Non-Immigrant O visa for purpose of retirement (90 days) and health insurance

I am attempting to apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa for the purpose of retirement (90 days) from the UK. The Thai Embassy website says it's easy to apply and that an agent is not required, however having filled in the application on the https://thaievisa.go.th/ website it takes me to a page to upload documents. It is requesting 3 mandatory documents - without uploading all 3 it won't let me submit the application.

Item 5: Financial evidence (Bank statements) - I have no problem with this

Item 6 : Financial evidence - what is this???

Item 7 : Proof of health insurance 40k out patient, 400k in patient - The Thai Embassy website (and everywhere else I have read) says health insurance is only required for an OA visa 

Has anybody got any ideas what I can upload for items 2 and 3 or have any suggestions how I can get passed this - I have triple checked my application and it is definitely for a  Non-Immigrant O visa for the purpose of retirement (90 days) - If I can't find a way around it I'll have to use an agent which I don't really want to do - hoping someone else has applied for the same visa and can give me some ideas

ps It also wants me to upload proof of permanent residency in the UK - Would I be correct in thinking this would be a property rental agreement?

Many thanks

Visa uploads req 01.JPG

Thanks BritTim - I did look at that option but from what I have read I would need a Thai Bank account and it is not easy to open a Thai Bank account on the visa exemption route. 

Do you know if it is possible to open a Thai Bank account using the exemption route and what document are required for that?

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, TimF said:

Do you know if it is possible to open a Thai Bank account using the exemption route and what document are required for that?

I suggest you use an agent for the bank account. A previous poster outlined using Siam Legal. Think they use Bangkok Bank (not sure).

It was cheap.

Main reason for suggesting this is speed. 

People have opened a bank account with visa exempt, however has become more difficult.

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks Dr JAck54

Siam Legal is the agent I was thinking of using in the UK for the Non-O visa application if I can't figure it out myself (which doesn't look likely). I see that they offer opening a bank account service for 150 dollars so I might try exploring that avenue - I'm just concerned that I may end up running out of "visa" and having to return to the UK

If you enter Thailand with a Non O visa receiving a 90-day permission to stay, you have a maximum of 30 days to ensure you have a Thai bank account and 800k baht deposited when you want to apply for a one-year extension of stay at the end of the 90 days. If you enter visa exempt (45 days plus 30-day extension) you have a maximum of 60 days to open a Thai bank account and deposit 800k baht before applying for a Non O visa. (You must apply for the visa with at least 15 days left on your permission to stay, but the money only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply for the visa.)

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, TimF said:

Item 7 : Proof of health insurance 40k out patient, 400k in patient - The Thai Embassy website (and everywhere else I have read) says health insurance is only required for an OA visa 

I sympathise with the OP, because I don't understand that either. But if it is the case, and someone enters with a Non Imm O 90 day visa having fulfilled that insurance requirement, and then goes on to apply for an 'O' extension, are they required still to have that insurance, i.e. they're stuck with that requirement for ever? If not, presumably you just buy the 40k/400k insurance for 90 days?

25 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I sympathise with the OP, because I don't understand that either. But if it is the case, and someone enters with a Non Imm O 90 day visa having fulfilled that insurance requirement, and then goes on to apply for an 'O' extension, are they required still to have that insurance, i.e. they're stuck with that requirement for ever? If not, presumably you just buy the 40k/400k insurance for 90 days?

It is only required to apply for a new non-o visa based upon retirement (covid 19 entry rules). The insurance only needs to valid for 90 days from the date of entry. It is not required to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:43 PM, BritTim said:

My suggestion is that you instead enter Thailand visa exempt, and apply for the Non O visa from within Thailand. This is simpler, and avoids the requirement for health insurance. In addition, when you apply for the Certificate of Entry (COE) that you also need to enter Thailand, you must provide evidence of Covid insurance of US$100,000 for the duration of the permission to stay you receive on entry to Thailand. For a visa exempt entry, this is only 45 days, but 90 days if entering with a Non O visa.

The insurance I had for Covid covered my application for a Non O at the London Embassy.

