The Best Meal Value In Pattaya Is...

Weho

In the food hall area, downstairs at Carrefour, at the Carrefour booth, in front of the door going to the parking lot, they sell excellent roast beef sandwiches for 35 baht. It is very high quality REAL roast beef, good bread, and priced right. A sandwich at nearby Subway sandwiches, with processed/high nitrates ridden fake "roast beef" is something like 120 baht.

Another good deal in town: I like the children's meals at some of the fast food places, where it's sort of like "portion control", where you can't overeat. I like the small sized drinks, where you're not drinking huge quantities of sugar since it's a child's portion. KFC has one for 65 baht, with a nice toy. 10 baht extra for greasy fries though... and KFC will usually let you substitute the child's drumstick for a nice breast piece. (Always remove the skin, no matter what, or you'll end up like one of those European pot-bellies, that hangs out at Royal Garden in a tattered TANK-TOP that says something like "Manchester United", or "Chang Beer"... very impressive!

McDonald's is o.k too, cause you get a small hamburger... Yes, I know they aren't too healthy, but the point is the portions are small, so it's not as wicked as if you were ordering 2 big macs, a large fries, and a large sugary Coke.

For a healthier meal, at a fair price, the Sizzler salad bar is good, but don't take any of the mayonaise-ridden "salads" there, and go for the low calorie salad dressing. Their low-carb pesto fish is a great choice too, but a few more baht.

ANY MORE TALK ABAT MAN U AND CHANG BEER AND YOULL BE WEARIN THIS MATE ! :rolleyes:Only joking, i prefer the american portions at sizzler, all you can carry, then a 4 hour sleep, seems to keep my 100 kilo frame at its peak thankyou ,.

post-41326-1181097341_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Weho, just been reading your last post, are you male or female by the way?

Maybe I'm "gender-neutral", maybe I'm both, maybe I'm neither. Maybe I drive a pickup trick and wear flannel shirts, and have lots of cats running around.

Please explain why you need to do, or what it has to do with the price of a cheap sandwich, and I'll be happy to respond, if convinced.

And regarding the good value meals, I was referring to farang-type food... I'm sure you can get local Thai food for 5 baht... but you might also get Tomaine (sp.?).... or trichinosis.

Driving a pickup trick? Sounds kinky.

I disagree with the "local food"comment you referred to. I've eaten many delicious meals at small noodle stands or other varieties of what we can refer to as "street food", and I have never gotten sick from eating any of it. The places I *have* gotten food poisoning from include Subway (Carrefour), Bob's Texas BBQ (Beef Brisket) and the slop atop the Russian Erection (Pattaya Park Tower Revolving Buffet).

I do however, understand why people avoid street food. Some people have a higher tolerance for bacteria and other things that swim in undercooked or poorly kept food. A friend of mine got a violent case of ptomaine from some duck... which I also ate, and did not affect me at all. I suppose I've eaten enough street food to have a fairly healthy tolerance.

Thanks for the suggestion for the roast beef sandwiches at Carrefour, but there's no way I'll order a "kids" meal at McDonald's :D

Itried the russian /pattaya tower ,re named it the revolting cafe ! <deleted>, and the whole of pattaya park is a tip ! :o

In the food hall area, downstairs at Carrefour, at the Carrefour booth, in front of the door going to the parking lot, they sell excellent roast beef sandwiches for 35 baht. It is very high quality REAL roast beef, good bread, and priced right. A sandwich at nearby Subway sandwiches, with processed/high nitrates ridden fake "roast beef" is something like 120 baht.

Another good deal in town: I like the children's meals at some of the fast food places, where it's sort of like "portion control", where you can't overeat. I like the small sized drinks, where you're not drinking huge quantities of sugar since it's a child's portion. KFC has one for 65 baht, with a nice toy. 10 baht extra for greasy fries though... and KFC will usually let you substitute the child's drumstick for a nice breast piece. (Always remove the skin, no matter what, or you'll end up like one of those European pot-bellies, that hangs out at Royal Garden in a tattered TANK-TOP that says something like "Manchester United", or "Chang Beer"... very impressive!

McDonald's is o.k too, cause you get a small hamburger... Yes, I know they aren't too healthy, but the point is the portions are small, so it's not as wicked as if you were ordering 2 big macs, a large fries, and a large sugary Coke.

