help me decide please

I've been out of the car scene for decades.  I can't decide between Isuzu Mux 2021 and the current Mazda CX-9.  The Mux is latest gen but it uses the previous gen engine.  The CX 9 is old and it's going to get a total redesign.  These 2s have design language that speaks finished design and complete and reliability. Corect me if I'm wrong on things.  Should I just wait for the next generation Pejaro Sports, Fortuner and or Nissan Terra?  and Why?  My mentality is buy latest greatest everything.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Your 'Friend' should have slowed down

Too late. He's dead since years. Not from speeding.

Not the only one claiming he would do it in 45 minutes from Pattaya eastside to the airport.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, ilikethai said:

I like them all but can only afford one.  Not much help from you but thanks

How many people will be riding in said vehicle? Plan on going off road? There is no new cx-9 here (maybe you mean the cx-8?). Do you live in an area that floods badly? 

The MUX is a PPV (pick up based SUV - like the Fortuner) built on the DMAX platform.  The 1.9L engine is somewhat rough. Its a rugged vehicle but like any PPV not the best ride and handling.

The CX9 is a true SUV and has superior ride and handling to the MUX - more 'car like'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Mazdas have a far better ride and dynamics compared to the other Japanese SUVs being sold here as they are not pickup truck based. That said, they do have a reasonably firm suspension. This is a generalization as I have not driven a CX-9. 

25 minutes ago, malathione said:

The Mazdas have a far better ride and dynamics compared to the other Japanese SUVs being sold here as they are not pickup truck based. That said, they do have a reasonably firm suspension. This is a generalization as I have not driven a CX-9. 

So ... they ride better, but you don't know as you have never driven one.

Do I have this right ? 555

Ride quality depends on spring rate and shock absorber damping, not the badge on the grill

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

So ... they ride better, but you don't know as you have never driven one.

Do I have this right ? 555

Ride quality depends on spring rate and shock absorber damping, not the badge on the grill

I have driven several although not the CX-9. It depends  chassis design philosophy, whether it is a ladder chassis or or a monocoque, as well. No matter what your spring rates or the rebound settings on your ladder framed turd, you can only polish it to some extent.

I like the shape of the Isuzu but I’m waiting till new pajero comes out . Well until they sort the ugly wheel arch area and stupid long back lights actually. The outlander has better shape at the back than pajero but costs a bit more as far as I remember .

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And stuff like IRS aka independent rear suspension......avoid anything with leaf springs, that stuff came out the Arc!

15 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The MUX is a PPV (pick up based SUV - like the Fortuner) built on the DMAX platform.  The 1.9L engine is somewhat rough. Its a rugged vehicle but like any PPV not the best ride and handling.

The CX9 is a true SUV and has superior ride and handling to the MUX - more 'car like'.

I am not a car expert. I am considering the Toyota Legender. I ride in the back seat of a friend’s Legender and it was a smooth ride. He said he thought it was built on a Camry frame. Does this make sense. Feel free to educate me and I am buying either the Toyota Legender or Toyota 4 door truck. The price different is  700,000 baht. 

14 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I am not a car expert. I am considering the Toyota Legender. I ride in the back seat of a friend’s Legender and it was a smooth ride. He said he thought it was built on a Camry frame. Does this make sense. Feel free to educate me and I am buying either the Toyota Legender or Toyota 4 door truck. The price different is  700,000 baht. 

The camry is a monocoque design whereas the legender is a ladder frame - the latter is more rugged than the former. If you find the legender comfortable in the rear, you should try the camry for comparison. The crv/xtrail/forester/cx-5 are all monocoque frames and will be more comfortable than the legender and it's ilk. It depends on your requirements. I got the crv and I find it more comfortable than the pajero sport (drove one on a holiday trip a couple of years ago). 

useful link: https://www.motoroids.com/features/ladder-on-frame-vs-monocoque-suvs-which-one-to-choose/

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1