Thailand reports daily record of 15,335 coronavirus cases, 129 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Some of the anti-lockdown people point to the fact that Thailand has so many road deaths that the virus just isn't a big deal. 

They fail to understand that lockdowns also serve to reduce road deaths. 

Yes, and these deaths are in addition to road deaths that many will argue, unnecessarily!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Isn't that basically what I said...individuals are just as responsible as the authorities in deciding which way this pandemic goes ?

No !

You asked for ' Ways " specifically 

So I posted one for you

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

As noted those are numbers for a province with a population of 1.8 million. totaling 2358 since April 1.

So are the numbers rising or not? The statement made by the op was that cases are rising in the provinces. I believe you posted case numbers for a province. I’m not sure what the population of one province and the total number of cases in that province since 1st April, have to do with whether cases in the provinces are rising or not.

in general, cases in the provinces are rising, and the province for which you posted case numbers is no exception. I guess you were just confirming the original statement.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Wuhan style lockdown is where we'll be if things don't change here right now, and the public is as responsible for for taking action right now as the authorities.

Pulling out all the stops may not stop the Delta variant, but it will certainly slow it down.  Doing nothing will only result in the worst possible scenario.

I'm fine with lockdowns personally, however stricter lockdowns to slow it down by a few weeks? I understand why people don't see that as a great trade off.

Key is getting elderly vaccinated, and with 20% of population 60+, that's within reach in the coming months. Mortality rates should ease by an order of magnitude once that's taken care of.

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I agree with most of what you say but Thailand is not really a third world country, and in fact is the wealthiest asian country in the region.  The Kingdom is capable of far more than it has delivered IMO.  

I don't know why the restrictions that are in place are not being diligently enforced, or why the public is taking such as lackadaisical attitude about following them .  It makes no sense. 

If they were respected by the public and enforced by the authorities, that alone could turn the tide on the rapidly rising new cases.  That and a more robust vaccination rollout could really start to turn things around quicker than anyone could imagine.

The exponential rise in new cases shows what happens when things just remain the same ????

For what it's worth Malaysia and Singapore both have higher per capita GDPs than does Thailand. But your basic point is correct. Thailand is considered an upper middle income nation and certainly has the financial resources to do a lot more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Think like an economist, in which case factories will pop into your mind. Lots of cases, lots of clusters, big part of the economy, both financially and in terms of maintaining essential products like food stuffs.

Great point. I got lost in my own daily life and didn't consider factories.

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

then think like a psychologist and work out where most Thai people meet up every single day, and markets may come to mind. Again, constant sources of new cases and part of the fabric of Thai society in many ways.

This one I did consider. The local markets and supermarkets seem almost impossible close. They are too critical to daily life. Besides Wuhan, I don't know of anywhere that closed grocery stores.

10 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

I'm fine with lockdowns personally, however stricter lockdowns to slow it down by a few weeks? I understand why people don't see that as a great trade off.

Key is getting elderly vaccinated, and with 20% of population 60+, that's within reach in the coming months. Mortality rates should ease by an order of magnitude once that's taken care of.

I agree that a super strict lockdown is not a bad thing.  That's fair trade-off IMO.  A few weeks of staying home with provincial borders completely sealed, and all of it enforced (not simple "suggested") to get the exponential growth under control is not a heavy price to pay.

Considering the exponential growth that is occurring right now, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do the math and realize what that means if less stringent measures continue.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Wuhan style lockdown is where we'll be if things don't change here right now, and the public is as responsible for for taking action right now as the authorities.

Pulling out all the stops may not stop the Delta variant, but it will certainly slow it down.  Doing nothing will only result in the worst possible scenario.

but you will not escape the worst possible scenario, so what's the point? it's too late, just open up and live with it

people will take their own responsibility, if they want to stay lockdowns, nothing will stop them

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

20% of the population would mean about 15 million people. At an average of 250k people per day, it would take 60 days to vaccinate those 15 million people with one shot. Then another 60 days for a second shot. So 4 months to fully vaccinate 15 million people. 

the math isn’t perfect because they would be giving second jabs before finishing the first jabs. But given that they currently only do an average of 250k people a day, presumably doing second jabs would delay some first jabs.

anyway, if vaccines were solely directed at over 60 year old people, maybe 4 months is a ball park number. I take your word for the 20% figure.

trouble is, not all jabs will go to over 60’s. Krabi, Phangna, Pattaya, all want to do a sandbox, so will want jabs for their population in general. That will reduce the number available for over 60’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Great point. I got lost in my own daily life and didn't consider factories.

This one I did consider. The local markets and supermarkets seem almost impossible close. They are too critical to daily life. Besides Wuhan, I don't know of anywhere that closed grocery stores.

I think you got factionalized wrt factories 5555

i believe that in Singapore they restrict the number of people entering supermarkets at any given time and make people follow a one way circuit through the supermarket with their trolleys so that people don’t mix. But even Singapore is struggling with hawker centres. Just too many ingress points. For Thai markets I think you would have to rope off the perimeter and create some kind of one system. But it wouldn’t last 5 minutes in practice.

