Pattaya mayor admits reopening plan is in trouble but presses on

webfact

On 7/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, RayD said:

The World Health Organization, after looking at data from around the world, had concluded lockdowns are ineffective, so you could open up now for all the difference it would make. The Thai government is simply copying what was done in the west, without realizing that that was political, not medical. 

I think you are right. This study concludes that initial lockdowns are effective but subsequent lockdowns have only a small effect on transmission. Also, the benefits of any lockdown decrease significantly after about 20 days.

https://voxeu.org/article/declining-effectiveness-lockdowns 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 3:26 PM, fulhamster said:

So when Pattaya is opened up to the double-vaccinated tourists, they will still let unvaccinated expats wander around with them ?

and why not? Haven't we been told that as long as one is vaccinated, one is safe? Unless, of course, they decided that that isn't true after all

BTW, no one HAS to wander around with other people. They can choose to stay in with a good book or the internet instead.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

WHO has recommended tougher lockdowns for Thailand today.  

I have to wonder if these people are worth listening to, they got so much wrong in the early days, and their being in the palm of China is a strong rumour. What more is there for Thailand... shut down all the workplaces and block travel 24/7 is about it? Doesn't bear thinking about without some help from the government ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

I think you are right. This study concludes that initial lockdowns are effective but subsequent lockdowns have only a small effect on transmission. Also, the benefits of any lockdown decrease significantly after about 20 days.

https://voxeu.org/article/declining-effectiveness-lockdowns 

Once you have locked people down they have to stay locked down untill the virus abates. That could be months. The people in the deep red zones are under house arrest untill then?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/25/2021 at 8:26 AM, mikebell said:

'The number of new Covid-19 infections is on a steep upward curve, doubling or tripling weekly, a Department of Disease Control (DDC) official said on Saturday.'

'On Saturday a total of 14,575 new infections and 114 deaths were recorded,'

These figures are from yesterday.  I am sure many of them were doing all the things you suggested yet somehow contrived to contract the disease.  At 78 with no Pattaya vaccine in sight, yes I'm running scared.

As I have suggested on previous posts all you have to do is take a taxi ride to Bang Sue station in Bangkok. Over 75 can walk in for AZ vaccine-what's the problem? And it's free. Return taxi plus waiting 2400 baht. And you get an appointment for 2nd dose. And on week-days it is not crowded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pattaya1234was said:

As I have suggested on previous posts all you have to do is take a taxi ride to Bang Sue station in Bangkok. Over 75 can walk in for AZ vaccine-what's the problem? And it's free. Return taxi plus waiting 2400 baht. And you get an appointment for 2nd dose. And on week-days it is not crowded.

Looked like a massive crowd on tv yesterday