Nattawut “announces movement” against Prayut online

webfact

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You have to give him credit for holding on to absolute power for so long and quashing any opposition. Covid has given him a change to extend his executive powers. Did the CCP train him?

I think it was his backing that gave him the confidence .

another example of not having that backing any longer was when royal institute was allowed to bypass government to buy vaccines 

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Doesn't invalidate them........ are you suggesting Thaksin was innocent ?

No but the majority of charges against him are political and would never have been brought in a democratic country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I will give him credit for all the good and useful things he has done for the Thai people and the country.

I can't think of any.

I can think of one. Peace. It has been very quiet in Thailand since he took power 7 years ago. It might well be the most peaceful 7-year period since 1932. This is a problem in that the rest of the world considers him to be a success and won't put any pressure on Thailand to change anything. He has a firm grip on power.

• Sad 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:33 AM, spidermike007 said:

And we hope this time it will be a coup by, with, and for the people. Time for the citizens of Thailand to show the army the door, and make it blatantly clear that if you EVER try another coup again, it will be met with severe resistance and will not end well for the clowns.

Things have changed. The youth here is maturing, and they are smarter, wiser, more astute, and more visionary than their complicit and rather naive folks were. 

The only way that you can have a coup by and for the people without the military is for the government in power to resign and allow fair and free elections.

Any coup by the people that does not cause the government to call an election is going to have to be by the military.

As to the UDD this is not a surprise move as they are loved and revered in the north.

The last thing that Prayut wants is to kick that nest of bees.  The farmers and village people up there have very little to lose.  By arresting Nattawut all they will be doing is inviting that sea of red to come to Bangkok. 

Imagine if the UDD protestors and the student protestors all got together. 

Forget about flash mobs it would be a mass mob that would have a lot of money and support.

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Theft is political ?

His sister was also guilty of that - but she was also incompetent.

Do you understand the term majority?

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I can think of one. Peace. It has been very quiet in Thailand since he took power 7 years ago. It might well be the most peaceful 7-year period since 1932. This is a problem in that the rest of the world considers him to be a success and won't put any pressure on Thailand to change anything. He has a firm grip on power.

Really? How about the Southern provinces? The Army has been there as long as I can remember and it still isn't peaceful.

No neighbouring countries are interested in starting a war with Thailand but they haven't done since the 1940s and nobody cares nowadays as they are all interested in fighting Covid.

Thailand has a great big army with nobody to fight but literally hundreds of generals to dire it with.

I agree that he has a grip on power simply because he is backed by the army with guns.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The Covid situation is rising in USA, UK, Australia due to Delta variant so you can't blame Prayut just for this.

You can blame the people responsible for the highly ineffective and blunderous vaccine roll out. 

Covid-19 is becoming an illness of the ‘unvaccinated’... 

Reports are stating that 99.5% of Covid-19 related deaths are now amongst the unvaccinated. 

So, while I agree that we can’t blame the Thai Government for their efforts and strength of measures put in place to contain covid and protect the Thai population I would place the blame in the utter ineffectiveness in securing vaccines. I would go as far and suggest a degree of arrogance that those in positions of decision making power considered Thailand did not need vaccines as their measures were working and the rest of the world could eradicate Covid-19. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

The Covid situation is rising in USA, UK, Australia due to Delta variant so you can't blame Prayut just for this.

But the people of Thailand (which is what the topic is about), are not interested in the USA, UK or Australia, but in what Prayuth is doing or not doing in Thailand. Why? Because what is happening there doesn't really affect them in Thailand, Prayuth does, and he is the one where the buck stpos.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

But the people of Thailand (which is what the topic is about), are not interested in the USA, UK or Australia, but in what Prayuth is doing or not doing in Thailand. Why? Because what is happening there doesn't really affect them in Thailand, Prayuth does, and he is the one where the buck stpos.

Is it because the people of Thailand is demanding that he resign due to the worsening pandemic or is it due to other reasons? 

If it is due to pandemic, then did Trump resign when cases hit 300,000 daily? The number of new cases is hitting around 100,000 daily in USA now; so should Biden resign too?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Edited by EricTh

23 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Which other countries might that be? In fact, name one single other country on earth where military coups still remove elected leaders on a regular basis.

Come on, we're waiting!

What happened to Khadafi and Nicolae Ceaușescu for example? The US has a good record of helping those kind of countries, France is probably not far behind. They help with coups or keep those they want in power. You forgot probably the mess they created in Rwanda? The military in Thailand only stages coups when the one in charge allow them or agrees with them. And then again you have elected leaders and selected leaders. This happens all over the world.

39 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

What happened to Khadafi and Nicolae Ceaușescu for example? The US has a good record of helping those kind of countries, France is probably not far behind. They help with coups or keep those they want in power. You forgot probably the mess they created in Rwanda? The military in Thailand only stages coups when the one in charge allow them or agrees with them. And then again you have elected leaders and selected leaders. This happens all over the world.

I think you should read my question once more. To help with your comprehension I have highlighted the pertinent parts:

"Which other countries might that be? In fact, name one single other country on earth where military coups still remove elected leaders on a regular basis."

Just to be clear are you calling Gaddafi and Ceaușescu elected leaders??

4 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I think you should read my question once more. To help with your comprehension I have highlighted the pertinent parts:

"Which other countries might that be? In fact, name one single other country on earth where military coups still remove elected leaders on a regular basis."

Just to be clear are you calling Gaddafi and Ceaușescu elected leaders??

I'm not interested in a pissing contest as you and your friends will only read wat is of interest for your convenience. According to some information, yes they got elected. There are a couple European countries that have ministers who did not participated in the election. Their parties had popular people to stand the elections to win the seats. Once they had the seats they forwarded candidates from their party for the job. Are they elected? Even Putin and the Chinese boss are elected according to the laws of their country. Thailand maybe the record holder in coups, that's right but it was (is) quite common in  Africa. By the way, Burma , next door just had coup. To safe another reaction, yes it is called Myanmar right now. What you are going to ask next, all the names, addresses and phone numbers of the relatives who survived the atomic bombs ? 

2 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I'm not interested in a pissing contest as you and your friends will only read wat is of interest for your convenience. According to some information, yes they got elected. There are a couple European countries that have ministers who did not participated in the election. Their parties had popular people to stand the elections to win the seats. Once they had the seats they forwarded candidates from their party for the job. Are they elected? Even Putin and the Chinese boss are elected according to the laws of their country. Thailand maybe the record holder in coups, that's right but it was (is) quite common in  Africa. By the way, Burma , next door just had coup. To safe another reaction, yes it is called Myanmar right now. What you are going to ask next, all the names, addresses and phone numbers of the relatives who survived the atomic bombs ? 

If you've got nothing then just say it instead of wasting anyone's time with such nonsense.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:25 AM, trainman34014 said:

ALL Soldiers should be removed from Parliament as they do not belong there in any 'proper' Democracy. If Thailand ever wishes to progress then the people must never allow an Unelected Military to rule over the country again...ever !

So your under the assumption Thai people want democracy? What I always found striking in SE Asia was the almost universal rejection of Western style democracy by almost all people i spoke with about politics. I cant remember a single one of them saying they want democracy. 

Fun facts: since the abolishment of absolute monarchy in 1932 Thailand had 13 succesful coups, 65 years of retired or serving military and only 24 years of elected prime ministers. You can google the state of the Thai economy in 1932 and compare it to 2021. I dislike military rule but its nonsense to think they never did well. 

The real problem in Thailand is paternalism. There was a certain person for decades preaching self sufficientcy while enriching to be the richest of the world among peers. In my opinion that person is a major cause for lots of Thailands issues.