Thailand reports record high of 17,669 new COVID-19 cases and 165 deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, James105 said:

these activities are within the rules, but are they responsible?   Are you doing everything you can to prevent covid spreading or are you hiding behind badly thought out rules made up by people who do not really know what they are doing?  

The officials have decided on five,  obviously they would have gone with two or none if they didn't want small groups less than five. Is it responsible? It seems like a fair compromise. I could order delivery to my door, never leave my room, and eliminate risk entirely. I'm not going to do that though unless there's a stay at home order, and I'm sure not going to feel guilty for that.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Today's COVID death toll of 165 is about TRIPLE what the typical daily road deaths figure for Thailand used to be... although in recent days those numbers have been around 10-15 per day.

All the folks here who used to post -- ohh but there are more road deaths every day in Thailand than COVID deaths -- seem to have moved on to other deflections and distractions.  Don't hear that argument any more these days.

That's hardly surprising now that Covid deaths have increased. Presumably people made the comparison when it was relevant and daily road deaths were higher than daily Covid deaths. Now this isn't the case any more. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yes. Herd immunity is a real thing.

Google is your friend.

Herd immunity via infection is not possible for Covid, though, since the virus mutates.

I get you, in our case if say 70% are vaccinated the virus is unlikely to spread, that is herd immunity in practice.

So I was the only one here not to get that. The ignominy. 

19 minutes ago, rabas said:

Positive quick tests are usually followed by PCR tests. Weeding out lots of negative cases with quick tests removes pressure on PCR testing capacity.

I know but now you read that they can get hospital admission so will the confirmation be done richard barrow noticed that a whole factory was not counted because it was done with quick tests. So its an easy way to whipe things under the rug.

8 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Not sure you got my point. It's wonderful to exercise. I do my workouts in my room now, as my hotel gym has been closed for months (but allowed me to borrow dumbbells). Not that it matters, but I have between 8-10% body fat and haven't had so much as a sniffle since Y2K. If being in shape is a plus, then I'm plussed (not nonplussed....ha!)

It's okay to jog, too, but WHY on Sukhumvit, where hundreds of people walk? It's not so difficult anywhere in Bangkok to find side Sois where there are few people and even fewer cars. Joggers wouldn't then be blowing out breath and aerosol on to hundreds of folks going out to grab some food or commuting. 

So, yes, I blame the farangs running on Sukhumvit, not only for possibly putting lives at risk, but also because they contribute to the bad name many Thais hold toward farangs.

If you believe that then I feel sorry for you. The main streets have fewer people on them when we go for our runs in the evenings than the side sois which are packed with people out shopping at all of the carts and small shops here in Sathorn. We make a loop from Wireless rd over to Sukhumvit, by Benjekati Park back to Rama 4 and home to just past Sathon Thai Rd.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you believe that then I feel sorry for you. The main streets have fewer people on them when we go for our runs in the evenings then the side sois which are packed with people out shopping at all of the carts and small shops here in Sathorn. We make a lop from Wireless rd over to Sukhumvut, by Benjekati Park back to Rama 4 and home to just past Sathon Thai Rd.

So exercise outside your home is permitted in the deep-red zones? 

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Interestingly Japan with around 40% fully vaccinated is saying it's going to take at least 1 yr. to fully bring under control. Japan is vaccinating mainly with mRNA I think but also AZ. Mr. Empty Head says within 2 months with around 6% fully vaccinated and a large % of these would be double dose Sinovac.

Japan is not 40% fully vaccinated (although 37% have had a single dose). See latest data below.

Screenshot_2021_0729_110343.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

4 minutes ago, rott said:

I get you, in our case if say 70% are vaccinated the virus is unlikely to spread, that is herd immunity in practice.

It's a theory that operates at a localized level, but AFAIU, it really doesn't mean much at a national level.

For example, say Phuket really reaches 70% fully vaccinated at some point, that doesn't mean much of anything for what's going to happen within other areas of Thailand.  It doesn't work to try to have high rates in some areas average out lower rates in other areas.

And that's part of the problem places like the U.S. are having. They have relatively high vaccination rates in some areas, but much lower vaccination rates in other areas. So the case count now is rebounding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Japan is not 40% fully vaccinated (although 36% have had a single dose). See latest data below.