The proof of residence is your passport, when I applied for my Non O in April I uploaded my State Pension Statement, for the other Financial bit I uploaded a bank statement.

I did call the Embassy as only your Pension Statement is required but they said upload a Bank Statement as well, unless you upload a Bank Statement the site won’t let you continue.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:27 PM, DrJack54 said:

I suggest you use an agent for the bank account. A previous poster outlined using Siam Legal. Think they use Bangkok Bank (not sure).

It was cheap.

Main reason for suggesting this is speed. 

People have opened a bank account with visa exempt, however has become more difficult.

Absolutely right. I used Siam Legal in 2015 and they do use Bangkok Bank. Very easy process to do as the Bank is almost opposite the offices across the street. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:01 AM, BritTim said:

If you enter Thailand with a Non O visa receiving a 90-day permission to stay, you have a maximum of 30 days to ensure you have a Thai bank account and 800k baht deposited when you want to apply for a one-year extension of stay at the end of the 90 days.

That 30 days is essentially 14 days given that you spend the first 15-16 days in hotel quarantine. But it is still possible. I did it last year. I opened a bank account on the first day I left quarantine (Bangkok Bank using Siam Legal) and then using Transferwise the funds were there a couple of days later. So plenty of time. If you use a conventional bank then the transfer could take 5 working days.

As to the Insurance question, I don't know what the current requirements are. It is quite possible that for a new 90-day Non-O based on retirement you do in fact need the 40/400k insurance, but for a simple re-entry on an existing Non-O extension obtained in Thailand, you don't. 

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

As to the Insurance question, I don't know what the current requirements are. It is quite possible that for a new 90-day Non-O based on retirement you do in fact need the 40/400k insurance, but for a simple re-entry on an existing Non-O extension obtained in Thailand, you don't. 

Unless this has recently changed, you will not receive a Certificate of Entry (COE) to return to Thailand with a re-entry permit for an extension of stay based on retirement without the 400k/40k insurance.

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Unless this has recently changed, you will not receive a Certificate of Entry (COE) to return to Thailand with a re-entry permit for an extension of stay based on retirement without the 400k/40k insurance.

That depends upon the embassy or official consulate where you apply for the COE at.

Many have been reported as not requiring the insurance. The embassies in the UK and the US have been reported as not requiring it.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Many reports of the UK embassy not requiring the 40/400k for a re-entry permit, and reading their website it is clear to me that it is not required. 

On 7/27/2021 at 1:48 AM, Tuvoc said:

reading their website it is clear to me that it is not required.

Have to question that particular assertion, actually: all that the Embassy's website appears to say on this point explicitly is the following ambiguously-worded statement:-

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

- Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

It obviously proved too much of a superhuman effort for those Masters Of Confusion And Total Obscurity at the Embassy to add just 1 brief simple sentence to explain that this particular requirement did not apply to those intending to re-enter Thailand on the basis of a re-entry permit granted for a retirement extension.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Have to question that particular assertion, actually: all that the Embassy's website appears to say on this point explicitly is the following ambiguously-worded statement:-

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

- Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

It obviously proved too much of a superhuman effort for those Masters Of Confusion And Total Obscurity at the Embassy to add just 1 brief simple sentence to explain that this particular requirement did not apply to those intending to re-enter Thailand on the basis of a re-entry permit granted for a retirement extension.

You might want to wait a while before heading to TL as i hv a feeling the health insurance requirement will be evetually waived or watered down.  
All the ASEAN countries r presently rushing to vaccinate their population to 70-90% before opening up as their economies cannot absorb the financial impact of being locked down any further .
The rush to open up to vaccinated visitors will be lead by Singapore, followed by Malaysia n subsequently TL ..
As the first 2 countries will likely not require hefty health insurance (this makes no sense for vaccinated visitors !!)  to allow visitors in, TL will be forced to do the same to compete
It also makes sense to wait as the covid nos r going up in TL now; but u will need to get yourself vaccinated for ease of travel later on ..

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Further up before that section:

Required documents for the Certificate of Entry (apart from visa or re-entry permit) :