Thailand reports daily record of 15,335 coronavirus cases, 129 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thai volunteers step up as Covid-19 Delta cases send hospitals to ‘point of collapse’

Thanapon Songput, a worker at the non-profit Mirror Foundation, has been arranging to provide oxygen tanks for Covid-19 patients around Thailand’s capital in the past month.

The group allocates up to 90 tanks for about 15 patients a day, but the overwhelming demand has rendered its efforts almost futile. Thanapon said one patient died as she called to plead for help from the foundation.

“We could never work fast enough. We asked her to wait, but it was too late,” he said.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3142317/coronavirus-thai-volunteers-step-delta-cases-send

A good thing that Thailand has only a small fraction of the number of cases seen in many other countries then, isn't it. The system would have collapsed after a couple of days. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

On Saturday, the Department of Disease Control (DDC) said the number of new cases could double or even triple in the coming weeks.

I'd change could to guaranteed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

When I .... think about what this Government thinks truly of the lower class of people it makes me angry knowing that it may be a form of allowed genocide.

It certainly points that way with their internment of migrant workers and reported non-provision of food and water for them. That has had to be largely provided by foreigners. But I think it's simply down to their total ineptitude. They just haven't got a clue what to do and are completely out of their depth. It's not the government's fault though - the PM said so while blaming the people. That's the Thai way - always someone else's fault.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ABCbangkok said:

April 23, 2021, Nation Newspaper:

“The government aims to procure 100 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine for 50 million people before the year-end, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Friday evening.”

July 24, 2021:

“The news comes after the Prime Minister's Office on Friday said that 13 million more vaccine doses will be administered throughout August - 8 million AstraZeneca doses and 5 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine.

As of Friday, Thailand had administered approximately 15.4 million vaccine doses.”

Dec 24, 2021:

Prime Minister Prayut Cha-o-cha announces that he has ordered the Health Minister to investigate why only a total 20 million vaccine doses have been administered this year. He has also asked his top advisors and business leaders what else can be done to lower the daily infection from 40,000. He is asking the people to strictly follow current restrictions.”

Such a childish statement. It’s the most critical issue facing the nation. He and his ministers should have the answer at their finger tips right now. They should have been “investigating” every single day that the vaccine roll out was below target, which is to say every single day except for one.

NOW he decides there is a need to know such essential information. SMH.

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

We don't need testing to tell us that things were a lot better than. Hospital ICU units and critical care beds weren't in short supply.

So can you tell me how far wide the wuhan strain spread, the strain that didn't transmit half as much as the Alpha UK strain of which the Delta strain transmission is three times more contagious again?We were talking about how far the original strain spread not what effect it had on the health system.So without testing tell me how far the original strain spread.Don't go off on some tangent about ICU units and critical care beds try and stick to the point of our discussion which is how far the virus spread.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

If we had the western vaccines, the infected rate would be close to this but the death rate would fall. Isn't that what we all wish for?

Obviously. But what has that got to do with what I posted? If you want to make a post that has no relevance to other peoples posts, just make a new one instead of doing a reply.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The public also needs to take this much more seriously, and the authorities need to make sure they do.  There are entirely too many people walking around in public selfishly not practicing proper social distancing and mask wearing.

These people are but the tip of the Iceberg when it comes to ways of either avoiding, or downright ignoring of any Covid measures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HampiK said:

Are the 3'000 workers from the factory in Pechabun already included?

stop asking difficult questions - that would need some co-ordination, something that's lacking in LOS. 

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Vaccinations update by target group:

Note: the percentages below are NOT the amounts of those total populations vaccinated. The percentages ARE share of the government's lesser 70% target goals that have been vaccinated thus far.

The one thing that stands out to me below is... how far they still have to go, and how little they've done thus far, in vaccinating the most vulnerable age 60 and above population, only 19% of their goal having received a first shot, and just over 1% of their goal having received both shots.

But hey, more than 70% of Phuket's population has received their first shot, and they're open to vaccinated tourists again, so life is GOOD!  ????

