Thailand reports one VITT case in 5 million people given AstraZeneca vaccine

snoop1130

Bkk-vaccination-center_210723.jpg

Only one case of Vaccine-induced immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT), or clogged arteries, has been reported among more than five million people in Thailand who have received the AstraZeneca viral vector vaccine until July 11th, said Director-Deneral of Medical Sciences Department Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Friday).

The case is a 26-year old woman, who suffers from migraines. A lab test shows she has thrombocytopenia and high levels of D-dimer and positive Anti PF4/heparin antibodies. After being treated with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), her condition improved.

Dr. Supakit said that the VITT incidence among people in Thailand, who were inoculated with viral vector vaccines, is 1:5,000,000, which is much lower than the rate in many other countries, recorded at 1:125,000 up to 1:1,000,000, or 5-40 times higher than in Thailand.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-reports-one-vitt-case-in-5-million-people-given-astrazeneca-vaccine/

Logo-top-.png

Virus fears allayed: One in five million chance in Thailand of getting a blood clot from Astra Zeneca

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY4My84NDE1NTYyL2FzdHJhemVuZWNhLmpwZw==.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Dr Suphakit Sirilak of the Department of Medical Sciences said yesterday that data so far indicates a 1 in 5 million chance of getting a blood clot from the Astra Zeneca vaccine in Thailand. 

This is five to 40 times better than that announced abroad, he said. 

So far 5,360,745 doses of Astra Zeneca had been administered in Thailand up to July 11th.

The only person to get VITT (Vaccine-induced Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia) was a 26 year old woman who experienced worse migraines than before due to a low platelet count that was addressed with medication. 

This one in 5 million complication compared to the likelihood announced in studies outside Thailand of between 1 in 125,000 and one in a million.

So Thailand was 5 to 40 times better so far. 

This relates to vaccines called viral vector vaccine, like Astra Zeneca and Pfizer.

Sanook reported that the doctor's observations come as some people in Thailand fear having vaccinations, irrational nonsense according to the data when compared to the consequences of potential severe illness from catching Covid when not vaccinated. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-24

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

So why is it not available??? why only in most cases Sinovac???

All the other problems of people died of the 229 were Sinovac related??

Are there already million jabs of Astra given here already??

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

So far 5,360,745 doses of Astra Zeneca had been administered in Thailand up to July 11th.

Good data point

12,469,188 total doses administered through 11 July.

~ 43 % AZ, which is much higher than other figures I've seen from the government, which is closer to 63/37 sinovac/az

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Only one case of Vaccine-induced immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT), or clogged arteries, has been reported among more than five million people in Thailand who have received the AstraZeneca viral vector vaccine until July 11th, said Director-Deneral of Medical Sciences Department Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Friday).

My guess in a country with a similar population as the UK, the adverse reactions of Astrazenaca will be downplayed if reported at all.  Huge conflict of interests exist here. 

It's not like Thailand has a robust reporting system on par with the US VAERS, UK Yellow-Card, or the EU EudraVigilance system.
I've haven't heard the MoH ever state that Thailand has a formal vaccine adverse event reporting system.  And I doubt they'll start one now.  Who want's bad press when the goal is to sell hundreds of millions shots for Thai stakeholders?

Here is a screen shot for Astrazenaca adverse reactions listing Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (and other blood issues) from July 14, 2021 from the UK Yellow Card system taken from their official site (link below).
843 reported acute cases of Thrombocytopenia with 6 deaths.

UKAdverseBlood.png.22ef0eaeb8f1540200b61e4dd5e422d7.png
Now granted, the UK has over half their population vaccinated.  Once Thailand matches that number these events should rise, but probably not.  Again - bad press is anathema to selling shots.
And is Thailand only going to report VITT?  The Yellow Card report for July 14th is a 121 page PDF listing adverse reactions linked to AZ. 

Source PDF available here via the UK government:  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005197/COVID-19_vaccine_AstraZeneca_analysis_print.pdf

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

My guess in a country with a similar population as the UK, the adverse reactions of Astrazenaca will be downplayed if reported at all.  Huge conflict of interests exist here. 

It's not like Thailand has a robust reporting system on par with the US VAERS, UK Yellow-Card, or the EU EudraVigilance system.
I've haven't heard the MoH ever state that Thailand has a formal vaccine adverse event reporting system.  And I doubt they'll start one now.  Who want's bad press when the goal is to sell hundreds of millions shots for Thai stakeholders?

Here is a screen shot for Astrazenaca adverse reactions listing Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (and other blood issues) from July 14, 2021 from the UK Yellow Card system taken from their official site (link below).
843 reported acute cases of Thrombocytopenia with 6 deaths.

Now granted, the UK has over half their population vaccinated.  Once Thailand matches that number these events should rise, but probably not.  Again - bad press is anathema to selling shots.
And is Thailand only going to report VITT?  The Yellow Card report for July 14th is a 121 page PDF listing adverse reactions linked to AZ. 

UKAdverseBlood.png.22ef0eaeb8f1540200b61e4dd5e422d7.png
Source PDF available here:  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005197/COVID-19_vaccine_AstraZeneca_analysis_print.pdf

And just like the VAERS system in the USA, the Yellow Card System does NOT REPORT adverse reactions. It reports adverse events. That means that any symptom that follows vaccination can be reported to the Yellow Card System. Such reports definitely do not imply causality. Given that there are now 10's of million of vaccinated Britons, it's inevitable that millions will experience some health problem. It's not like these vaccines make you Superman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Supakit said that the VITT incidence among people in Thailand, who were inoculated with viral vector vaccines, is 1:5,000,000, which is much lower than the rate in many other countries, recorded at 1:125,000 up to 1:1,000,000, or 5-40 times higher than in Thailand.

More likely Thailand reports those VITT incidences 5-40 times less often.

There are more cases of VITT, as many are unreported and bit arrogant for thai health authorities to believe otherwise.

Anyways, glad the young lady survived.She was very lucky.

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

So why is it not available??? why only in most cases Sinovac???

All the other problems of people died of the 229 were Sinovac related??

Are there already million jabs of Astra given here already??

A lot of unwanted results are swept under the carpet. many thais dont want the chinees jabs because it seems useless. maybe the militairy keep moderna for themselves

51 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Of course it would, this is Thailand.

Like I say, when it's 5 to 40 times less reported, then their statistics show they are 5 to 40 times better.  Amazing Thailand. 

2 hours ago, connda said:

Like I say, when it's 5 to 40 times less reported, then their statistics show they are 5 to 40 times better.  Amazing Thailand. 

I'll bet the average Thai is in better shape cardiovascularly than the average Brit. That might have something to do with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Paradise Pete

I have no medical qualifications so my speculation may be derided.

It seems to me that only women of child bearing age or recently so have been getting this rare blood clot. How many of them are on oral contraception or have been until recently? There is a well documented history of increased risk of blood clots in women taking the pill. In combination with the vaccine could this lead to an increased susceptibility to blood clotting?