Thailand reports daily record of 15,335 coronavirus cases, 129 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, sead said:

Currently in Sweden and how it would possibly look in Thailand if the dear PM Prayuth concentrated on buying vaccines instead of vasting time and efforts enforcing lock downs all the times

Wouldn't it be nice to see scenes like that again here in the Magic Kingdom, instead of the depressing look of barren streets and closed stores businesses we see now? 

Now, walking around Pattaya shortly before curfew is like stepping through into the Twilight Zone.  It's very sad and makes me miss the good old days like when I first came here.  I wonder if it will ever really be the same again.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think I raised this issue recently.I also watch the vid posted here (it was promptly deleted) made by the Foreign Correspondence Club Thailand and one of the guests was the Doctor who pioneered the testing of sewage systems to detect the virus early and he said studies show that the virus can be detected in 24 to 48 hours after infection which is much quicker as the body begins to shed the virus through fecal matter much earlier than the onset of symptoms.Of course I was not taken seriously by fellow forumites.So it's interesting to see it is being taken seriously by other more intelligent folks.  

Days before the recent outbreak in Adelaide Australia, the SA Health Dept detected virus in an Adelaide suburb sewage catchment.

Sadly, they did not act upon it, thinking it was from a previously quarantined infected overseas traveller.

The traveller had been recently released from quarantine, no longer infectious after swabbing negative numerous times, and lived in that area.

Evidently virus can be detected in your faeces weeks after officially being declared virus free with negative nasal swabs.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Indeed and I have adjusted my post. Doesn't change the fact that the article is not about delta. 

This is.....

One of the world's leading epidemiologists and health economists, Eric Feigl-Ding, this week put Australia’s COVID woes on the international stage, highlighting cases of suspected outdoor transmission at the MCG and some early cases in the Bondi outbreak as particularly “worrying". 

Dr Feigl-Ding, a Senior Fellow at the Federation of American Scientists and former Harvard Professor, said the cases appeared to show transmission between strangers with no direct contact.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-23/australia-covid-19-delta-spread-gives-experts-insight/100313568

According to that ABC article, the outdoors is still much safer.

"Say you have a bit of blue dye, for example, and you put it in a fish tank, it’ll be trapped; if it’s in the ocean, it’ll be lost. That's what you have to think about when assessing the difference between outdoor and indoor transmission." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Well many on here have said 20,000 in August and it is definitely heading there. Now over 4000 deaths and tomorrow into the 500,000 club for total infections on the covid charts. Complete and utter mismanagement by a shambolic government of empty heads not fit for purpose.

Your last sentence makes me think of my country. 

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

"Very easy actually."This is your reply saying that it is very easy to implement an "effective" travel restriction.I ask how you would very easily implement an effective travel restriction, provincial or other, remembering that crucial supplies must be maintained in and out of Bangkok.You don't seemed to have satisfactorily supplied your very easy method.I did mention OZ and those that ordered it and those that implemented it said it was extremely difficult.In the case of the Vic "ring of Steel" the police have said they don't want to do it again because it was too difficult.In the case of the Thai provincial restriction would you say that it's effective?Sure it's easy to say there are restrictions in place but can supply any evidence of their effectiveness?Can you say that it was easy for anyone to order and enforce even the limited restrictions that are now in place?Management control 101 you say but is it effective management control 101 or is it a sad joke?

Geez move on. With zero thought I would off top of head suggest.

No restrictions for trucks. Excluding any carrying passengers.

Strick form to fill in for inter provience travel. Meaning strick reason for essential travel. Currently basically zero reason required.

Anyone catching a bus must have clearance form for reason to travel.

Checkpoints.

No domestic flights (which basically they have done) 

Simple list with few examples for starters. I'm sure you get the drift. Perhaps add few more yourself. It's not difficult.

Read it few times if required.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Days before the recent outbreak in Adelaide Australia, the SA Health Dept detected virus in an Adelaide suburb sewage catchment.

Sadly, they did not act upon it, thinking it was from an previously quarantined infected overseas traveller.

The traveller had been recently released from quarantine, no longer infectious after swabbing negative numerous times, and lived in that area.

Evidently virus can be detected in your faeces weeks after officially being declared virus free with negative nasal swabs.

And now they are in lockdown.Having spent several years as a survey assistant constructing a water and sewerage reticulation scheme I know it's not that difficult to test upstream to locate the source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The 5 foreigner deaths are 3 Myanmar, 1 China and 1 Japan.

Provinces besides Bangkok's 66 deaths:

7 Samut Prakan

6 each -- Pathum Thani & Tak

5 each -- Pattani & Suphan Buri

3 each -- Narathiwat, Ubon Ratchathani

2 each -- Kamhaeng Phet, Sing Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Ayutthaya, Kalasin

and numerous others 1 each including Phuket

I count new deaths for the day in 31 different provinces out of 77 total.

Many thanks. Where did you get the foreigner deaths breakdown?

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The authorities need to pull out ALL of the stops now and quit pussy-footing around, simply blaming the rise in numbers to the Delta variant.  There are a lot more causes than just the Delta variant

Vietnam has pulled out all the stops, and did so early. They're at 8000 cases, in less than two weeks they'll hit the numbers we see in Thailand today. NSW pulled out all the stops super early. Still rising weeks later.

By far the dominant cause seems to be delta, and slowing the spread is useful, but indications are there's no going back near zero, short of Wuhan style lockdowns.