For a healthier meal, at a fair price, the Sizzler salad bar is good, but don't take any of the mayonaise-ridden "salads" there, and go for the low calorie salad dressing. Their low-carb pesto fish is a great choice too, but a few more baht.

In the dinning room downstairs at Tropical berts at the Tropial berts servery at the side of the door going in to the pantery over near the window overlooking the car park, they sell exxxcellent roast beef sarnies, (sorry about the spelling im not as inteligent as some others).

anyway so as i was saying i would never eat of of a mere street trader type of person,certanly not, i mean one look at someone serving you with a Tank top with somthing written on like Leeds utd or Tetleys beer or similar, oh the thought!

now heres a tip for you, i tend to buy Kids meals, now wait for it dont think im daft!

1 small potions are good for your tummy

2 small portions are good for your little pockets

now the only thing wrong with this is, im 6 foot 2, and 45 years old and when you queue up and ask for a kiddys meal, everyone looks at you, then they look behind you, for the child, then they look at each other, then they go alina scrathing thier heads and saying somthin like, i mean i dont speake thai but, "flangtington"

Hi Weho, just been reading your last post, are you male or female by the way?

Maybe I'm "gender-neutral", maybe I'm both, maybe I'm neither. Maybe I drive a pickup trick and wear flannel shirts, and have lots of cats running around.

Please explain why you need to do, or what it has to do with the price of a cheap sandwich, and I'll be happy to respond, if convinced.

And regarding the good value meals, I was referring to farang-type food... I'm sure you can get local Thai food for 5 baht... but you might also get Tomaine (sp.?).... or trichinosis.

Driving a pickup trick? Sounds kinky.

I disagree with the "local food"comment you referred to. I've eaten many delicious meals at small noodle stands or other varieties of what we can refer to as "street food", and I have never gotten sick from eating any of it. The places I *have* gotten food poisoning from include Subway (Carrefour), Bob's Texas BBQ (Beef Brisket) and the slop atop the Russian Erection (Pattaya Park Tower Revolving Buffet).

I do however, understand why people avoid street food. Some people have a higher tolerance for bacteria and other things that swim in undercooked or poorly kept food. A friend of mine got a violent case of ptomaine from some duck... which I also ate, and did not affect me at all. I suppose I've eaten enough street food to have a fairly healthy tolerance.

Thanks for the suggestion for the roast beef sandwiches at Carrefour, but there's no way I'll order a "kids" meal at McDonald's :o

Where do I start... first of all, thanks for the extra attention you've given me, that I crave so much...

I can't believe you're still alive after eating at "many" noodle stands/street "food". I see those vendors pull out these plastic bowls where washing passes for a quick DUNK in filthy/bacteria ridden slop. If you've really survived that, the military needs to get a hold of you, to do some research and testing on. And the rancid oil, that probably hasn't been changed in weeks? And just imagine how many insects fly into that, especially when it cools down, and turns into some hardened lard material, which gets heated up, and turned into oil again, the next day, and over and over, maybe even for weeks. I must admit, the deep fried crickets they sell do seem quite tasty... IF you've been held as a prisioner and haven't had anything to eat in weeks... and some people eat them voluntarily here. Go figure.

I would like to compliment you on knowing the correct spelling of PTOMAINE... something, no doubt, you are quite familiar with. And I have a sense that you may become even more familiar with it very shortly, if you keep eating that "street food". YECH!

Sorry , i have to agree, i eat at the "barrows ' and have never had a problem, i think we may have developed an immunity to the dirty oil/cups/plates etc etc you mention,however i have taken a tumble or 2 on / off the plastic chairs and the tin foil utensils can be fragile, but all in all i like it !

I stand corrected, I meant Hepititis A. Also, I feel a small child's portion at KFC or McDonald's is a safer choice than a 1 gram serving of any street food sold in Thailand. Very risky, indeed. McDonald's does have a healthy salad, as long as you don't smother it with the "salad cream" they provide, which isn't too bad. At KFC, if you remove ALL of the chicken skin, as I always do, it's not too bad.

And the chances of a KFC worker hocking a "loogie", in my opinion, in Thailand, are pretty small. In other countries, it's almost guaranteed.

I do wish the fast food places had some healthier options here. Au Bon Pain has some good choices. I always order the child's meals at fast food places, cause I don't always trust my self-control when eating... kind of like the way some of you "pig out" and have 2 big burgers, 2 large fries, a JUMBO sugary diabetic-inducing Coke, and a few beers to "chase" it down. At least I know i'm not in that category.

