Travel Info/Preferences

mrwebb8825

I'm seriously considering flying to the states to get my shots since the government here has lacked the competence to get it done.

My question is about airlines. The cheapest flights I've found are around 32,000 THB (round-trip) and offered on Korean Air, JAL and Qantas.

All 3 make a stop in their home country before heading on to the states for another stop then on to my final destination.

I don't mind the stops as it breaks up the 24-ish hrs it takes to complete the trip and I smoke so it gives me a change at polluting my lungs along the way.

All these flights were found with a quick online search so...Does anyone have experience with these airlines? (I flew Cathey Pacific when I came here 21 yrs ago)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a way to get a cheaper flight?

I'm old and achy but don't want to pay 100% more for a business class seat so looking for the largest seating and legroom possible in coach.

Thanks in advance.

37 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I don't mind the stops as it breaks up the 24-ish hrs it takes to complete the trip and I smoke so it gives me a change at polluting my lungs along the way.

Forget Qantas then as you can't smoke in Australian airports.  I'd be amazed if you could fly with them in any case given the restrictions they have there.  If you can find a biz flight only 100% over coach I'd be snapping their hands off for it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Forget Qantas then as you can't smoke in Australian airports.  I'd be amazed if you could fly with them in any case given the restrictions they have there.  If you can find a biz flight only 100% over coach I'd be snapping their hands off for it!

the prices quoted were 32k coach, 64k business. The Qantas flight goes to DOH not Oz. My bad

14 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

the prices quoted were 32k coach, 64k business. The Qantas flight goes to DOH not Oz. My bad

Are you sure you don't mean Qatar instead of Qantas?

Qatar are a great airline, however I don't know about the US but if you were flying to the UK you would need to quarantine after changing in DOH. 

Check out Google Flights or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ for options & classes (using the month search & nearby airports can save a lot of money)... Premium Economy might be a good compromise if you want a little more room but don't want to pay for Business Class. 

JAL is a great airline.  You can check out the seating plans and legroom stats on the website Seatguru.com

Enter the flight number at seat guru will return info with airplane type and seating stats…including “pitch” which is the legroom.  

don’t totally discount Qatar airlines though.  The distance is a bit longer but the seats may be better.

10 hours ago, Upnotover said:

400% is nearer the mark 

I'm flying to America on JAL on August 23 to see my new granddaughter.  Getting the good jabs is a happy co-effect.  My flight price was around what you're quoting.  I booked it a few months ago and was able to do my seat assignment in the front row of the coach cabin with only 2 seats and unlimited legroom due to the hallway to the door.

My cousin went home using Korean to the West Coast there was an offer on ANA both layover were long 8 to 10 hours he passed on ANA since in Japan he had to transfer to Narita so he decline.  Not sure you have lodging available in the States if you opt for the Moderna or Pfizer you need two shots 25 days later for the 2nd. Johnson and Johnson only 1 shot required. Then you need to obtain C.O.E requirements to return including quarantine.  Testing when you leave and testing when you return prior to departure.  Good luck!

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

If you can why not.

For many of us we have families, businesses, etc.,

Making a trip to the US or other country a formable option.

Getting back is going to be difficult and expensive.

Have you checked Singapore?

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I know a number of people who’ve planned to travel to various home countries to get vaccines. I really don’t get that logic. To spend so much time on a plane and potentially making stops along the way is a huge risk to anyone let alone being unvaccinated 

....and if you really apply yourself you will be able to find a way to get vaccinated in Thailand and thereby avoid the cost and hassle of flying overseas.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

....and if you really apply yourself you will be able to find a way to get vaccinated in Thailand and thereby avoid the cost and hassle of flying overseas.

It’s definitely getting easier now. Quite a few people I know who’d been cancelled have now been vaccinated 

mrwebb, I recently flew from BKK to Japan on ANA and then on United Air to Newark. Booked on United.

Flights were about round trip, $1000 for Economy and 2800 Biz Class. Planes were basically empty especially in Economy.

Only drawback was flight departed BKK at 7 AM so had to be at airport by 5:30 AM.  Airport almost empty.  Got my Pfizer vaccine next day in America. Return is scheduled for mid October but will it happen??  I don't want to quarantine on my return.!!

Won't the plane be so empty, you'll have all the leg room you need?

I've flown JAL and KA from/to BKK and they're both great. The ongoing Olympic Games may mean the flight from Japan is more crowded.

The J&J vaccine seems to be less effective at staving off infection, even more so with the Delta variant.

You can get your jab at the airport if you fly into one of the larger ones. Nowadays, you can walk into any CVS or Walgreen's and get it in five minutes if the store has a pharmacy.

Best of luck. Make sure you wear an N95 to prevent infection while traveling and if you do come down with it, get the monoclonal antibody infusion at your local hospital to reduce more serious symptoms.

21 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Qatar are a great airline, however I don't know about the US but if you were flying to the UK you would need to quarantine after changing in DOH. 

Check out Google Flights or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ for options & classes (using the month search & nearby airports can save a lot of money)... Premium Economy might be a good compromise if you want a little more room but don't want to pay for Business Class. 

Yes, I meant Qatar - I should know better than to try thinking clearly at 3am and 1st 1/2 a cup of coffee.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Qatar has flights to US via Doha.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Yes, I meant Qatar - I should know better than to try thinking clearly at 3am and 1st 1/2 a cup of coffee.

I’m exactly the same (up at 3:30am again this morning :)… 

Back OT, Qatar are a great airline their Q-Suite Business Class is awesome but their economy class is very good as well..

As I was able to get a first dose of AZ, I'll be content two weeks after my second dose in September. For now, that's as good as it gets. mRNA after AZ first dose is advised in Canada & Germany. So we're postponing our travel plans till summer 2022 (& maybe mRNA then, if still advised as necessary) when things might be...different. Even though I expect air prices to go through the roof.