New Passport Number on Thai Drivers License

I have a new passport and want to put the new number on my Thai drivers license.   Does anyone know what paperwork I need  to accomplish this without having to go back and forth.  Smooth & Seamless, if that is possible.    One of my friends said to forget about it, but I have 4 more years left and I'd rather do it now.  This is in Phuket so it might be different.

I think I saw this here once before but I couldn't find it in the searches I tried.  Thanks.

It could come down to your local DLT requirements, I changed PP number in Pattaya with just the new passport, took 5 minutes. 

Maybe check local DLT as many are running on reduced services at the moment.

OP...  A couple of weeks after getting my replacement PP (approximately 3 months ago) I went to the Land Transport Office and requested that my driving licence be updated with my new PP number.  The process was simple.  All I needed was a photo copy of my old and new PP's (data pages), new PP page showing transfer stamps and my original DL.  I had original and new PP with me but was not asked for them.  No additional forms to fill in.  Presented these to the receptionist who issued a queue number and had a short wait to be called for photo to be taken and issue of updated DL.  If I remember correctly there was a small fee for the replacement DL (receipt was issued).  I was in/out in about 30 minutes.

Obviously with the current Covid situation the process may change depending upon which LT office you use.

Edited by 007 RED
Typo
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Enough necessary admin here without adding unnecessary work.

I agree in principal - particularly about the number of PP copies I have lodged at Immigration.  However I think the OP is concerned about police ramifications.  I am driving around  with a DL showing my old address and old PP number.  A hungry cop may ask expensive questions. I am anxious to rectify this but Pattaya DLC is a nightmare at the best of times.

• Like 1

Never experienced or heard Thai DL ever checked against Passport.

Passport DLT Validated at time of DL Issue. End of.

Never Carry Your Passport without Absolute Need.

Worth Changing a 2 Year “Passport” DL to a 5 Year “National ID” DL......

Did that same day as Pink Card Issued

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Never experienced or heard Thai DL ever checked against Passport.

Passport DLT Validated at time of DL Issue. End of.

Never Carry Your Passport without Absolute Need.

Worth Changing a 2 Year “Passport” DL to a 5 Year “National ID” DL......

Did that same day as Pink Card Issued

Huh?

The Driver’s License Department at the Phuket Land Transport Office is temporarily closed.  TFN.    I was going this week to change my DL when I do my 90 day.  So I'll forget about it until .... 2024-2025, when the tourist start coming back.????????????

Edited by LivingNThailand

• 2 months later...

I finally went to get my driver's license updated with my new passport #.  They wanted a copy of my new passport data page, copy of my visa transfer stamps, my old driver's license AND a one of those residence papers with the photo and stamp from immigration.  Not sure why I had to prove I live here when I did so last year.  Luckily Phuket immigration is only 5 minutes away so drove over there.  I have a folder with extra copies of things I think immigration may want, so I had a copy of my TM6,  extra copy of my new passport, photo & something else they needed.  Got a number and was called in a few minutes.

The INTERESTING thing was when I gave all the papers to the girl behind desk #6 she asked me for 300 baht and I politely asked for a receipt.  She got very defensive and hostile, shoved my passport back at me and said something like if I wanted a receipt I had to come back tomorrow (couldn't hear exactly what she said because of the mask and the plastic screen).  So I gave her the 300 baht.  Now I know that paper is supposed to be free, but what can you do?  Come back tomorrow?  I got to say, I was surprised by this behavior because overall most of the time the people at immigration are fairly nice and I always get a receipt when I submit my annual renewal for extension.

Went back to get the DL and everyone was nice and efficient.  55 baht for the new driver's license 
AND a receipt.

So I guess the answer to my own question is to bring copies of everything you ever thought a government office would possibly need plus 300 - 2,000 extra baht just in case.

????

Edited by LivingNThailand
added something

6 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

At Rayong Immigration earlier this month I paid 500 baht, no receipt given. I don't object, they're providing a service.

I didn't object or argue.  I was just surprised how hostile she was.  She practically threw the passport at me.   I always ask for a receipt for everything.  Anyway, I did the follow up to mention that when going to a government office you  probably should take just about everything you might need as far as paperwork goes, just in case.  Trying to be helpful.

2 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I didn't object or argue.  I was just surprised how hostile she was.  She practically threw the passport at me.   I always ask for a receipt for everything.  Anyway, I did the follow up to mention that when going to a government office you  probably should take just about everything you might need as far as paperwork goes, just in case.  Trying to be helpful.

I suppose she felt you were challenging her in some way. But your point about taking more paperwork than you think you need is absolutely right. Having this morning submitted the photo page of my passport for a driving licence application I was required to sign copies of two of the other pages - at least the DLT didn't charge for them. 

On 8/9/2021 at 10:51 AM, mikebell said:

I agree in principal - particularly about the number of PP copies I have lodged at Immigration.  However I think the OP is concerned about police ramifications.  I am driving around  with a DL showing my old address and old PP number.  A hungry cop may ask expensive questions. I am anxious to rectify this but Pattaya DLC is a nightmare at the best of times.

I don't think there is a law saying they should be the same. I had an accident this year and had to get a police report, deal with insurance etc. All of it was done with my old PP number on my licence, and no issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1