My experience getting vaccinated at McCormick Hospital

Barley

https://www.facebook.com/covid.int.cm/?__tn__=-UC*F

Walk In Vaccination Over 60s or 7 Chronic Health Conditions at McCormick Hospital
Non-Thai nationals Over 60 yrs or those under 60 yrs with 7 Chronic Health conditions, both registered and unregistered, may now walk-in, without appointments, to the vaccination centre at McCormick Hospital from now until 6 August from 12.30 -15.00. Please bring you passport and evidence of health condition if appropriate.

• Thanks 1

Got mine today. Over 60, no 7 health problems. Went fairly smoothly. Got there at 2pm. Suggest getting a little earlier. Everyone was nice with smiles. 

I like the fact that in 3 weeks I get my 2nd shot. Not months in between shots.

• Like 1

Sorry, today it was a big mess and the queue was too long. There are so many middle points/steps to go to and the instructions weren't clear on what the next step is.

I wouldn't call that 'going smoothly'. I can't comment about the queue situation before today.

It seems that it started becoming worse when someone announced 'walk-in' on the internet.

Edited by EricTh

37 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Sorry, today it was a big mess and the queue was too long. There are so many middle points/steps to go to and the instructions weren't clear on what the next step is.

I wouldn't call that 'going smoothly'. I can't comment about the queue situation before today.

It seems that it started becoming worse when someone announced 'walk-in' on the internet.

They call your number - you go.

He checks your paperwork, gives you directions. You go.

And on ... and on ... and on

What did you find so difficult ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EricTh said:

By no means perfect. Thankfully the cloud cover helped a bit. I was at the end of a long line when a young lady asked if anyone was over 60, and we were brought to the front of the line. So that was a nice surprise. 

Personally, since I did register on The Wall, it would have been nice to have an appointment only set up first. But I never got an SMS, so I had to take my chances today. 

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

They call your number - you go.

He checks your paperwork, gives you directions. You go.

And on ... and on ... and on

What did you find so difficult ?

I agree. I got a consent form with a number. Filled it out and waited until they called the number.
Then the jab.

Simple Simon.

26 minutes ago, SamSanuk said:

By no means perfect. Thankfully the cloud cover helped a bit. I was at the end of a long line when a young lady asked if anyone was over 60, and we were brought to the front of the line. So that was a nice surprise. 

Personally, since I did register on The Wall, it would have been nice to have an appointment only set up first. But I never got an SMS, so I had to take my chances today. 

That explained why you stated 'it went smoothly' because you jumped queue. I had an appointment today but I was not brought to the front of the extremely long line which snaked to the car park.

I was in the queue for one hour, then they fumbled with the registration list even though I showed them my appointment in Thai writing that I printed from the internet, then they did not gave clear instructions on the next step on what to do at point A.....

Many people also wasted their time on another queue that is meant for something else because the instructions wasn't clear on point A.

There was one nurse who asked me to take a certain medicine which I am allergic to but reported in an earlier point E. 

It was clearly a big mess with too many cooks spoiling the broth.

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

That explained why you stated 'it went smoothly' because you jumped queue. I had an appointment today but I was not brought to the front of the extremely long line which snaked to the car park.

I was in the queue for one hour, then they fumbled with the registration list even though I showed them my appointment, not giving clear instructions on the next step..... It was clearly a big mess.

Yes, but I had no foreknowledge of such a jump. I just got lucky. But it did make it a lot easier. That car park line was long and really needs to be handled better.

Given the amount of people who registered with The Wall, maybe they should have been given priority before walk-ins. Again, I registered, am over 60, and heard not a peep. It was frustrating. I took a chance by showing up. 

Bloody shambles today at McCormick, can concur with what EricTh posted. "Walk-ins" were mixed with people that had an appointment. It wasn't until you got to front of the queue that somebody was asking for people with appointments to identify themselves. Took me 3 hours today, arrived at appointed time of 2pm and didn't leave until 5pm, so hardly plain sailing as some posters have said.

Lucky it wasn't raining today as the queue snaking from the car park wasn't under cover...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Barley said:

I arrived half an hour late but that was no problem.

I was quickly processed and got a number.

When my number was called I could enter the vaccination room and was assigned a seat. According to my observation, I was 60 numbers ahead of the last called number, and it took about 30 minutes until my number came up, so about two numbers per minute, maybe even slightly faster.

Once in the room I didn't have to wait long. The vaccination was done very professionally from a push cart tended by several hospital workers. I was even given a free glass of water.

I was given clear instructions before and after the jab. The Sinovac vaccination itself took about 30 seconds. Then I was given the date and time for my second vaccination appointment with Astra Zeneca exactly three weeks from the date of my first immunization.

After that I was asked to rest for around 30 minutes, and after maybe 15 - 20 minutes a health worker came by and took my blood pressure, heart rate, blood oxygen level, and temperature. Everything was fine and they told me I can go now.

The whole thing was handled very efficiently and it was a very pleasant experience. I was positively surprised how smooth and well organized everything was handled.

Cudos to the health department who organized this event. I am very happy the Thai government kept its promise and I was able to receive a free Covid-19 vaccination. Thank you Thailand! ????

Nice report.

I was surprised you chose to get Sinovac.

I guess thats what's on offer.  

Well, when I went yesterday it was going very smoothly just as I described. 

I obviously couldn't predict the troubles people might have had today. 

Whenever you change a system - especially one built on scarcity - from appointment to walk-in some unforeseen growing pains might occur, since it is not easy to scale the logistics to an unknown, possibly overwhelming, demand. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mansell said:

Would have been nice if you told us what city this hospital is in, mainly because it doesn’t have anything to do with ninety percent of us. But I did a search and figured it out.

His post is in the Chiang Mai forum which is a pretty good hint.

• Like 1

Tell me, these guys who post away on the CM Forum thinking they are someplace else in cyberspace,  when they are physically in Hua Hin do they think they are in Udorn or when in Phayao think they are in Phuket? Lost is lost.  Ok on the keyboard but whooo on wheels or even on foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I just clicked on the list of topics on the right. It doesn't say which forum or which city until you start to read the posts.

Assuming you go to the first post in a new topic there are a couple of giveaways as to which forum you are in;

CM.jpg.3b2d884a876cdb3ca91269a58db0f355.jpg

Edited by fangless
  • Haha 1

Yesterday after 2PM they did again vaccinate everybody who walked in, many younger people as well (I would even guess the majority of people were under 60)

They were quite quick in processing the queue, took less than an hour until I had my shot.

Edited by jackdd