Thailand extends pandemic measures, expands lockdown areas

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not up with the actual restrictions.

Yes I'm aware of the curfew.

The inter province travel has me completely confused as it seems possible and easy.

As I type this from my condo Bangkok a couple of Thai here assembling wardrobe from Homepro.

Tomorrow a company coming to pick up and remove 2 lounge room suites.

So seems business as usual in many ways. 

I guess it all comes down to what is considered necessary. Inter-provincial travel seems to be discouraged but permitted for necessary reasons. But as you pointed out earlier, you don't even need to give a reason for your trip, necessary or otherwise!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Interestingly....a local textile (clothing) factory which was closed from around July 4th thru July 18th, has been open and operating since here in  Nonthaburi. So I guess if you have the right connections anything is possible.  I was in a taxi heading past there on Saturday at noon and the workers were heading out for their lunch breaks. Central Westgate Mall, which is 2 kilometers away, shuttered like a beach house in a Hurricane (except for Tops supermarket). My guess is the local authorities are the same guys who own the factory ? Also the night market which again was closed from July 4th thru 18th...open since every night. Very inconsistent rules it would seem

From my own observations, it would appear that it is absolutely critical to keep the Factories open and producing.

Exports are the only glimmer of hope for the Thai Gov,t at the moment. They are the only source of income into the Country now,

People will still need Food and other material Items for their Day to day living so those factories I can understand.

However, there appears to be  a high number of Factories that remain in production, with their goods being sold to Export, and where the Staff are actually locked inside to prevent them going out.

Of course, it will be said by the Owners of the Factories that the Staff choose to be there as they dont want to catch Covid, and then be deprived of earning Money for their Families, although some of the Factories have Covid cases already among their Staff.

Hmmmm

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't say 'travel curbs'. That means NOTHING.

Under current travel restrictions for inter province travel you don't even need to list reason.

It's farcical.

IMO, Inter Provincial travel is spreading the Covid Virus, and needs to be severely curtailed for at least3 weeks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

IMO, Inter Provincial travel is spreading the Covid Virus, and needs to be severely curtailed for at least3 weeks

Completely on your page 100%.

It's almost as if trying to copy the mistake of Song kran.....But worse!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

From my own observations, it would appear that it is absolutely critical to keep the Factories open and producing.

Exports are the only glimmer of hope for the Thai Gov,t at the moment. They are the only source of income into the Country now,

People will still need Food and other material Items for their Day to day living so those factories I can understand.

However, there appears to be  a high number of Factories that remain in production, with their goods being sold to Export, and where the Staff are actually locked inside to prevent them going out.

Of course, it will be said by the Owners of the Factories that the Staff choose to be there as they dont want to catch Covid, and then be deprived of earning Money for their Families, although some of the Factories have Covid cases already among their Staff.

Hmmmm

The staff here clearly not locked in as they walked toward the local shops to buy lunch. Also some live in small rooms just up the soi and headed back there with lunch before their shift starts again. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Completely on your page 100%.

It's almost as if trying to copy the mistake of Song kran.....But worse!!

Its almost as if the Gov,t are terrified of a backlash from Business.

Yes there will be a Backlash, but sometimes things have to be done for then greater good, and hang the feeling of the Business,s .

I still do not understand why they do not turn this whole vaccine program over to someone who can do and understand projects like this. In the USA, once the  vaccinations were turned over to the Walmarts, Walgreens, and CVS's ( drug stores) , etc. and taken out of the gov't bureaucratic machine, vaccination rates skyrocketed. TURN IT OVER TO 7/11!

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

Its almost as if the Gov,t are terrified of a backlash from Business.

Yes there will be a Backlash, but sometimes things have to be done for then greater good, and hang the feeling of the Business,s .

Been barking about inter province travels for some time.

Personally, I never saw it as blanket rule.

Would be easy to exempt such things as product transport etc.

For me it was more travel by Thai visiting family up country.

Horrible thing to prevent folks from visiting their families, however it's one of the most important aspects of lockdown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 10baht said:

I still do not understand why they do not turn this whole vaccine program over to someone who can do and understand projects like this. In the USA, once the  vaccinations were turned over to the Walmarts, Walgreens, and CVS's ( drug stores) , etc. and taken out of the gov't bureaucratic machine, vaccination rates skyrocketed. TURN IT OVER TO 7/11!

Did you notice vaccine cancelled this weekend (not all locations). 

Reason.......lack of vaccine supply.

They don't have the stuff in adequate supply. Check out the pictures of SCG.

Worse that a football final crowd.

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Do these guys even remember what they did last year?

Impose new stay at home orders and watch this thing disappear again.

Do I need to call the PM myself?

Is there a reason why this isn't being done? 

This is a bandaid on a massive head wound. As long as people aren't told to stay home, guess what, they won't!

Lock things down or soon they'll be forced into a Wuhan type lockdown and nobody wants that.

Guess you are on some kind welfare where the money falls out of the sky every month? Those people have easy talkings.

Protect the elder and the weak and open everything else again. That's how it should be done.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Been barking about inter province travels for some time.

Personally, I never saw it as blanket rule.

Would be easy to exempt such things as product transport etc.

For me it was more travel by Thai visiting family up country.

Horrible thing to prevent folks from visiting their families, however it's one of the most important aspects of lockdown.

At this moment in time, it has been reported that the Infections in BKK are slowing, and that thy are rising in the Provinces.

