Thailand extends pandemic measures, expands lockdown areas

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't say 'travel curbs'. That means NOTHING.

Under current travel restrictions for inter province travel you don't even need to list reason.

It's farcical.

Indeed

Not much point in jacking up restrictions in only certain provinces , if anybody and everybody can hop in and out at will.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

With the vaccination programe so far behind where it should be , lockdowns are inevitable.

However the individuals and businesses so badly affected , SHOULD be getting extensive financial support.

That they are not is criminally negligent and very much portrays this governments sense of priority.

I totally agree, but what I don't get about the Thais is why are they tucking their tale behind legs and taking it up the bum from their government and doing nothing about it.

Can you imagine the uproar if their was no unemployment benefits, Covid relief stimulus from our countries in the west because of forced closures due to restrictions, there will be protesting, riots and mayhem everywhere.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, nightfox said:

I totally agree, but what I don't get about the Thais is why are they tucking their tale behind legs and taking it up the bum from their government and doing nothing about it.

Can you imagine the uproar if their was no unemployment benefits, Covid relief stimulus from our countries in the west because of forced closures due to restrictions, there will be protesting, riots and mayhem everywhere.

In short , generally speaking western nations are not controlled by military juntas with a history of killing protesters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Now just imagine the U.S. (or ANY other country for that matter) used Thai flags as mattress covers in their field hospitals. It would trigger angry outrage not only from the Thai government but also from  even angrier Thai "netizens". "How dare they abuse our sacred flag???!!!" the chorus would sound.

And you're rightfully asking, "why no Chinese flags?" But I guess it was a rhetorical question anyway. It's of course because communist China's nationalistic sentiments are just as blown out of sensible proportion as those of their autocratic-feudalistic Thai "brethren". Besides... you don't want to anger the big overlord whose quasi-vassal state you have become, right? I mean, who else would buy all these durian? 

Yawn...

4 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Restricting travel is as effective as closing bars. Neither will work without proper and sufficient vaccines. Otherwise, it's all about the govt desire for control

India seems to be doing something without sufficient vaccines. 

7EC44A43-9DC2-4177-9B99-1DEE7238C20D.jpeg

21 hours ago, nightfox said:

All they are doing is extending the hardship to the millions of people that are out of work who cant make a living thanks to these restrictions.

yes your correct and the alternative is  sick,death, for family friends      this is not a rock and a hard place, this is easy to choose

2 hours ago, Midwit said:

India seems to be doing something without sufficient vaccines. 

7EC44A43-9DC2-4177-9B99-1DEE7238C20D.jpeg

There is nothing India is doing. The virus burns itself out after 2 months. The number of detected cases is a tip of the iceberg. Majority of population get sick and recover on their own without getting tested, that’s why mortality rate figures are bs. The same will happen in Thailand, everyone will go through it and it will be over by October, just in time when Thailand is scheduled for reopening.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tonray said:

Actually I learned something interesting yesterday. While in Big-C. Apparently there is no legal prohibition against buying items that are roped off. If you summon a staff member and indicate what you want, they can retrieve it for you and you can then pay for it at the register. I did this with a tea kettle as mine flamed out and I can't live without my morning tea !

Will try this next time I'm in Pattaya S Big C.  Thanks - fast running out of G & T glasses.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

There is nothing India is doing. The virus burns itself out after 2 months. The number of detected cases is a tip of the iceberg. Majority of population get sick and recover on their own without getting tested, that’s why mortality rate figures are bs. The same will happen in Thailand, everyone will go through it and it will be over by October, just in time when Thailand is scheduled for reopening.

The problem is how big is the minority who don't recover.  That could be quite big. In the case of India and others some of the deaths were in people with Covid but who might have survived with sufficient treatment and of course oxygen. There other issue is vaccination which if it gets to a higher level will help but at the moment they are struggling with.

21 hours ago, ifmu said:

yes your correct and the alternative is  sick,death, for family friends      this is not a rock and a hard place, this is easy to choose

I agree, open up would be the best choice. People get sick and/or die all the time. If it isn't from/with Covid, it is from traffic, cancer, hearth strokes, high blood pressure, etc...

Easy talking when you are on welfare. Not so easy talking when you need money to survive.