Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

5 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

tourism was dying the past ten years? than how come we see

more and more quality resorts and hotels built in the past ten years?

strange, but i allways have the feeling that thailand is making a slow consistent

progress, while most posters here saying it is going backwards.

That's right. In my view, that measurement can been based on thb, which has slowly and surely been grinding to higher values over the years, until now.....

• Like 1

Mike, it could be you leave not long before a new dawn of cheap living. Sad for the locals, but they are survivors, if nothing else. Certainly it's not perfect here, and never has been. Coming from the UK, with its miserable weather, and police state mentality, cavorting as an advanced nation. I'm staying put, although I do understand your sentiments. 

• Thanks 1

>  Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

working on it but doubt I would be able to leave until I find a Pfizer/Moderna/AZ vaccine.

Maybe I will come back in ~30 years for retirement but I don't see any progress in Thailand in the nearest future.

• Haha 1

Just now, fdsa said:

>  Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

working on it but doubt I would be able to leave until I find a Pfizer/Moderna/AZ vaccine.

Maybe I will come back in ~30 years for retirement but I don't see any progress in Thailand in the nearest future.

I get that, perhaps if you have 30 years until retirement you shouldn't have had any ideas of this being a great place to be, career wise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And of course, the question is if we leave, where to? Certainly not back to the US. Thinking maybe we will check out Spain for a long vacation. Then we will see. 

Good luck with Spain. The politics there could be worse than it is here. I have a Spanish friend who never stops complaining about the corrupt goings on of the Spanish government. Some areas of Spain are pushing for independence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Factual. Going backwards. Have friends who are GM's at major hotels. All say occupancy levels are trending downwards, long before Covid. Have friends who own restaurants, travel agencies, taxis, and smaller hotels. All say income is way down, for the past five years or more. 

Just because greedy developers and hotel chains build, it is in no way a testament to the health of the industry. I see towns all over Thailand where people built apartment buildings anticipating demand. Before Covid the occupancy levels were very low. Same applies to countless condo projects. Thailand is way, way over built. Especially when it comes to hotel rooms. 

My guess, is that apparent progress, is down to money laundering. This, the hub of everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Says a man sitting on a tinderbox.Once Delta gets a foothold in Laos, which it will, the country will blow - and without Thailand's health care advantages and a rotten corrupt government to boot.

That's one reason why the Lao government is so strict on returning Laos citizens, because the health care would have major issues to cope with widespread outbreaks of Covid-19.  The last few people who crossed illegally from Thailand into Laos were sent to jail for 3 years and 7 months just last week.

With or without this pandemic I'll never leave thailand because I like to stay here and my wife love her family. We would like to go visit my family in europe for just a month but certainly not now. Will see in the future

• Like 1

There are certainly countries far worse off than Thailand.

Maybe you should turn off the news, stop thinking and talking about politics and honestly assess the pros and cons of living in this country from perspective of safety, quality of life, long term plans.

No crisis lasts forever and neither will this one.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Khabib said:

I get that, perhaps if you have 30 years until retirement you shouldn't have had any ideas of this being a great place to be, career wise.

I work remotely and for the last ~8 years I lived here Thailand was a great place to be, however Covid unveiled the real level of corruption and idiocity that appeared to be way higher than I expected so I'd better work remotely from somewhere else.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I agree. Nothing much has changed in my life over 16 years, but I don't obsess about Thai politics. I suspect the OP just wanted to have a whine, but he won't leave. He comes from the US which be all accounts is far worse and a more dangerous place to live.

Time will tell, if you are correct about us leaving. I would say it is about a 50/50 chance. As many of the wiser posters on this forum mentioned, it could be Covid fatigue, combined with being stir crazy, due to not being able to travel alot, like I am used to doing. I totally agree with you about the US. It is only getting worse, and there is no making America great again. It is an empire in slow decline. It feels like a very unhappy place, populated by mostly unfulfilled people. 

The toxic politics plays a role, but as you say, only indirectly. Hate seeing my Thai friends having such a hard time, and hate hearing about all the family wide suicides from my EMT friend in Bangkok. Might have to ask her to tone it down, and might have to dig my head a little deeper into the sand, for now. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Good points Mike. I would agree with many.  Problem is the rest of the world is probably equally screwed up.  However, I see two options under consideration Turkey and Mexico. 

