How much savings do I need to retire in Bangkok.

I think you can live easy on this.

Iff you not get trapped in a bad women it will be fine.

yes, the first monads they nice but then mama or papa get sick, or other family...

just live Your life and have fun.

Buy a appertment near the skytrain 1-2 milion bt . this will save cost from renting and stealing your belongings.

And you don't have to move all the times!!

And now bath/ pounds gives you some more money then before.

have a good time the last 25 years off your life.  

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, Michael Burke said:

to retire in Bangkok in 2022. I have 220,000GBP in savings and a full U.K pension,

You can but you will probably have a better lifestyle by far if you chose another location in Thailand. I find I can get by well in Bangkok BUT its the odd things (steak, wine, dining out, farang supermarkets, food delivery, malls, Brit pubs, pub food, etc) which make city living good are the things that kill your/my budget. 

Tescos in the UK always amazes me how cheap it is compared to the supers in central Bangkok.

As for "women" I gave them up years ago so they are not on my budget.

Edited by Whale
  • Haha 1

So, to the post. As a Yank, I am doing fine on my 65,000 baht a month (OK, some extra drawn for vacations in Samui). This can be maintained with no end based on my $1320.00 monthly Social security and retirement funds to match that amount for the monthly transfers. But I am in Chiang Mai.

Edited by wwest5829

On 8/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, Michael Burke said:

I am a 66 year old British male hoping to retire in Bangkok in 2022. I have 220,000GBP in savings and a full U.K pension, is this enough for a non smoker and very light drinker?

All replies and suggestions are welcomed. 

More than enough.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, partington said:

Bangkok is expensive, and if you want to live a reasonable life the UK state pension (which I presume you mean, though don't say directly)  is probably not enough alone, especially as there are no cost of living increases, so in 10 years it will have lost enormous value.

Decent accommodation , ie not a 35m2 room could cost 15-25,000B unless you live way out. You need health insurance, as a serious illness if uninsured can wipe out half your savings or more. If you eat western food it will triple food expenses.

As has been pointed out, it is getting more and more difficult to keep a UK bank account with a foreign address, so you need to take steps to open an offshore account which will not be in danger of sudden closure with little notice.

With the amount you have it is certainly possible, without too much problem,  if you are willing to diminish capital savings.

Bangkok does not have to be expensive. 

The building I live in is 100m from a BTS station that will get you to Asoke in under 20 minutes. 

50 sq/m 1 bedroom condo will cost you 10-11,000 THB, a 50 sq/m 1 bedroom corner unit with balcony 14K, 70 sq/m 2 bed around 22K.  

• Haha 2

Ultimately, anybody contemplating moving anywhere, be it Thailand or another country, just needs to research the budget needed to sustain the life they want.   It doesn't matter if it's a pension, or capital, how are you going to sustain that lifestyle in the long term.   Planning is everything.

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Frightening. like being close to a two legged dairy cow.   Sorry, not for me. 

Understood....I love milk, milking cows, 2 legged cows with asian eyes...besides, milk is good for strong teeth and bones????

Edited by Alwaysthailand

What's your escape plan ? If is goes bits up later in Thailand, where do you go and stay with just your £9ooo UK state pension ? 

It might sound daft, but I see too many people living on just a uk state pension as they blew their money and now cannot go home.

Myself, with your money, I'd buy a UK house and rent it out. Thereby giving you an escape route and better income. Live off the house, your pension and use an agent if required until you save 800,000 which you could do easy in a few years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The building I live in is 100m from a BTS station that will get you to Asoke in under 20 minutes. 

50 sq/m 1 bedroom condo will cost you 10-11,000 THB, a 50 sq/m 1 bedroom corner unit with balcony 14K, 70 sq/m 2 bed around 22K.  

20 minutes to Asoke means the terminal end of the BTS, either Mo Chit or Bearing, or an equivalent distance.  I consider that to exactly fit my description "way out" as you can't travel any further from the centre than that on BTS !

EDIT: Well I'm wrong here, as they have extended the BTS further than when I used to  live in Bangkok, so you CAN live further out and still be on the BTS.

Nevertheless I still consider my assessment of these former terminal stations as being "way out" to be a fair description...(I lived at Asoke)

Edited by partington
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

But the OP said he had a full UK Pension to live on. That's only Bht 33,000 but you are quoting accommodation at say 14k.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But the OP said he had a full UK Pension to live on. That's only Bht 33,000 but you are quoting accommodation at say 14k.

I did not read the OP as wanting to spend his entire pension on rent.

I don't pay rent but easily get by on 19k a month, even moreso in these Covid restricted times !!

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:20 PM, tonray said:

A lot depends on how you like to live. Many affordable housing options in Bangkok, but certainly there are some that might crimp your budget. Have you been to Bangkok for any length of time before ? I would always recommend spending a little more of the budget on housing and since you don't drink or smoke much, that should be very achievable. The big killers can be outlays in a relationship....buying into property, if not done with care, has left many expats heading back to council housing and a meager existence in their golden years. Just be careful and you should have more than enough.

It's not the money so much, it's all the hassles with immigration, unless you use a reputable agent, it has got steadily worse since the military took the country by force in 2014.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, sungod said:

must be all of a week since the last' how much money do you need to live in Thailand' thread.

Seems to be more 'newbies' than ever regurgitating the same questions, but I guess the owners have to keep the forum ticking along in difficult times.

I always enjoy these types of topics no matter how many, there are always plenty of newbies, and they are entitled to find out all they can before they come here, and there is no better place than here on TVF/Asean N.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:38 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know most foreigners don't buy those things for their girl. Smart farangs invest in those places with enormous potential. And they hire of course highly qualified people like their teerak with years of experience as an "entertainer". What could possibly go wrong? 

Nothing more can go wrong. You already fill all the dots. Don´t worry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was never into that. I preferred the girlfriend experience.

The GF experience would never have suited me, I was too used to girls back home wanting to go with me just because it's me and not for my money.

Imagine renting a girl and walking about hand in hand with her when she is probably looking forward to the end of the rental time.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Myself, with your money, I'd buy a UK house and rent it out. Thereby giving you an escape route and better income. Live off the house, your pension and use an agent if required until you save 800,000 which you could do easy in a few years

Excellent advice.

Op You need a plan B,  the above will do that for you.

After you have done 10 years here, maybe you wont feel the same about Thailand. what you going to do then with only frozen uk pension and only about 75% of your money left

if your lucky.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Whale said:

You can but you will probably have a better lifestyle by far if you chose another location in Thailand. I find I can get by well in Bangkok BUT its the odd things (steak, wine, dining out, farang supermarkets, food delivery, malls, Brit pubs, pub food, etc) which make city living good are the things that kill your/my budget. 

Tescos in the UK always amazes me how cheap it is compared to the supers in central Bangkok.

As for "women" I gave them up years ago so they are not on my budget.

Gave up women????????????????????????????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I am not a bar goer.  My 'nighttime' entertainment is either a meal in a restaurant, a BBQ around the pool at home or with friends,  or relaxation with dogs and g/f at home. 

If one needs 100k a month to live on, and doesn't spend it on women, one's rent must IMO be astronomical.

I lived on way less than 30,000 baht a month and that was in a very nice hotel

• Confused 2