How much savings do I need to retire in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

The GF experience would never have suited me, I was too used to girls back home wanting to go with me just because it's me and not for my money.

Imagine renting a girl and walking about hand in hand with her when she is probably looking forward to the end of the rental time.

Why do you assume  she was looking forward to the end?

It may surprise you to know that some liked not having to hang out in a bar every night hoping for a customer so she could afford to live and send money home.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one needs 100k a month to live on, and doesn't spend it on women, one's rent must IMO be astronomical.

I lived on way less than 30,000 baht a month and that was in a very nice hotel

How many girlfriends have you got? I seem to have a small village of them. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

How many girlfriends have you got? I seem to have a small village of them. ????

After my divorce I gave up on women, but when I was a player I had one at a time. One Thai GF lasted 8 years before she found someone to marry.

The 30,000 baht was from when I wasn't taking women out.

When I was, they were the most expensive part of my budget.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

After my divorce I gave up on women, but when I was a player I had one at a time. One Thai GF lasted 8 years before she found someone to marry.

I slightly exaggerate my own situation of course.  I do try to limit my longer (medium) term involvement with any G/F, or the number at any one time, not for any financial reason, but just because my boredom threshold is quite low. My UK wife died some years ago now and I vowed never to marry again, as nobody would be able to compare, so it's G/Fs now. Bit off topic I guess, but it just go to how much money you need here to live the life that you wish. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I slightly exaggerate my own situation of course.  I do try to limit my longer (medium) term involvement with any G/F, or the number at any one time, not for any financial reason, but just because my boredom threshold is quite low. My UK wife died some years ago now and I vowed never to marry again, as nobody would be able to compare, so it's G/Fs now. Bit off topic I guess, but it just go to how much money you need here to live the life that you wish. 

Indeed. If renting, one needs to calculate the yearly cost, add whatever one wants to pay for food, ( don't forget the 800,000 to sit in a seperate account ), include medical insurance and work out how much it increases each year. Then one knows how much one has for incidentals such as travel, bars and women.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The GF experience would never have suited me, I was too used to girls back home wanting to go with me just because it's me and not for my money.

Imagine renting a girl and walking about hand in hand with her when she is probably looking forward to the end of the rental time.

Yo, Blue Suede - you were probably dazzling them with visits to Graceland... [and the shoes] 

Hey, if you are soooo hot, maybe she would be wanting a renewal of the rental contract... or as you admit, maybe not. 

** your mileage may differ...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one needs 100k a month to live on, and doesn't spend it on women, one's rent must IMO be astronomical.

I lived on way less than 30,000 baht a month and that was in a very nice hotel

Sorry for being nosey,, but I've read other posts of yours. It appears.

1. You love Thailand 

2. Life in the UK sucks for you.

3. You get the state pension

4. You lived on less than 30k in Chiang mai.

5. The pension is £780 or 35k. 

why aren't you living in thailand?

Edited by Grecian
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Sorry for being nosey,, but I've read other posts of yours. It appears.

1. You love Thailand 

2. Life in the UK sucks for you.

4. You lived on less than 30k in Chiang mai.

why aren't you living in thailand?

Can't pay for medical insurance in LOS and still have a life. Not all of us had 100,000 a month to live on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't pay for medical insurance in LOS and still have a life. Not all of us had 100,000 a month to live on.

Unless you have a chronic condition requiring the nhs isn't it better to live a happy life in thailand without insurance than a miserable existence in the UK with free health care?

• Confused 1

On 8/2/2021 at 7:57 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

Don't listen to the naysayers. You have twice what you need for an enjoyable retirement.

PM me for my bank info.

Apparently, I confused a couple of members with the above post despite using mostly single-syllable words.

PM me if you would like me to explain it to you.

5 hours ago, Grecian said:

2 hours ago, Grecian said:

Unless you have a chronic condition requiring the nhs isn't it better to live a happy life in thailand without insurance than a miserable existence in the UK with free health care?

What makes you think a Kiwi would get a £780 state pension from the UK and why would he swap living in New Zealand for the UK when he wants to be in Thailand? :coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a 68yo american living in Pattaya. I came here 4 years ago with$15,000 US in my saving and my retirement is $1,200 a month. I live quite nice on this but i stay out of the bars and have a nice GF that isn't a gold digger. The biggest expence in Thailand is entertainment other than that i find you can live nice here

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

What makes you think a Kiwi would get a £780 state pension from the UK and why would he swap living in New Zealand for the UK when he wants to be in Thailand? :coffee1:

Oh! My bad. I thought he was british!

good fortune he isn't imho

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bookstore said:

I am a 68yo american living in Pattaya. I came here 4 years ago with$15,000 US in my saving and my retirement is $1,200 a month. I live quite nice on this but i stay out of the bars and have a nice GF that isn't a gold digger. The biggest expence in Thailand is entertainment other than that i find you can live nice here

Having a GF is the biggest expense in Thailand for us

Pay for play and boozing is cheap.

GF,   plays the long game. way more expensive, watch out.