Thailand reports record high of 17,669 new COVID-19 cases and 165 deaths

webfact

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

9.15 More people, than in the past few days, are waiting in line to get tested for COVID-19 at the government complex on Chaengwattana Road this morning. This test site uses the Antigen test kits, which produce results in 30 minutes.

Video:

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1420573927286272000

Which means that this will also become a super spreader event after they test positive and then are sent home.  Gotta love the hypocrisy. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How many folk have decided that if feeling ill they will try and 'ride it out at home'. 

Possibly due to overcrowding of hospitals, inability to obtain a test etc.

That figure we have no idea.

Yes I agree . India has a official death rate of 440.000 from covid 19  . Unofficial death rate 3,5000,000 and 4,5000,000

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

I'm sorry to say that the WHO has stated time and time again vaccinating out of a wave does not work.  It takes far too much time to get immunity up.  

In surfing terms if one gets caught inside when a cleanup set comes you're going to get pounded.Thailand got caught inside and is getting pounded.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Mid to late nxt yr? Those who have been doulbe vacced with sinovac will need boosters as I think will AZ doubled vacced. The great unknown of course is a new variant and it's the mRNA that are best to deal with this. Not joining COVAC was a very big mistake. At the time I believe they only had money on their minds and probably pressure from the CCP hence all the eggs in one basket approach with home grown AZ as some sort of future proofing. 

That's a grim thought. Do you think the current restrictions will have to remain in place until then as well, or does your prediction assume that the restrictions will be lifted in the next few weeks/months?

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I see perhaps 3-4 people a day in Bangkok who are not masked. Invariably these are foreigners.

Do you mean farang? 

Anutin was maybe right about farang not wearing masks? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Let's hope you're wrong, but if you're right, how long before natural herd immunity takes effect?

Long ago I asked (can't remember where) how exactly herd immunity developed from 70% inoculated, ie physically how does it happen. 

I got jumped all over and told that herd immunity is a "concept" and not a physical reality. Can any on here tell me any different. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

The only problem with this logic is walk-ins are being turned away. No beds-no tests-go home.

Nope.

As long as the number of walk-in cases increase, in the near term, overall new cases will increase. How many are turned away does not impact this simple correlation.

4 minutes ago, rott said:

Long ago I asked (can't remember where) how exactly herd immunity developed from 70% inoculated, ie physically how does it happen. 

I got jumped all over and told that herd immunity is a "concept" and not a physical reality. Can any on here tell me any different. 

Yes. Herd immunity is a real thing.

Google is your friend.

Herd immunity via infection is not possible for Covid, though, since the virus mutates.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Pretty sure a lot of these cases will not be counted or retested. They don't want the numbers to look any higher. Every time new heights are there the PM looks bad and we can't have that can we.

Considering the numbers are some of the worst in Asia, it's apparent they're not trying to keep the numbers down all that much. Never mind that nobody needs to see higher numbers to know there's a problem.

Just now, jacob29 said:

Considering the numbers are some of the worst in Asia, it's apparent they're not trying to keep the numbers down all that much. Never mind that nobody needs to see higher numbers to know there's a problem.

The fact that a quick test has to be confirmed by an other test suggests otherwise. But sure these numbers show the problem. 

6 minutes ago, Marcous said:

Just a rough chart I made showing the current trajectory. The number of cases doubles on about 

the 18th of next month.

It's not very accurate and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

1813329494_data29july2copy.jpg.ac1117d9c5f3b2d47b20b467ca4e9806.jpg

Interesting but it has to change direction some time. 

Phuket ‘Third Wave’ COVID infections breach 1,000

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID-19 situation report for yesterday (July 28) has marked 24 new infections, bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to over 1,000.

The 24 new local infections did not include one Phuket Sandbox arrival testing positive for COVID-19 and three more Phuket residents infected with COVID-19 in other provinces brought back to the island for treatment under the “Bring Phuket people home” policy.

As such, the 24 new cases bring the total number of new local infections on the island in the past seven days to 160, as follows: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-third-wave-covid-infections-breach-1-000-80849.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Mmm, well you did have a metric that if more people turned up at hospitals, cases would rise. That is true.

but there was the other one wasn’t there? You know, the one where you said that hospitals can’t be full if admissions exceed discharges on any given day. 

mix up those two “metrics” and my post may seem to be garbled. Apply my post to the correct “metric”, and it is perfectly clear. Unless now that your “metric” on how to know whether hospitals are full or not, has been proven to be absolute nonsense, just as so many people told you previously, you wish to pretend you never said it?

unless…….do you still believe hospitals are not full?

Let me turn your question around, when I stated that hospitals were not full 3 weeks ago, was I wrong? Alternatively, do you believe that hospitals were full 3 weeks ago?

Note that I specifically differentiated between 100% occupancy and being full, since hospitals can operate beyond 100% capacity in an emergency.

To recap the bidding:

3 weeks ago, I pointed out the correlation between rising walk-in hospital cases and subsequent increases in new infections.

3 weeks ago, I noted that hospitals were still not completely full. 3 weeks ago, not today, I know you are itching to claim that I am stating that hospitals are not full today.

So, which of these assertions was worth wasting our time with drivel?

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The fact that a quick test has to be confirmed by an other test suggests otherwise. But sure these numbers show the problem. 

Positive quick tests are usually followed by PCR tests. Weeding out lots of negative cases with quick tests removes pressure on PCR testing capacity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rabas said:

Positive quick tests are usually followed by PCR tests. Weeding out lots of negative cases with quick tests removes pressure on PCR testing capacity.

In theory.

in practice, not follow up positive quick tests, have them self isolate. No PCR tests so they don’t show up in the daily numbers.

if you have doubts, Google “Phetchabun chicken factory “.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, James105 said:

You really are blaming the wrong people here.  The WHO advise against wearing masks when exercising for good reason.   You should be grateful there are people taking care of themselves as these people are less likely to need a hospital bed if they contract the virus.  In the absence of vaccines  this is the best thing someone can do to protect themselves against severe illness.    If you are going to be angry at someone, be angry at the idiots who closed the parks in the first place - they are directly responsible for this. 

Is exercise one of the reasons people are permitted to leave their homes for? 

• Haha 1