Screenshot_2021_0729_110343.png

Did you miss this in my later post? So combined it's 37.63% which of course is around 40%

Screenshot (371).png

Edited by dinsdale

I don't know what to say to this sorry situation. Adjusted for population this seems worse than the worst days of the Indian COVID catastrophe. 

And India has better vaccines. 

Just ridiculously horrible mismanagement by this corrupt and inept government. 

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Did you miss this in my later post? So combined it's 37.63% which of course is around 40%

Screenshot (371).png

Sorry, no - only just noticed it. Although the nearly 38% figure is for single doses, not for the fully vaccinated.

Japan actually has some of the highest levels of vaccine hesitancy in the world, mainly due to some vaccine issues in the 1990's.

Japan's bitter vaccine history creates hurdle in COVID-19 fight

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

51 minutes ago, dan42 said:

The 1918 Flu had nothing to do with Spain. If at least it had started in Spain, but it didn't. It had nothing to do with Spain at all. It got that name because it happened during WWI and all countries were censoring the news about the flu; Spain was neutral so its media informed. And hence the name. Probably the most unfortunate and unfair nickname ever given.

Good point!  It is better to put "Spanish Flu" in quotes or italics since it is misleading to infer it came from Spain.

It's interesting to note that even 100 years later, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States.  Researchers have even conducted extensive studies on the remains of victims of the pandemic, but the real origin will probably never be known.

I'm wondering if the same will turn out to be the case of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, James105 said:

You really are blaming the wrong people here.  The WHO advise against wearing masks when exercising for good reason.   You should be grateful there are people taking care of themselves as these people are less likely to need a hospital bed if they contract the virus.  In the absence of vaccines  this is the best thing someone can do to protect themselves against severe illness.    If you are going to be angry at someone, be angry at the idiots who closed the parks in the first place - they are directly responsible for this. 

OK, so parks are closed, that was easy. Here's something a bit more difficult. Do you think that people planning to exercise without mask who cannot find a quiet, near deserted place to do it should exercise where there are people around or not exercise at outside at all? 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rott said:

I don’t think that is true you know. If only 70% are vaccinated then the virus can still spread among the 30% unvaccinated and/or infect the 70% vaccinated. It makes it more difficult, but there are instances of countries reaching 70% vaccinated, only to have case counts rise. Mutations play a part, as do the efficacy of the vaccines in use and human behavior when they think the coast is clear. I don’t think 70% vaccinated is a silver bullet at all..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

This is true but you also have to assume that there may be multiple mutations into different variants with one being less transmissable and one being more transmissable. i.e. Alpha and Delta with Delta now being the dominant variant globally.

All I know for certain is that down through the ages where there was no vaccine, pandemics ended ultimately because the strain mutated to be less lethal and less transmissible...otherwise, we probably would not be here today.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Exercise at home with no mask ok. Outside by yourself with 100% no chance of infecting others ok. But if there is a chance of community spread you either wear a mask properly or don't excersise. This is called social responsibiliy.

This sums up the dilemma that people face with stupid rules made by stupid people.    

- We have the WHO scientists who say that you should not exercise with a mask.  

- We have internet keyboard scientists and the idiots that closed the parks that claim you should wear a mask when exercising.   

- We have all the suitable outdoor spaces where it is easy to exercise by yourself away from others closed.  

- There are less people exercising now due to the parks and gyms being closed and face mask requirement.  

- We know that inactive people are more likely to get severe corona than active people.    

- We do not have enough hospital beds so the less people that exercise, the more people that catch corona will need them, and this means less people saved from corona and more people dying.    

Do you see the problem here?    

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

TIMELINE: Pattaya and Banglamung informs residents who visited places in relation to most recent Covid -19 confirmed cases

List of places here:
https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/29/timeline-pattaya-and-banglamung-informs-residents-who-visited-places-in-relation-to-most-recent-covid-19-confirmed-cases-6/

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Mutations play a part, as do the efficacy of the vaccines in use and human behavior when they think the coast is clear. I don’t think 70% vaccinated is a silver bullet at all..

Exactly. 

We need to watch places like UK and even USA now. As attitudes become more relaxed and restrictions of any form get thrown out the window, then cases can climb again. Add to that a very contagious variant (Mr Delta) and the 70% notion means little.

I don't follow the UK situation. Are they not currently moving to 'lets go' attitude?