Thailand reports record high of 17,669 new COVID-19 cases and 165 deaths

webfact

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Today's COVID death toll of 165 is about TRIPLE what the typical daily road deaths figure for Thailand used to be... although in recent days those numbers have been around 10-15 per day.

All the folks here who used to post -- ohh but there are more road deaths every day in Thailand than COVID deaths -- seem to have moved on to other deflections and distractions.  Don't hear that argument any more these days.

Still here!How many deaths cause by covid over the last 10 years?It seems the Thai administration is giving the covid regulations about the same token gesture they give to enforcing traffic regulations.Travel restrictions anyone?Road blocks?Stay at home enforcements?  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

! If they test more they can find 50k/day or even more!

You have been talking to my GF.

She maintains it's 100k daily. 

Yes perhaps Dreamworld.

She claims her source is her gf nurse at hospital (and others)

I agree how would the nurse have any idea.

What worries me is that the gf always seems on the money.

Every morn she gives me the daily # and adds....."it all B.S these number"

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

While there is evidence that herd immunity occurs within communities where infections reach a certain proportion (ie acquired naturally) there is no data that shows that herd immunity can be reached through vaccination (ie unnaturally).

I

Are you claiming this as a general rule? Or are you only applying it to Covid?

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Switzerland has sent 100 respirators and more than one million antigen tests, worth around CHF9 million ($9.8 million) to Thailand to support its efforts to tackle the Covid-19 pandemic.

@TNAMCOT

https://twitter.com/TNAMCOTEnglish/status/1420595889400283138

Good on the Swiss.They see Thailands testing numbers are appallingly low so they say here you go now you have no excuses to not test more, not very subtle but I like it.

3 hours ago, rott said:

I get you, in our case if say 70% are vaccinated the virus is unlikely to spread, that is herd immunity in practice.

So I was the only one here not to get that. The ignominy. 

Well…..

No one really knows the real percentage require to achieve acquired herd immunity. The UK may be the first datapoint.

1 hour ago, beano2274 said:

didnt both Trump and Biden keep on about America first? Get your own people sorted out then think of others

Where did you get that about Biden? That was Trump's 

motto.

Biden will be lucky if he can reverse four years of Trumpism in four years.

I think his pledge of 2.5 million doses of Pfizer vaccine to Thailand is a good indicator.

Edited by Kwaibill
Typo
  • Like 1

Crowds today at Bang Sue Grand Terminal wait to be inoculated with #COVID19 vaccines. The government came under criticism for the dense crowds, but Public Health Minister Anutin Charnveerakul insisted Wednesday that "camera angles" made the crowds look larger than they are.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1420643065224601602

Image Image

Image Image

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

While there is evidence that herd immunity occurs within communities where infections reach a certain proportion (ie acquired naturally) there is no data that shows that herd immunity can be reached through vaccination (ie unnaturally).

There is plenty of data showing herd immunity achieved through vaccination for diseases such as polio and smallpox.

Your examples are cherry picked and not representative of the population as a whole. If you don’t believe that vaccination can stop an epidemic, there is this place called “the UK” that may  disagree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

Although, I feel sorry for all Thais suffering during these hards times, other countries should not help Thailand out with free vaccines.

Thailand is only in this situation due to mismanagement of their funds. 

If they have money to spend on submarines and huge railway projects, they can also afford vaccines and foreign consultants. So let them pay!!

This is the only way they learn.

So all other Thais should be made to suffer because of the poor management decisions of a few at the top?

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Yet you still got the barflies defending the underground bars with they have done nothing wrong. Some people really have blinders on. Its getting worse and worse and these people are just helping the spread. Such irresponsible people should be deported if they are caught twice (repeat offenders)

you seem to have missed the point entirely with that comment, it's not they have done nothing wrong, because obviously this is not safe, but it doesn't change anything, the spread is 10x in every other places where people are put together, 10x than any private drinking gathering. Private gathering doesn't change anything. In Europe it was accepted during the high of the wave, didn't add anything significant.

