called every day so far. 

Update to this - we haven't had a phone call since last Thursday, funds must be short.  The crazy thing is that when they do call, if you don't answer they call back later ????.  We missed a call - not because we were out but because they only let it ring 3 or 4 times before they hang up.  No questions as to why we hadn't answered the first call.

I'm convinced they're just ticking boxes - its not a serious check at all.