The ruling class here are terrible people only offset by the goodness I see in many real Thais.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

I just want to say I have a good life here. Going back to States would pose serious economic issues. I don't want either of us to work.

Normally, I get outta here few times a year and that brings perspective.

I've honestly had few issues with immigration.

Nevertheless, the trip to MTT and the risk it carries for essentially nothing. My wife's job has been at risk for years due to economic chaos.

There's no stability and with that I won't buy a condo which in the long run would save money, provide a place after I'm gone for wife. The cost of condos or rather the value is just stupid. It honestly is a bit insulting looking at the poorly designed, kept, locations and thinking...you want what!!??!!

I want to live in a free and open society where people prosper and are relatively content in their pursuits.

Give it some time. Fairly confident the condo prices will drop substantially. To call it a soft market, would be the understatement the decade. This debacle is long term. Easily five years or longer, even if they fixed the Covid issue tomorrow. And we know that is not happening. 

15 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

I just want to say I have a good life here. Going back to States would pose serious economic issues. I don't want either of us to work.

Normally, I get outta here few times a year and that brings perspective.

I've honestly had few issues with immigration.

Nevertheless, the trip to MTT and the risk it carries for essentially nothing. My wife's job has been at risk for years due to economic chaos.

There's no stability and with that I won't buy a condo which in the long run would save money, provide a place after I'm gone for wife. The cost of condos or rather the value is just stupid. It honestly is a bit insulting looking at the poorly designed, kept, locations and thinking...you want what!!??!!

I want to live in a free and open society where people prosper and are relatively content in their pursuits.

Spot on! They want shoddy buildings, loads of rooms, sold to ferlangs, waiting to be demolished in the not so distant future. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Give it some time. Fairly confident the condo prices will drop substantially. 

Most certainly correct. They may well collapse before a buyer comes along, such are the superb building standards here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

His spoken English is fine - limited but OK for day-to-day purposes. And he speaks fluent rural Thai. The family are - like so many poor & rural people everywhere in the world - bilingual & trilingual. The parents (just older than me) speak Khmer & understand Thai. Their multiple children (ages 34 to 50s) speak in Thai & Khmer and code-switch constantly even in mid-sentence. Their children, subjected to Thai nationalist propaganda at school, speak only Thai and refuse to speak Khmer but understand it. One of the children speaks Thai with a Lao accent because he has a Lao father. And one of the adults has a Suai (Khmer subset) wife.

I just noticed you are in Surin. So your hubby/boyfriend must be a Khmer Surin? I just watched this cool video on Khmer Surin people, you might be interested in knowing their origin.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Hopefully you like it. Good luck.

I don't want to be more negative than necessary but I think there is a huge difference between spending some time there and living there. Before I settled in Thailand I made holiday in a couple of places, mostly on the beach. Mostly I liked it. And mostly I had absolutely no idea about politics or anything about living there permanently. Is it nice? Is it secure? Wonderful. I just didn't know any more details and I didn't care about them. Now living in a place is obviously very different.

I guess when you go to Spain (or any other place you think about) and you spend time there with foreigners who live there for years then you will probably get a better understanding on how life is over there for foreigners. But I guess even then it depends a lot who you talk to. I.e. looking at Thai Visa some long term residents just love it and others, it seems, hate almost every minute of being here. I guess it will be difficult to get a fairly accurate picture of live anywhere on this planet without trying it for some time.

Personally I am still happy in Thailand. Sure, politics sucks, like in many many other countries in this world. I think how much politics and other issues irritate me depends mostly on how much time I spend with those issues. If I read the news everyday and maybe even look at controversial political movements then I can ruin ever day in my life. But if I don't watch the news and don't listen to all those problems then life can be pretty good.

Don't worry, be happy, and all that. ???? 

Good points. Especially about the news, the daily covid totals, etc. Been keeping more of an eye on it lately, as I want to plan a trip back to the US soon, and am waiting to see when the quarantine requirements may be lifted. So keeping a keen eye on the Covid numbers both here and there. And I have to admit, that is very depressing! 

• Like 1

Trying to keep on topic, I think they're trying to design this place for western people, that last about as long as a modern washing machine. It has built in redundancies, generally 5 years is a fair time span.