Here's a tip: make sure you eat LOTS of fiber... fiber is life. Fiber is the key to life. Street food has virtually NO FIBER. It's mostly all fried crap, which can make British food start to look good.

Human semen was found in a burger in a mc donalds in england,it was well publicised and im sure you will find it on line if you doubt me,. now what could they call a burger with that ingredeant ? :o

great suggestions.

Human semen??? just think about that for a moment...how would it be found? who would detect it? you would have to pick the right burger and then rush it , uneaten to a path lab and analyze it etc etc....ever heard of "Urban Myths"????

About 20 years ago a girl I knew tried to persuade me that a friend of hers had got food poisoning and 5 separate semen traces were found in her meal....I pointed out that she also to my knowledge had "consumed" semen on several occasions but never seemed to have contracted food poisoning herself.

Edited by wilko

great suggestions.

I agree, im off for breakfast ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

Human semen??? just think about that for a moment...how would it be found? who would detect it? you would have to pick the right burger and then rush it , uneaten to a path lab and analyze it etc etc....ever heard of "Urban Myths"????

About 20 years ago a girl I knew tried to persuade me that a friend of hers had got food poisoning and 5 separate semen traces were found in her meal....I pointed out that she also to my knowledge had "consumed" semen on several occasions but never seemed to have contracted food poisoning herself.

Im trying to find the article ,but heres another one,.WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A grandmother was alarmed to find a used condom in a happy meal gift pack bought for her 7-year-old granddaughter at a McDonald's (MCD) restaurant in New Zealand, local media reported Thursday.

The condom was discovered Tuesday night in a bag that came with Maia Whitaker's meal, which her grandparents bought at a McDonald's outlet in the city of Wellington.

Grandpa Rowan Hutch told The Dominion Post newspaper it was lucky his wife was first to look inside the small sports bag that came with the meal.

She was aghast when she found the green condom inside the bag, he said.

"I was pretty horrified really. The fact my granddaughter was going to look in the bag and find this thing. It would be difficult to explain, she's only seven," said Hutch.

The outlet quickly swapped the happy meal for a hamburger and pencil case. McDonald's is investigating the find.

Spokeswoman Joanna Redfern-Hardisty said because of its popularity, the previous happy meal gift had sold out at the outlet and prepackaged sports bags were substituted as children's gifts. {.I love the bit where they say it was swopped for another meal !

I stand corrected, I meant Hepititis A. Also, I feel a small child's portion at KFC or McDonald's is a safer choice than a 1 gram serving of any street food sold in Thailand. Very risky, indeed. McDonald's does have a healthy salad, as long as you don't smother it with the "salad cream" they provide, which isn't too bad. At KFC, if you remove ALL of the chicken skin, as I always do, it's not too bad.

And the chances of a KFC worker hocking a "loogie", in my opinion, in Thailand, are pretty small. In other countries, it's almost guaranteed.

I do wish the fast food places had some healthier options here. Au Bon Pain has some good choices. I always order the child's meals at fast food places, cause I don't always trust my self-control when eating... kind of like the way some of you "pig out" and have 2 big burgers, 2 large fries, a JUMBO sugary diabetic-inducing Coke, and a few beers to "chase" it down. At least I know i'm not in that category.

Here's a tip: make sure you eat LOTS of fiber... fiber is life. Fiber is the key to life. Street food has virtually NO FIBER. It's mostly all fried crap, which can make British food start to look good.

Human semen was found in a burger in a mc donalds in england,it was well publicised and im sure you will find it on line if you doubt me,. now what could they call a burger with that ingredeant ? :o

No fiber???? Where on earth do you get that idea from? Fiber in McD's NO NO NO - white bread salt suger and fat. Coke - fiber....you should see what a couple of cans of Coke did to the inside of my vintage Citroen's cylinders!!!!!!

Pok -Pok no fiber? Khao Niaew Ma-muang no fiber? noodles no fiber? Fresh veggies no fiber? Rice no fiber?? beans and fruit no fiber?

No fiber???? Where on earth do you get that idea from? Fiber in McD's NO NO NO - white bread salt suger and fat. Coke - fiber....you should see what a couple of cans of Coke did to the inside of my vintage Citroen's cylinders!!!!!!