I am no Epidemiologist, or Virologist, but it is obvious to me that much damage has already been done by not curtailing Inter  Provincial travel.

The reverse of this scenario will happen, when the all clear sounds in BKK, and all the people return, and bring the Covid Virus back into BKK.

Hello Wave 4

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maddermax said:

As to be expected, the construction sites are to continue operating despite being one of the biggest spreaders of the virus. Shameful!

So true. They are constructing bigger and taller viruses every day. I heard that they are presently constructing the King Kong Variant. 

• Haha 1

They can do all kinds of lockdowns but they never can defeat the virus because, just look around: the cases are skyrocketing on those vaccinated people.
Actually, it looks like the year 2021 is worse than 2020 after the vaccines rolled out. The magic portions on the market aren't really effective, unlike as said in the advertising data claimed by manufacturers.
In conclusion, the virus will take its course before it disappears, so people have to get ready for it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Emdog said:

Please tell me those aren't US flags sewn together to make bed covers....

Psychology experiment? Pairing a (hopefully) neutral stimulus (the flag) with a negative experience (covid isolation) ought to lead survivors into Pavlovian association of US with awfulness.

Wonder why they didn't use Chinese flags? (not)

They will use Chinese flags at Suvarnabhumi airport no sense using then at number 2 airport Number 1 for the Chinese 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, tokyoblond said:

And each time my Thai staff applied they felt like we were fighting the SSO to get them to pay out, dodging obstacles put in our way by staff, e.g. "the database is being updated and it will take about 3 weeks to process your claim", "are you sure that the foreigner paid into the system, we can't find the records", etc.

As for business help? Nothing. Not 1 Baht in assistance. We even tried for one of the "soft-loans" but we were "not the right type of business" and it was suggested that the "foreigner could get money from their home country" (that elusive gold-plated bank account that we are all assumed to have back home).

Right now, income is down to about 20% of what it was before Covid struck and now we have entered another lockdown, meaning the business will be forced to shut down again, so no more income for the next month at least; yet the rent still has to be paid, we are still required to pay into the SSO monthly and so on - the costs don't just stop.

TLDR: No, this government have given NO help to small businesses. Of course, the big boys are coming out smelling of roses. Maybe that was the plan all along....

Oh, and for the usual "never invest more that you're willing to loose" crowd, save it! I know.

I really feel bad, hearing things like this, and i guess there are a LOT of foreigners doing businesses in Thailand that has all the same problems. I totally understand that you tried to save it and "ride it out" by using your savings. Who would have thought that this was going on that long??

But to be honest... i really think there is NO end to this. I think the plan goes on until 2030... so my advice is, plan for something that can be a solution even when this is ongoing. Don`t go around waiting for it to stop...

I wish you all the best of luck in the future!!

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

yes, vax will be coming sometimes to the end of year.

until then extentions 

The Vax that seems not to work? Yes, call me tin foil etc if you want but the reports oming from many countries show even those double jabbed are still getting the virus  and still passing it on to others double jabbed. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Strongheart said:

So true. They are constructing bigger and taller viruses every day. I heard that they are presently constructing the King Kong Variant. 

No worries, I hear the KK variant can easily be countered by the Godzilla vaccine, which apparently is being developed by Chulalongkorn University and is already undergoing animal trials on Burmese migrant workers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I believe a lot of these factories and manufacturing plants, including construction, are also contributing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Except for trainloads of sick people being dispersed to all other areas in Thailand!  Presumably the mall closures will be similar to the rules affecting supermarkets: you can buy food and talcum powder but not light bulbs!

In On Nut, Century Mall is completely closed (Including Macdonalds & Starbucks and you know it's the apocalypse when those 2 aren’t open) except for the Tops Supermarket in the basement 

12 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Welcome to Arlington penitentiary ????

2021-08-01T100203Z_1_LYNXMPEH700PC_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.jpeg

If i were a feeble senior in my last dying breaths, i’d still prefer to take my chances at home and kick the bucket at home too. This place in the picture will be a breeding hotspot of infections.

Edited by AnotherFarang8

16 hours ago, Emdog said:

Please tell me those aren't US flags sewn together to make bed covers....

Psychology experiment? Pairing a (hopefully) neutral stimulus (the flag) with a negative experience (covid isolation) ought to lead survivors into Pavlovian association of US with awfulness.

Wonder why they didn't use Chinese flags? (not)

They can use Chinese flags for bum wipe.

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Last month, the government called on people to follow the restrictions, warning without cooperation record daily could reach 30,000 under a worse-case scenario.

When worse-case scenario is not happening in Thailand! Almost they prediction's has been much less than reality!

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't say 'travel curbs'. That means NOTHING.

Under current travel restrictions for inter province travel you don't even need to list reason.

It's farcical.

I agree. 

Does this mean you can't fly out or go by bus but you can drive yourself. Not sure that makes sense although it might be the only option for me if I return soon. 

7 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I agree. 

Does this mean you can't fly out or go by bus but you can drive yourself. Not sure that makes sense although it might be the only option for me if I return soon. 

Yes. Flights, buses, vans are not running. But if you have a necessary reason for travelling it appears you can.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nightfox said:

All they are doing is extending the hardship to the millions of people that are out of work who cant make a living thanks to these restrictions.

With the vaccination programe so far behind where it should be , lockdowns are inevitable.

However the individuals and businesses so badly affected , SHOULD be getting extensive financial support.

That they are not is criminally negligent and very much portrays this governments sense of priority.

• Like 1