1651412126_2021-07-24VaccinationsbyTargetGroup.thumb.jpg.868095101a5c9df77f549e302507de89.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/371832967768367

Dismal priority list aside from the Medical staff which they got right. 

Age 60+ and those with 7 Chronic Diseases well below Government staff and even general public!

There is no justification for this, none whatsoever. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea that event lead to quite a few cases, including me having to isolate for a while. Two teachers from my daughters school went there and got infected, 3 students and one parent as a result got infected from them. 

The cashier at the event who my wife knows came to our house the following day for a couple of hours before it was known about the outbreak. Consequently until she was tested we had to stay at home.

Not aware of any indoor club there, there were another couple of indoor clubs in Patong that also had an event at the same time however. I guess some may have moved onto there as well but the actual infections that I'm referring to were all at Cafe del Mar event in Kamala which was outdoors round the pool area.

We are in agreement (I hope!). The infection spread started in the outdoor venue in Kamala and a fairly large, known group, continued from there to party at Illuzion night club in Patong. Covid Iinfections were then also reported from staff etc at Illuzion. My post was intended to emphasise indoor and outdoor infections at the same time from potentially the same group.

Edited by Rhacsyn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, arick said:

Local district hospitals in Chiayaphum are doing them for free and it takes two hours for results. 

The issue is that positive results don’t count in the official stats. If you get a positive result from the quickie test, then you take an RT-PCR test for confirmation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very easy actually.

And?Oh I see it's very easy to say it's very easy.Please elucidate for it would be very easy to inform the global community on your very easy method of containing the spread of this virus.It maybe a little late for this pandemic but it may come in handy for the future pandemics.As it stands now nearly every country in the world has tried various methods and failed.Australia is one example of achieving some success and is being watched closely to see if they can still pull it off.Please don't leave out any of the finer details of your plan on how to implement such an easy method that has eluded some of the best minds in the world. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rhacsyn said:

We are in agreement (I hope!). The infection spread started in the outdoor venue in Kamala and a fairly large, known group, continued from there to party at Illuzion night club in Patong. Covid Iinfections were then also reported from staff etc at Illuzion. My post was to emphasise indoor and outdoor infections at the same time from potentially the same group.

I guess so, however the teachers who attended did not go anywhere else after Kamala, they went home after so they contracted it from there only. I know them and their timelines were published in the school so everybody could be aware.

• Like 1

From the 140 active clusters in Bangkok, 112 have reported cases in the past 14 days including 39 in worker camps & working sites, 33 at businesses & factories, 21 around markets & shopping centres, 15 at residential areas, 5 at care homes & 8 others.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1419185103037603844

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Today there are supplies of vaccines out there on the global market for countries determined to secure them.  Thailand is NOT doing everything possible to do that, not by a long stretch.

And we all know why that is...................

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You mean when they weren’t testing?

The question I answered was how would it be possible, within a short time frame, to stop people traveling. My answer was that is was possible during the 2020 total lockdown in spring of last year.

testing was not part of the question, or answer.

• Like 1

Posts containing a graphic have been removed. The posts did not have an adequate source. Replies to these posts have also been removed.

Please use the most accurate source you can and provide a link to that source.

It is not acceptable to say something like: Source, the BBC.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

it was also recently reported that farting in a confined space could spread covid from an infected person - I kid you not, studies are now being carried out 

I think I raised this issue recently.I also watch the vid posted here (it was promptly deleted) made by the Foreign Correspondence Club Thailand and one of the guests was the Doctor who pioneered the testing of sewage systems to detect the virus early and he said studies show that the virus can be detected in 24 to 48 hours after infection which is much quicker as the body begins to shed the virus through fecal matter much earlier than the onset of symptoms.Of course I was not taken seriously by fellow forumites.So it's interesting to see it is being taken seriously by other more intelligent folks.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Dismal priority list aside from the Medical staff which they got right. 

Well, if you call vaccinating most of the medical staff with Sinovac "getting it right"...  ????

And now having to go back and give all of them 3rd shots of either AZ or Pfizer (that if they had done it right in the first place, otherwise could have been used among the general public).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2