With that logic, you would need to separate every family members to make sure they don't contaminate each others,

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Thailand is only in this situation due to mismanagement of their funds. 

If they have money to spend on submarines and huge railway projects, they can also afford vaccines and foreign consultants. So let them pay!!

Getting good quality vaccines is not A mattar of money but of supply.

there simply are'nt enough available now.

you can be willing to pay 10 times the price - they will not sell to you (in mass numbers)

because the factories simply can't make enough.

in few months it will change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Crowds today at Bang Sue Grand Terminal wait to be inoculated with #COVID19 vaccines. The government came under criticism for the dense crowds, but Public Health Minister Anutin Charnveerakul insisted Wednesday that "camera angles" made the crowds look larger than they are.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1420643065224601602

Image Image

Image Image

Have to laugh at the stupidity of the fool Anutin. It needs the wide angle to fit the crowd in. I guess he thinks a close up of ten people is what should be shown i.e. FALSE NEWS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Agreed, they're likely finding just a few percent of the cases and that's if they're lucky.

People will be actively hiding the fact that they have COVID and nearly all of those who do so will be just fine after about a week.

This is definitely going to be the case with the younger generations.

I agree but the thing is if you're asymtomatic you don't know you have it but as we all know can still spread it. Maybe just mild symptoms. Are the younger generation actually the super spreaders? 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pray tell how they would have been allowed to board a flight, oh wait fake certificates.  Is that even possible in todays day and age where follow-ups are supposedly being done by the airlines as well as a self attestation being signed by the flier.  Maybe faked certs in Sweden, perhaps, or is the employer grasping at straws and trying to deflect from his practices on safety

Sweden doesn't test at arrival. The Thai agent in Thailand probably provided fake certs to most of them. Easy to do unfortunately

• Thanks 2

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Positivity rate now increased to 13.12% in Bangkok. Alarming figure and one which shows far more testing needed and the outbreak there is far from over infact worsening daily. https://media.thaigov.go.th/uploads/public_img/source/290764.pdf

data 29 july 6.png

This being the case what's the positivity rate in Samut Sakhon with around 1/4 the infection numbers of BKK and somewhere at a guess 1/10 of the population. Of course this positivity rate can only be extrapolated from testing which as we know is at Third World levels.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I agree but the thing is if you're asymtomatic you don't know you have it but as we all know can still spread it. Maybe just mild symptoms. Are the younger generation actually the super spreaders? 

To answer your rhetorical question the answer is "Possibly"

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

To answer your rhetorical question the answer is "Possibly"

This is something I've wondered for a long time. Pre-symptomatic and asymtomic spread is what makes this virus such a beast. Now add Delta with it's incredable rate of transmission and we are seeing the results. This is why masks are so important. I've said from the very beginning assume you have covid and protect others by wearing a mask. Family settings is the big problem. Everything I seen about Delta says almost 100% chance of spreading to all family members if one brings it home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not sure it's allowed just for exercise, but we always do end up stopping and buying something to put in the bag we carry to support the vendors. Trying to stay mindful of who is around us and yes we run in masks as well.  Depression is also a killer and with the closing of pools and parks well then the rates of suicide would increase.  Folks are still walking to work as far as we can see and the One Bangkok and other large construction sites are still going full bore with hundreds of workers, which either walk to or from as well as being picked up in the large transport trucks in the evenings. 

Well, working is still permitted if people cannot work from home.  I just assumed that if leaving your home for exercise was not specifically listed as an acceptable reason to leave your home  (as it was during the UK lockdowns) those who insist on following the letter of the law should not do so.  As I mentioned earlier, since the ridiculous park closure, Bangkok's streets are full of sweaty joggers and some drop or remove their masks.  Presumably a Vietnam/Wuhan-style lockdown would stop that completely.

Edited by brewsterbudgen