Edited by wensiensheng

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

What does that mean?  That's a pretty defeatist attitude.  A positive outcome to this pandemic depends on what we all do to fight it, not simply resigning ourselves to losing the fight.  People have a responsibility to that fight, not only for themselves but for others around them as well.  It's not about the individual, it's about the population as a whole.

you already lost that fight, that's what people don't understand

even with the vaccine, and only with the vaccine, we can survive that thing

every other mean is just delusional projection and denial, a very typical trait of Thais and a majority of expats living in Thailand

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately, the people who are responsible,  who should be responsible, are not doing their job, or are not in the country . Financially, Thailand is not third world, but the government certainly is. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

What does that mean?  That's a pretty defeatist attitude, and it's also irresponsible to others you live in proximity to .  A positive outcome to this pandemic depends on what we all do to fight it, not simply resigning ourselves to losing the fight. 

We ALL have a responsibility to that fight, not only for our own personal well being but for the well being of others around us. 

It's not about the individual, it's about the population as a whole.  Either you are a team player or you lose and so does everybody else as a result.

there is no "team" when facing that kind of catastrophe, we all go back to our primitive instinct

it's wired in us, and there is nothing you can do to change that, not even logical explanation

jesus, some people are just dreamers ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dkg224 said:

Guaranteed the actual case number is way higher. Trying to get a PCR test for my girlfriend to get into Samui. 
hospital in Buriram near her home we go at 10am. Sorry no more tests. We can only test 100 people per day. You need to come at 5 or 6am to get in line for testing at 8am

so stop in Hua Hin on the way down. 
bangkok hospital Hua Hin - closed for Covid testing 

government hospital Hua Hin - only test limited number certain days per week. No testing today and tomorrow. Can try to book appointment online for Tuesday 

Limit tests, keep true numbers down

not surprised at all, not a bad solution, soon Thai government could claim they took back control of the situation, and they can open up again ????

problem solved, and frankly, there is nothing else they can do. You guys will need to learn how to live with it while waiting 2022 for your vaccination program

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You are wrong, people will join hands to support each other when faced with a disaster, even with covid this has been evidenced many times in many countries.

LOL,

maybe small pockets of people, but that's it, the rest don't care

• Sad 2

If somebody who dont know, ask me how to describe leaders in Thailand i need to use google!

But if they are both what can do! This is what google say, I put search "difference between idiot and fool!:

As nouns the difference between idiot and fool

is that idiot is (pejorative) a common term for a person of low general intelligence while fool is (pejorative) a person with poor judgment or little intelligence.

Only question is how Thai junta be same time both!?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, w94005m said:

Many thanks. Where did you get the foreigner deaths breakdown?

It's listed in the daily MOPH report on deaths that comes only in TH language... The post I was responding to included a link to that document. But here's the original again. If you don't read Thai, then the Google Translate app on a mobile phone and its camera/translate function is your friend.

The nationalities breakdown is the very last line of TH text at the bottom of the left side column.

716578048_2021-07-25Deaths.jpg.dcbbc0a96e9c683ad3e0748d64f0c2c8.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

FULL..............this is where it gets to be a nightmare scenario for the doctors who have to decide who to save and who to let die as a result of no facilities

Hospital bed capacity in Bangkok and vicinity right now. Overcapacity for AIIR ICU, Modified AIIR, Cohort ICU, Isolated rooms, Cohort ward.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1419229744134955017

We'll be seeing the same thing here in Chonburi province and in many other provinces if serious measures are not taken by both the authorities and the public at large NOW.

We have ALL been too relaxed and ignorant of how fast this situation is escalating, or how serious it is getting.  I'm not saying this in a doom-and-gloom way. 

I mean, It's time to get down to seriously dealing with this with more than words by the authorities, and more than just complacency by the public..

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

We'll be seeing the same thing here in Chonburi province and in many other provinces if serious measures are not taken by both the authorities and the public at large NOW.

I’m curious.   What serious measures would you implement to change the course of the virus now it is up to 15K per day?  What do you want the authorities to do that you think will actually make a difference at this stage?

• Sad 3

47 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Key is getting elderly vaccinated, and with 20% of population 60+, that's within reach in the coming months.

They've got almost 20% of their 70% TARGET for the elderly population given a FIRST shot thus far, and only about 1 percent of their TARGET given a second shot.

The percentages vaccinated in both categories are much smaller if you're talking about the shares vaccinated out of those groups' entire numbers in the population, and not just their 70% portion.

In other words, they're nowhere close at present.

22 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

If somebody who dont know, ask me how to describe leaders in Thailand i need to use google!

But if they are both what can do! This is what google say, I put search "difference between idiot and fool!:

As nouns the difference between idiot and fool

is that idiot is (pejorative) a common term for a person of low general intelligence while fool is (pejorative) a person with poor judgment or little intelligence.

Only question is how Thai junta be same time both!?

Perfect practice makes perfect.

• Like 1