Honda Jazz year 2004-2007, feedback, reliability?

MrJ

Hi,

considering to purchase an old Honda Jazz as around town car, have an offer for an year 2004, 200k km, 2 previous owners for 100k THB.

I know Honda from my previous cars usually is very reliable and easy to fix . Any experiences about common issues? CVT, AC? MIght considering to bring the car to a dealer garage to check for any major issues - about what would that check costs me?

FYI - I never bought a used care yet in Thailand and currently just downgrading from 1st hand 2016, CRV, 2.4 EL as I only drive 2-3k km per year - because mainly using motorcycle on a daily basis, so the Jazz would be just for occasional use.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Apologies have to ask why not keep the motor you have.?? 

can sell it for 800k+ (already in the process), the buyer wants to trade in the Jazz and I am planning to invest the remaining amount.....

• Thanks 1

CVT requires careful and dedicated maintenance, using only Honda fluid, and changed at Honda schedule (twice the recommended schedule if you want it to last)

As it only has 83 HP, but you are using it for town car, that will be enuf power.

CVT is the main thing - has it been serviced properly ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

CVT requires careful and dedicated maintenance, using only Honda fluid, and changed at Honda schedule (twice the recommended schedule if you want it to last)

As it only has 83 HP, but you are using it for town car, that will be enuf power.

CVT is the main thing - has it been serviced properly ?

still waiting for all the docs and details, according to the seller service was done properly (only 2 foreign owners)

a dealer garage could easily check the status of CVT right? might be good to pay that service before getting an 17y old car?

Edited by MrJ

Honda Jazz is one of the best car in the market.

Mechanically flawless, I consider it one of the most reliable cars along with the design gem Lotus Elise.

If I had the chance to own more cars here, one of the places would definitely be for a Honda Jazz.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrJ said:

still waiting for all the docs and details, according to the seller service was done properly (only 2 foreign owners)

a dealer garage could easily check the status of CVT right? might be good to pay that service before getting an 17y old car?

With CVT it is not so easy. As always check the condition of the fluid - nice and clean looking ? Smell it - does it smell burnt ? If it smells like a toaster - run.

The dealership would have a service history - IF it was serviced at Honda all the time.

If not - there will be gaps.

That is the onlu caveat - with older cars always best to get a manual - but Jazz with 5 speed not common.

My brother has a 2006,  it is clocking close to 300,000 KM,  like any other vehicle getting old it has had his problems radiator replacement, A/C unit new could be 25,000 baht? a few others problems but personally my brother isn't very good at taking care of his vehicles but he does try and takes it to the dealer since purchase he mentioned once the price for tune-up yearly service was something like 2500-3000 baht.  Good luck!

Many problems with CVT for these model (also on city). A full check at dealer can't help you for know.

Remember that is Thailand and maintenance is so far from our standard.

Yaris (gen2, 2006-2012) is more better, but little bit more expensive than jazz. 

Replace a cvt jazz will be very expensive. 

"MIght considering to bring the car to a dealer garage to check for any major issues - about what would that check costs me?"

1500-3000

Thats the best option.  Hondas only as good as they've taken care of it

Get it checked out.  Honda dealers will invariably find something expensive to fix.  A local trusted mechanic is your best option.

22 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Pictures of the jazz would help.

Who was the previous owner, grandmother or racing driver, was it maintained, proper servicing, oil changes etc. 

Was it used around town or on longer mileage trips [makes a difference to clutch/gearbox wear]  

It's a bit like asking how long is a bit of string... every car is individual.

I have been riding as a passenger recently in an old Honda Jazz and it is terrible. Every bump on the road is felt and I'm sure the rear suspension has  gone.  The whine from the differential is awful.  Maybe i has not been looked after so well but its a terrible ride.

11 hours ago, gaviolit said:

Many problems with CVT for these model (also on city). A full check at dealer can't help you for know.

Remember that is Thailand and maintenance is so far from our standard.

Yaris (gen2, 2006-2012) is more better, but little bit more expensive than jazz. 

Replace a cvt jazz will be very expensive. 

A jazz of this age with a  cvt is likely to have had problems already and been rectified. But regular maintainence is another matter. I sold a 2004 honda civic a couple of years ago. 250K kms and the 5 speed auto was fine. But for cvts...? who knows. Later model cvts are more robust but need good care and regular oil changes. 

Honda CVTs built during these years had their problems. Juddering from the transmission as you pull away is a sign that expensive repairs maybe needed. With a car of this age and mileage prior servicing and (ab)use will determine whether it will be reliable or not.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a 2007 vtec 1.5 manual 5 speed from new. You gotta service it, like any machine. Did me proud for 10 years. Both rear wheel bearing carrier assremblies went at around 75000km. Ni biggie. Honda have always had it going on. Recommended.  

We have a 2012 with auto trans. for my wife and we also live in the mountains near Samoeng!

It’s a flawless little car….good power and will haul amazing amounts as the rear seat goes down flat!

It has never been anywhere for service but the Honda service departments in ChiangMai!

Honda service is the same here as it is anywhere in the world….the dealer can lose his franchise if service is not up to snuff so it’s taken very seriously!

We replaced battery and cooling fan relay recently and had it completely checked and that’s about it!

Honda service department is important…they aren’t allowed to use anything but Honda parts and their records follow the car and are available for transfer to a different owner!

It's all down to the individual car.

Selling a reliable car to buy one almost 20 years old and free money up for investment is interesting. I would say that maybe keep back 250k for repairs.

To hold back 0 for repairs and expect reliability similar to your existing car - wouldn't be very savvy.

4 hours ago, pedro01 said:

It's all down to the individual car.

Selling a reliable car to buy one almost 20 years old and free money up for investment is interesting. I would say that maybe keep back 250k for repairs.

To hold back 0 for repairs and expect reliability similar to your existing car - wouldn't be very savvy.

You wouldn’t spend 250 thousand baht on a Honda car (or a Toyota) in a 50 years unless it was 100% thrashed when you bought it.

I have seen them running after 300-400,000 km’s of virtually no service and still toddling along!

34 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I use it for town travel, and it's plenty quick off the blocks for me.  By the time these big roller-coasters get into gear, I'm gone.

You’re right….Honda Jazz has great power for our mountain roads!

A friend with a Mitsubishi can’t drive comfortably…barely able to climb the hills!