Pok -Pok no fiber? Khao Niaew Ma-muang no fiber? noodles no fiber? Fresh veggies no fiber? Rice no fiber?? beans and fruit no fiber?

Good news is the guys on 2nd rd making kebabs are back from holidays still 50b for beef or chicken

The guys on his motorsi in soi bukhao market is planning on adding lamb as well as the chicken he has now, lamb will be 70b however

There's no such thing as immunity from food poisoning and if you eat at a western buffet you may well experience the delights of food poisoning sooner rather than later.
Resistance ?

My father was in the "resistance"in Belgium, I've never known him to have had the runners.

He had to run a couple of times though.

cheers

stan

WeHo, I enjoy your posts. They are quirky.

Your obsession with food outlets is great fun. One thing I am sure of however is that you dine alone.

In BKK there is an Italian place in the Arnoma hotel that is hard to beat. 400 baht for 2 people is a real baragin. Freshly cooked pasta dish of your choice and a knockout buffet. It's on the second floor.

If you ask real nice, the chef will dice an entire whicker armchair into your salad to ensure you get plenty of fibre. As WeHo states. Fibre is life! It ensures you crap regualrly. That MUST be what life is all about.

WeHo, I enjoy your posts. They are quirky.

Your obsession with food outlets is great fun. One thing I am sure of however is that you dine alone.

In BKK there is an Italian place in the Arnoma hotel that is hard to beat. 400 baht for 2 people is a real baragin. Freshly cooked pasta dish of your choice and a knockout buffet. It's on the second floor.

If you ask real nice, the chef will dice an entire whicker armchair into your salad to ensure you get plenty of fibre. As WeHo states. Fibre is life! It ensures you crap regualrly. That MUST be what life is all about.

I wonder why you would think that I would "dine alone". What clues do you think I've written that would lead you to make that presumption?

In general, my experience is most places that claim to have big portions usually serve bad food... they should advertise honestly something like, "BAD FOOD, BUT LARGE PORTIONS".

I still think Sizzler can't be beat for value. Lunch special 199 baht, including the salad bar... with a chicken breast, or pesto Dory fish... plus 10% off with their discount card. 15 baht for COLD water... not too bad.

But PLEASE people, learn some SALAD BAR ETIQUETTE... I observed an asian female, with long black hair, stick her little brainless head UNDER the glass bacteria protection barrier around the salad bar, so she could successfully reach the more expensive salad bar items, that Sizzler strangly places in the BACK area, thus requiring either long arms, or the asian head under the glass trick. It was a most disquieting sight to witness. I really wanted to "bitch-slap" her silly, but realized it would do no good... that ilk will continue that poor behavior.

A salad bar CAN be a "hotbed" of bacteria... all those people touching those ladels... with filthy, unwashed hands... wiping their noses, then grabbing the quail egg ladel. YECH!!!

Still, it's a better risk than going with the street food.

snip...But PLEASE people, learn some SALAD BAR ETIQUETTE... I observed an asian female, with long black hair, stick her little brainless head UNDER the glass bacteria protection barrier around the salad bar, so she could successfully reach the more expensive salad bar items, that Sizzler strangly places in the BACK area, thus requiring either long arms, or the asian head under the glass trick. It was a most disquieting sight to witness. I really wanted to "bitch-slap" her silly, but realized it would do no good... that ilk will continue that poor behavior...snip

You have issues my friend.

But PLEASE people, learn some SALAD BAR ETIQUETTE... I observed an asian female, with long black hair, stick her little brainless head UNDER the glass bacteria protection barrier around the salad bar, so she could successfully reach the more expensive salad bar items, that Sizzler strangly places in the BACK area, thus requiring either long arms, or the asian head under the glass trick. It was a most disquieting sight to witness. I really wanted to "bitch-slap" her silly, but realized it would do no good... that ilk will continue that poor behavior.
Thailand, Asian girl, long black hair? Was she about 5'-6", 105lbs, almond skin and brown eyes? I think I know her, or her sister. :o

I don't think you need worry about the bacteria from her though. The folks preparing the salad will have done a good job between washing it in tap water, dropping their nose pickings into it and chopping it on the same board as everything else. :D

A salad bar CAN be a "hotbed" of bacteria... all those people touching those ladels... with filthy, unwashed hands... wiping their noses, then grabbing the quail egg ladel. YECH!!!

