Thailand reports record high of 17,669 new COVID-19 cases and 165 deaths

webfact

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

What about in villages where there are no farang, no bar girls, just the locals gathering together at the village shop for drinks at the end of the working day? For every 1 bar with farang, there must be a 1000 instances of Thai’s getting together all across the country. That’s why, although farang think the alcohol restrictions are aimed at them and are stupid, in fact they are aimed at Thai people and their social habits, because they are over 90% of the population.

I’m not saying that you are wrong in saying farang should be punished, just that farang are a very small percentage of the population and therefore likely to be a small percentage of the rule breakers.

In this instance, per capita comparisons does really make much sense. If there were only 1 farang here and he breaks the rules, it would be 100%. But 10k Thai out of 77 million would be far more serious.

anyway, the rules are the rules and the punishments are the punishments.

Don't misunderstand me Thais should be punished too, and they are. But we are in the spotlight and those idiots make us look even worse. In times like this those who stand out are under extra scrutiny. 

Plus when you read it its usually a mixed Thai farang thing and Thais get punished too. Its not as if they go after farang only. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Wait a minute, wasn’t this going to be closed in August due to the opening of the new hospital at Suvarnaphumi?

Perhaps they noted that admissions exceeded discharges……again…….and were worried that they wouldn’t be able to squeeze in thousands of new cases. In which case, people who watch that statistic might think that the hospitals are in danger of becoming full?

how is that theory working out for you these days btw?

• Like 1

Another post about "Thailand will likely be the worst economic performer in S.E. Asia this year" has been removed, there is already a topic about that running as noted below:

5 minutes ago, metisdead said:

An off topic post about the Baht depreciation has been removed, there is a topic about that running here:

Once Asia’s top performer, the Thai baht is now becoming the region’s worst-hit currency

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Wait a minute, wasn’t this going to be closed in August due to the opening of the new hospital at Suvarnaphumi?

There was a separate plan for Suvarnabhumi... At this point, I don't know if they're now doing two, one each at both airports, or they ended up deciding to use DM instead of Swampy:

Thailand Turns Bangkok Terminal to Hospital as Covid Worsens

July 7, 2021,

"Thailand plans to convert a terminal at the nation’s main international airport into a field hospital as a surge in coronavirus infections that’s straining the nation’s public health system shows little sign of easing.

Airports of Thailand Pcl., operator of the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, has been asked to convert the newly completed terminal into a facility with an intensive-care unit, medical rooms and support for patients with mild to medium symptoms. The hospital will initially provide at least 5,000 patient beds, according to a government statement late Tuesday.

Medical facilities are already at capacity, and deaths could double by August if the outbreak doesn’t ease, Kumnuan Ungchusak, an expert in epidemiology and adviser to the Health Ministry said at a seminar last week. Most cases have emerged from Bangkok, which continues to report the most infections and deaths each day.

(more)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-07/thailand-turns-air-terminal-to-covid-clinic-as-hospitals-swamped

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, robblok said:

why would you show leniancy to guests that break the rules ? I mean if you have enough problems at home why let your guests do this. 

Normally I am all for 1 punishment for all but got a lot less sympathy for foreigners doing this. Its always the same crowd who defends this and disagrees with all restrictions. So if these people get caught twice they should just be deported. 

Great post. Common sense for most people, the foreigners who do this are so thick and selfish that warnings are useless. Fine first time, just deport them and make them persona non grata the second time

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Don't misunderstand me Thais should be punished too, and they are. But we are in the spotlight and those idiots make us look even worse. In times like this those who stand out are under extra scrutiny. 

Plus when you read it its usually a mixed Thai farang thing and Thais get punished too. Its not as if they go after farang only. 

No problem with your first paragraph. I agree.

with the second paragraph, When you read about it in English media and when it’s about an incident in Bangkok, Pattaya, Koh Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai? What about in locations where farang aren’t particularly prevalent? I just think you are looking at it through a farang lens.

Sure there are farang rulebreakers and sure, the Thai people with these farang that are caught, get punished too. But are you seriously suggesting that outside of those, relatively few, incidents, across the length and breadth of the country, with its millions and millions of Thai population, there aren’t many more incidents of Thai only rulebreakers? I have no statistics to support what I say, but it would seem counter intuitive to say that the largest number of rule breakers in absolute terms, are within, what, 3% of the population?

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Let's hope you're wrong, but if you're right, how long before natural herd immunity takes effect?

Mid to late nxt yr? Those who have been doulbe vacced with sinovac will need boosters as I think will AZ doubled vacced. The great unknown of course is a new variant and it's the mRNA that are best to deal with this. Not joining COVAC was a very big mistake. At the time I believe they only had money on their minds and probably pressure from the CCP hence all the eggs in one basket approach with home grown AZ as some sort of future proofing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Perhaps they noted that admissions exceeded discharges……again…….and were worried that they wouldn’t be able to squeeze in thousands of new cases. In which case, people who watch that statistic might think that the hospitals are in danger of becoming full?

how is that theory working out for you these days btw?

Well, that is a garbled version of my simple metric to determine whether the epidemic is going to rise further in the short term, which is the number of new walk-in cases. 

Edited by Danderman123

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Well, that is a garbled version of my simple metric to determine whether the epidemic is going to rise further in the short term, which is the number of new walk-in cases. 

The only problem with this logic is walk-ins are being turned away. No beds-no tests-go home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Never, because the virus mutates.

Viruses can also mutate to become less lethal / less transmissible.  That really what accounted for the end of the Spanish Flu pandemic.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Mmm, well you did have a metric that if more people turned up at hospitals, cases would rise. That is true.

but there was the other one wasn’t there? You know, the one where you said that hospitals can’t be full if admissions exceed discharges on any given day. 

mix up those two “metrics” and my post may seem to be garbled. Apply my post to the correct “metric”, and it is perfectly clear. Unless now that your “metric” on how to know whether hospitals are full or not, has been proven to be absolute nonsense, just as so many people told you previously, you wish to pretend you never said it?

unless…….do you still believe hospitals are not full?

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Viruses can also mutate to become less lethal / less transmissible.  That really what accounted for the end of the Spanish Flu pandemic.

This is true but you also have to assume that there may be multiple mutations into different variants with one being less transmissable and one being more transmissable. i.e. Alpha and Delta with Delta now being the dominant variant globally.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

How many folk have decided that if feeling ill they will try and 'ride it out at home'. 

Possibly due to overcrowding of hospitals etc.

That figure we have no idea.

Exactly then add the people who don't even know they have it i.e asymptomatic and the true numbers must be both staggering and very frightening in what is basically an unvaccinated nation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

unless…….do you still believe hospitals are not full.

I think the original term was.......

Hospitals are not 'MAXED OUT' 

I await for the next jem.

The maxed out one was fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet the good PM believes in 3 to 4 weeks this will have possibly run its course and Anutin believes that starting next month they will vaccinate 1 million a day.   To which I ask, With what vaccines, and how will the numbers drop in the Good PM's view.

TAT style announcements but on a different topic. The horse is gone over the horizon and so now about all about positive spin and public morale. And in that, reality has no place.

• Like 1

9.15 More people, than in the past few days, are waiting in line to get tested for COVID-19 at the government complex on Chaengwattana Road this morning. This test site uses the Antigen test kits, which produce results in 30 minutes.

Video:

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1420573927286272000

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not know but it seems there are many ambulances driving around the city.

You probably just notice them more because there is so little other traffic.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1