How much savings do I need to retire in Bangkok.

When I first moved to BKK I spent 7 months going completely crazy EVERY day/night. Lived right next to Nana Plaza to make things easy ????

Spent A LOT of money, but also have some fun and crazy memories from that time.

After that initial “booster” I got so tired of the nightlife, that have hardly been out since. Saved me a lot of money in the long run.

So highly recommend doing a “booster” to start with! 

PS. You have enough money, unless you fall in love with some girl and have to feed her village. in that case no amount is enough.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, khunpa said:

When I first moved to BKK I spent 7 months going completely crazy EVERY day/night. Lived right next to Nana Plaza to make things easy ????

Spent A LOT of money, but also have some fun and crazy memories from that time.

After that initial “booster” I got so tired of the nightlife, that have hardly been out since. Saved me a lot of money in the long run.

So highly recommend doing a “booster” to start with! 

PS. You have enough money, unless you fall in love with some girl and have to feed her village. in that case no amount is enough.

How many women?

7 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

I dont think i understand the question..

You really ask if you can live on a full western pension and 220k in a country less then a quarter of the living costs compared to where you live now?

Will be tight, will be tight.

Yes but the bargirls will eat into that

If you look at Moneychimp there is a "risky retirement calculator" that is useful for working out how long your money will last in retirement. It does depend on your lifestyle obviously but assuming the following:

220k invested 60:40 in stocks:cash

0% interest on cash

1% charges on investments

20 years of retirement up to age 86

The OP can spend 10k per year and his money will never run out.

Add his full UK pension and this goes up to a total of just over £19k.

At today's rate that is about 70,000 baht per month. If his pension is not index linked then 70k becomes say 50k in 20 years. As the value of the pension goes down the cost of medical insurance shoots up.

I think 70k is on the limit for Bangkok. I wouldn't do it. However, I think it is enough for Pattaya/Jomtien.

• Like 1

Being from the USA and not knowing the amount of your pension it is hard to provide any accurate answers.  I have lived in England so I think I can safely say your fuel costs will be a little cheaper here.  The fuels here are about the same or slightly higher than in the USA.  Depending on the visa you obtain there may be a required health insurance policy from an approved Thai insurance company needed.  At 66, they may not be too expensive but very cheap either.  Basic needs would be 40,000 THB for outpatient care and 400,000 THB for inpatient care.  And, you could be required to have a COVID policy for the covered amount of $100,000 USD.  Someone earlier gave good advice on food.  If you love Thai food it can be very reasonable.  But, if you prefer your home style or other western style foods expect to pay as much as 3 times the prices you are used to.  You may also be required to keep 800,000 THB in a Thai bank.

I assume you have either worked or holidayed here at some time past.  If it was many years ago do not expect things to be as inexpensive as they may have been at that time.  Good earlier advice on not getting involved with varius businesses some people may want you to invest in.  Another piece of advice, do not loan money you can not afford to lose to anyone no matter how nice she looks..

Wish you well! 

27 minutes ago, DSBones said:

If you look at Moneychimp there is a "risky retirement calculator" that is useful for working out how long your money will last in retirement. It does depend on your lifestyle obviously but assuming the following:

220k invested 60:40 in stocks:cash

0% interest on cash

1% charges on investments

20 years of retirement up to age 86

The OP can spend 10k per year and his money will never run out.

Add his full UK pension and this goes up to a total of just over £19k.

At today's rate that is about 70,000 baht per month. If his pension is not index linked then 70k becomes say 50k in 20 years. As the value of the pension goes down the cost of medical insurance shoots up.

I think 70k is on the limit for Bangkok. I wouldn't do it. However, I think it is enough for Pattaya/Jomtien.

I live in the Pattaya area on 100K+ per month. Comfortable, yes, excessive, no,  I couldn't live as I do in Bangkok on that amount, even if I had the wish to do so, which I don't. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Nightlife budget is...

I am not a bar goer.  My 'nighttime' entertainment is either a meal in a restaurant, a BBQ around the pool at home or with friends,  or relaxation with dogs and g/f at home. 

• Like 2