So why the heck do you eat there? At 199 Baht I'd of thought it was a ways out of your price range before taking into account all the local cultures you'll be eating as well. :D

It is presumed that you eat alone because I, for one, couldn't imagine any woman putting up with such a whinging hygene freak for long enough to order a meal let alone eat it. And if she got through the meal she'd have to put up with the whining over a 16 Baht bowl of rice.

Anyway you're a good wind up merchant always good for a laugh. :D

If you want food poisoning eat at a western salad bar...nothing is better at providing a good selection of virulent strains of bacteria, and handling by people is by no means the only source of contamination.

If you want food poisoning eat at a western salad bar...nothing is better at providing a good selection of virulent strains of bacteria, and handling by people is by no means the only source of contamination.

Yes, my wife and kids used to enjoy a treat on the first night I arrived home on vacation - we would go to Lo Yen and eat at Sizzlers. But a year or more ago, after a restructuring of the place, change of management, so on - we all had the runs on three successive visits. So no more Sizzlers (Pattaya). Bang Na (in Central) was always worse than Pattaya, so we keep clear of that one, if shopping. Plenty of other chains if you want, or the food courts.

I try to avoid all these Western franchised chains of eateries. Possible exception is Fudruckers, but I haven't seen that in Thailand.

I was just curious...how was this "brainless Asian female" supposed to reach the "expensive salad bar items"? Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to "bitch-slap" the manager who placed this item out of this poor brainless Asian girl's reach.

You definitely have issues.

Edited by tropo

It is presumed that you eat alone because I, for one, couldn't imagine any woman putting up with such a whinging hygene freak for long enough to order a meal let alone eat it. And if she got through the meal she'd have to put up with the whining over a 16 Baht bowl of rice.

I think Weho prefers guys :o

I think Weho prefers guys :o

Guys are even LESS likely to put up with that!

There's no such thing as immunity from food poisoning and if you eat at a western buffet you may well experience the delights of food poisoning sooner rather than later.
Resistance ?

My father was in the "resistance"in Belgium, I've never known him to have had the runners.

He had to run a couple of times though.

cheers

stan

Resistance runner, ? yes they were marvellous during the war !

I think Weho prefers guys :D

Guys are even LESS likely to put up with that!

I know, Thats why he has to sleep with his goldfish :o

Yes, I admit I have salad bar issues...

And now that the word is out on those 35 baht sandwiches from Carrefour, I'm afraid they will proably have to raise the price to like 40 baht soon, just to keep the rif-raf away.

As far as my dining alone or not, I'm honored that those of you who continue to ponder this thought, spend so much time on it. I can only imagine the calibur of meal conversation YOU have with that kind of intellect being demonstrated here. I had no idea I was that fascinating... so fascinating, that many of you refer to older posts, long forgotten by me, but must have really "hit a nerve" with some of you.

And on this subject, another good value, (not sure if they still do it, I don't think so...), the Marriott hotel had a lunch special, I think 169 baht, which had a small salad bar, nice make-your-own-sandwich bar, fruit, soups, and a few other items... They had it when they were remodeling their Chinese restaurant... I'm sure the special is long gone. Boo hoo.

One other "good value" Pattaya restaurant... I like that Great American Rib place, on Tepprasit, but it's a bit more expensive... I think 1/2 rack of ribs is 295 baht, but it comes with good corn bread, and two sides, like bbq beans and good cole slaw. It ends up being a pretty big meal... the full rack, I think 395 baht, might be a better value for hearty eaters... They have good desserts there, but they are a bit overpriced... Drinks were a little expensive there too, but for good quality, and good quantity, it rates high. One thing I did notice the other day, as I sped by on a motorbike taxi: there is a HUGE sign asking for workers, in EVERY category... seems odd that a decent restaurant can't keep their staff. Maybe they pay them too little, or the boss isn't nice... maybe it's just a coinsodence... don't really know, but that's usually a bad indicator.

And the FUJI salmon steak lunch special is a great deal... at lunch, they throw in some fresh cut fruit AND a few teaspoons of coffee or tea (hot or cold, your choice for the teaspoons)... still a good deal, and a very healthy choice, unless you smother your rice with sugary teriyaki sauce, as I enjoy doing.

I had no idea I was that fascinating... so fascinating, that many of you refer to older posts, long forgotten by me, but must have really "hit a nerve" with some of you.

Jeez, You must have an awful memory, posts from just 1-2 days ago being 'long forgotten' :o