18 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Sadly, they did not act upon it, thinking it was from a previously quarantined infected overseas traveller.

And it must be faeces from more than one. Random sewage samples would be highly unlikely to be positive based on only one infected person. 

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Pattaya area keeps rising.  I have regular girls I date who keep contacting me.  No way Jose, not worth the risk at this point will stick to the internet for my fun.

I don't think you call it a date when you pay the girl to go with wakey wakey

6 minutes ago, DavisH said:

And it must be faeces from more than one. Random sewage samples would be highly unlikely to be positive based on only one infected person. 

If COVID-19 is detected in wastewater, does that mean there is a person with COVID-19 in that catchment area?

There are several reasons why fragments of the SARS-CoV-2 can be found in wastewater:

• One or more people who are infectious with COVID-19 are in the catchment area.
  • There have been one or more people in the catchment area who have previously had COVID-19 and have recently recovered and are no longer infectious.

COVID-19 Wastewater Surveillance Program | SA Health

Edited by LosLobo

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez move on. With zero thought I would off top of head suggest.

No restrictions for trucks. Excluding any carrying passengers.

Strick form to fill in for inter provience travel. Meaning strick reason for essential travel. Currently basically zero reason required.

Anyone catching a bus must have clearance form for reason to travel.

Checkpoints.

No domestic flights (which basically they have done) 

Simple list with few examples for starters. I'm sure you get the drift. Perhaps add few more yourself. It's not difficult.

Read it few times if required.

As they say it only takes one infected person to spread the virus so how does these suggestions of yours detect who is carrying the virus?Any one of the truck drivers or delivery people or people traveling for any number of valid reasons can carry the virus and transmit it somewhere else.I fail to see how filling a form in an app or a paper permission slip does this.I do get your drift completely but I think you've missed mine which is (ok I'll drop the very easily part) how does this stop the spread?You've not mentioned an form of testing of these people to see if they are infected or not.That would not be easily achieved especially if they have to wait for results, which would be one of my suggestions.Perhaps buy about a couple of hundred million self test kits so that it wouldn't be a burden on the current testing regime and a lot faster.With some imagination an effective system could in time and a great deal of work and difficulty could be implemented.Something I imagine would certainly not be a thing "very easy" to do wouldn't you agree.The flaw in this system is if the spread is as out of control as it is at the moment I would see it as virtually impossible to set up a system of restrictions that would come remotely close to being effective at stopping the spread without totally strangling the movement of crucial supplies wouldn't you agree?Now do you get "my" drift?  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Are you speaking with any sort of experience or knowledge of the subject or just hypothesising?Remember that one individual can shed trillions of viral particles in one dump.They can also be testing anywhere within the system and don't have to test just at the treatment plant.

Do the road deaths....and other accidents involving machinery ...general idiocy, along with domestic violence include those that died WITH Covid.

Sort the difference between WITH and Of Covid...and you will get the real sense of urgency.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Vietnam has pulled out all the stops, and did so early. They're at 8000 cases, in less than two weeks they'll hit the numbers we see in Thailand today. NSW pulled out all the stops super early. Still rising weeks later.

By far the dominant cause seems to be delta, and slowing the spread is useful, but indications are there's no going back near zero, short of Wuhan style lockdowns.

Wuhan style lockdown is where we'll be if things don't change here right now, and the public is as responsible for for taking action right now as the authorities.

Pulling out all the stops may not stop the Delta variant, but it will certainly slow it down.  Doing nothing will only result in the worst possible scenario.

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

People here often ask what the government could do to help stop the spread of the virus, here is an obvious tactic:

Require construction sites and factories to test new employees 24 hours before they start work.

Do you mean each and every day they start work?Do you realise that would require processing millions of tests each and every day?

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Let's not debate whether Thailand has a lockdown now, or had one last year. 

Better to think of it as a set of restrictions. Perhaps last year the restrictions were heavier. But please don't debate whether it's a lockdown or not. 

And, for God's sake, no debates about fractions. 

Yet here you are , debating .

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So then the stairwells that are also in closely enclosed locations bear the brunt of all of those condo dwellers walking up and down say 50 plus flights of stairs passing each other as they huff and puff making the entire stairwell a Covid rich environment.  I think the elevators are a tad safer, oh wait you just want the whole condo sealed off and no one leaving their units, got it.  Pass.

You could apply the same logic to closing parks and how joggers now have to huff and puff alongside other people walking on the streets instead of the open spaces in the parks, but it did not stop the parks being closed.   Besides, it doesn't matter over here if the measures in place make it worse, the important thing is that there is a perception of something being done so people feel safer even if they are actually less safe.    

If the measures do actually make it worse you can state with confidence that without the measure there "might" have been even more cases and that is normally good enough as evidence the measure is working in the double speak world we now live in.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Like what "ways" specifically? 

Ya know, in a pandemic like this one, every single individual has a responsibility for doing the "right thing" and when they don't, there are BIG consequences that are paid for by all.  It only takes ones irresponsible person to create a mass-spreader event, just one single person has the power to do that.

" Ways " include sitting with friends in the Evenings with the BBQ and Beer in groups of 10 or more, and just getting drunk.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

" Ways " include sitting with friends in the Evenings with the BBQ and Beer in groups of 10 or more, and just getting drunk.

Isn't that basically what I said...individuals are just as responsible as the authorities in deciding which way this pandemic goes ?