Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

I don't think my GF is thinking in terms of normal coup codes, but she is certainly feeling the effects.  Her complaint is that everything is constantly changing.  "Crazy, that."  And life has become "scary."  She can't go out of the house, is afraid to buy food at the market, constantly worrying about her mother, father, son, or herself getting the virus.  Today finally she was able to get the AZ jab.  After standing for 6  hours in a packed former Robinson's, thanks to special selection by an uncle in the police.  I sense she's loosing pride in being a Thai.   

• Like 1

Nothing has really changed in the 17 years I have been here on and off.

if you wanted western warm democracy,should have gone to Med/Carib. !

civilian govt was so bad here the army simply had to step in to avoid chaos.

my thai lady insulates me from most thai bs ( builders, utilities, mechanics, municipal, shopping, schools). Dealing with Imm. & DLT & Insurances here ok.

we have a son and live in / rent out my lovely property in Phuket

which wont sell of course.......

I still work overseas but have not left Phuket since March 2020

but leave to live where ? Malaysia looks best for me, or Portugal perhaps.....

but practically, as local house owner & family man, at 65, Phuket remains the best option for living & retirement. nowhere else would be better.....

better the devil you know... ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Put simply, staying here is a fool's game. It always was but now with covid it's a very dangerous game. Many of you not thinking through this properly.

You will get covid. Do you want to be here and pay for it ( and get sh++y treatment) or at home?

Covid is FOREVER and ever. It's going nowhere.

Wake up. If you have health issues, old it's not just the flu it's death for you in great likelihood.

first, covid is not forever. the vaccines do work and make it go away.

second, the quality of the treatment you will get is based on your health insurance,

and third, you are right. now there is serious wave in thailand. but the same

outbreak might happan also at "home". whichever country it is.

it can really happan in a  mattar of days.

yes thailand is a fools paradise. but covid is not worse here than in any other country.

5 hours ago, bkkflyer said:

We have been planning to take at least a year or 2 in Scandinavia where I am from (idea was first of all to improve our children's Norwegian language proficiency) . Have 2 daughters soon teenagers going to International school here, and its getting expensive - especially basically without any income ????  Also not sure if Thailand is the best place for my daughters to grow up - especially irt working opportunities.

It looks like it will be online schooling again for the children - probably until the end of this year. Quite stressful as well - and I think it is unhealthy for children to sit at a computer screen every day from 8am to 3-4pm. Addictive behavior runs in the family ????

Overall cost of living is not that much more expensive there, free school, free healthcare, clean environment, very "clean" governments - but taxwise... well.... - but without the fantastic offering of food and services one get used to here in Asia.

Mother of my children could get citizenship after 5 or 7 years and even get a pension.

I love the European "summer" - from April to September - and have not missed one for the last 50 years (apart from the last 2). But the winters are depressive..... - but the kids love it when we visit - so....

Have been here since 97/98 - it was a lot more fun around that time - THAT is for sure ????

Best thing I ever did was take my daughter back to UK aged 11 after 8 years of international schools in the Kingdom. She's going to a great UK uni in a couple of months and she/we visit Thailand all the time as well.......Personally, I'm heading back to Thailand in a few months to carry on as before, a mere 7 years outa my life but my daughter has seriously benefitted from excellent schooling and the UK experience......no brainer if you ask me..............and being back in a Western society yourself also makes you appreciate Thailand's plus points..................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Some of it might be Covid fatigue. But, alot of it is army fatigue. And what feels like a diminishing quality of life. I am just very, very tired

Time for a refresh elsewhere then....................consider keeping your assets (or some of) as they are and having a long trip elsewhere and see how you feel. The people in charge are a red herring as to your sentiments....................There'll be shenanigans, other negatives and dodgy politics wherever you go, you know that. Bite the bullet, a change may well be what you need..................................

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The worse Thailand's economy, the more money my pension is worth.

Even my Thai daughter whom finished university earlier this year immediately got a decent job.

This is so I'm alright Jack it borders sociopathy.

Your daughter is very fortunate. Many students even from the top three universities have found it near impossible to find work upon graduation. I recall the total number of unemployed or underemployed each year at 660k although this would include presumably rajabats and sketchy universities.

Not worried about the economy and career prospects your daughter inherits? Thailand's misfortune is your opportunity. That's a shame.

• Like 1

Yes, it's certainly true that the military has screwed up the acquisition and distribution of vaccines along with their other failings.  However, it's well to keep a perspective on matters.  With respect to Covid for example, keep in mind the Covid deaths per hundred thousand of population, which is the ultimate "score" of how well a government managed the pandemic.

Thailand     6.72

Spain          173.09

US               186.76

Yes, it's true that Covid deaths are underestimated in many countries.  A more accurate estimate of Covid deaths in the US puts it at 900,000, not 613,000, based on excess deaths in the period.  Nevertheless, as rough estimate the above numbers are useful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I guess many of us are too old to go through the hassle of uprooting and starting out a fresh in a new country. Plus any assets you might have here would be impossible to sell. And where would you go? are there any countries with a normal life. I just read about Australia in the news where they have the Army enforcing their lockdowns. Having extended holidays sounds good but of course impossible to travel normally now.

• Like 2