The Chinese Online ESL Crackdown

And how does this refer to Teaching in Thailand? If your point isn´t that they will get more busy, that will say.

The people that miss out on English classes can get the same bad quality lessons from a local online amateur.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tonray said:

My neighbor is busier than ever...he spends 8 or 9 hours a day teaching Chinese kids online.....

Glad to hear. Seems the Chinese govt's final decision about what to do with the companies is up in the air, for the time being.

Some are saying the companies are furiously getting their last month of subscriptions done, before the hammer comes down. Others are saying that with enough resistance, the govt might reverse course. We all know how business vs. govt works here in Thailand. When business runs into a prob, fat envelopes usually solve it. ????

Regardless, it seems many are quitting and now flooding the non-Chinese ESL platforms. ????

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

And how does this refer to Teaching in Thailand?

It's there in my OP. Many of us teachers in Thailand rely on online ESL teaching for a second source of income. Also retired expats. Much of this online teaching has been done in China, and is now in jeopardy.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

It's there in my OP. Many of us teachers in Thailand rely on online ESL teaching for a second source of income. Also retired expats. Much of this online teaching has been done in China, and is now in jeopardy.

Ok, then I get it. So, many people have been coming to Thailand on too low pensions, and are now risking their possibility to remain in the country, due to that they put all eggs in one basket. Is that right? And then you are telling me that retired expats are working. Aouch!!! That goes totally against the kind of visa they stay on. This is definitely no good.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The s#@t has definitely hit the fan. The latest announcement from China is a total ban on teaching online to anyone under 18. Some online schools have sent out emails to their teachers telling them this is the end.

Some are trying to keep it quiet. Some have not yet paid salaries that were due on 1st August. Obviously trying ti make a fast buck before closure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Some online schools have sent out emails to their teachers telling them this is the end.

Sucks. Def not good news for me. Those teachers are all flooding into my non-Chinese platform now. Just sat here the past hour I booked, which I used to get filled, for only one 15 minute student.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, Gottfrid said:

Ok, then I get it. So, many people have been coming to Thailand on too low pensions, and are now risking their possibility to remain in the country, due to that they put all eggs in one basket. Is that right? And then you are telling me that retired expats are working. Aouch!!! That goes totally against the kind of visa they stay on. This is definitely no good.

Some of us are just 51. And don't want to  touch our  pensions yet.  I also doubt that anybody with property investments in Thailand are making any returns. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, arick said:

Some of us are just 51. And don't want to  touch our  pensions yet.  I also doubt that anybody with property investments in Thailand are making any returns. 

Doesn´t matter how old your are when you relocate to another country. Just see to that you are financially secure. Otherwise, just stay home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

For me, I’m fully booked at present, I have a lot of other things on the go at the moment, so limited my day to 9 hours - I’m sure I could get 20+ lessons a day, every day but I can’t handle the monotony, and there is the worry that as the months go on the company could fold, I gather the Chinese Wall Street English declared bankruptcy or folded yesterday, the same could happen with any online company.

A lot of parents are either trying to run out their packages fearing the worst or in order to buy more before the deadline. Our company will continue to honour current purchases with western teachers until the lesson packages have expired.

It also looks like the schools will not go back on Sept 1st, kids who had f2f classes in holiday schools have all moved to online. I am looking at another month of lessons from 7.00 am.

I am looking forward to try something new. Chinese parents want consistency, I have worked from 3.00 pm - 8.30 and sometimes 9.00 pm for over 4 years now, 10 hours every weekend day, it’s time to take that money and retrain and invest.

However, I feel we are entering into an interesting time, the Chinese want their kids to succeed, they invest in their kids future so that it will return in their old age, some aren’t just going to roll over and accept the CCP legislation. I have a feeling they will look for ways around, I don’t know how this can work and the big issue is getting money out of China.

If we set up as independent operators , under the radar, the price per lesson may increase due to increased demand - due to fewer lessons, lesson planning and money “extraction” costs. Not all of these parents aren’t all middle income, the apartments I see are luxurious, I have given lessons with kids in Bentleys. I have a slight hunch that it’s not over yet, anyone else? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

@arick

When I see comments like this, I know this person has little comprehension of what we are doing or the money involved. I know young guys who have set themselves up for life over the past 4-6 years, for me at 52, I have bought a Rai of land, saved enough with my wife to build a modest house and already bought the furniture and kitchen fittings. All from sitting infront of a computer in the evenings. I have had a great run, never having to worry about eeking out my monthly allowance. Times have changed, I don’t see why I should work up to 65-70 and then retire in security, what’s wrong with living for the moment. 

Sure, sounds safe. I never said that you should wait. I am just 50 and have been living in TH over 10 years. Would never have done it without solid ground, though.

My comprehension is nothing wrong with. I understand perfectly that you have given your wife money for land and house, which means you have bought nothing and own nothing.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, sounds safe. I never said that you should wait. I am just 50 and have been living in TH over 10 years. Would never have done it without solid ground, though.

My comprehension is nothing wrong with. I understand perfectly that you have given your wife money for land and house, which means you have bought nothing and own nothing.

Lol - But you suggest we aren’t financially secure in your first post and now you state that I have given my money away. presumptuous, much?

I have no wish to argue with you but this is an ESL forum, the post discusses a pretty devastating event in China that has knock on effects for the whole industry, and it’s the same comments from about financial security from posters who I presume aren’t teachers or effected by this change. It gets a bit tiresome. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I gotta admit, the cockroach comment gave me a chuckle. I wouldn't equate them with insects, but have had my fair share of those who couldn't sit still, picking up their devices and running around the room with them, then banging around toys, their parents having left them with the good ol' electronic babysitter. I disagree with this line of parenting, as what those kids really need is more real life interaction at such a tender age.

On the other hand, I've been amazed by some of the conversations I've had with some six year olds, far more preferable than many I've had at farang bars. ????

I taught a few in CNX and had one ball up the homework paper and shove it down my pants....young boy....that was my cue to exit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

the Chinese want their kids to succeed, they invest in their kids future so that it will return in their old age, some aren’t just going to roll

I'm sure the kids will eventually be back in some manner. I mostly teach adults, and also believe there's a lot of growth to be seen in this area, from other Asian countries, the Middle East, and Brazil.

The time zones are quite strategic. We're nearly the same as Korea and Japan, from where the older, professional ladies are quite lovely. ❤ Last night I had a great Saudi Arabian, late in the evening for me, but for him he was leaving work and on his way to dinner. Early this morning I had a bunch of Brazilians, as it's late in the evening for them. Things seem to be picking up. Many said they were new students, and in the 2 hours I booked I got 3 x 30 minute sessions, 75% productivity, which is what it's about normally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Lol - But you suggest we aren’t financially secure in your first post and now you state that I have given my money away. presumptuous, much?

I have no wish to argue with you but this is an ESL forum, the post discusses a pretty devastating event in China that has knock on effects for the whole industry, and it’s the same comments from about financial security from posters who I presume aren’t teachers or effected by this change. It gets a bit tiresome. 

It´s no industry. How many of you online teachers do that trough a registered company? Must be a lot of companies to be able to create an industry. What we are talking about here is a lot of people working on the side and never disclose their side incomes. On top of that, it´s people that have taken the chance to live on such unsecure income in foreign countries. That, well aware of how quick things can change and the weak security the income has. Later there is complaints and talk about how much this will affect all that has taken this chance. Hilarious!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm sure the kids will eventually be back in some manner. I mostly teach adults, and also believe there's a lot of growth to be seen in this area, from other Asian countries, the Middle East, and Brazil.

The time zones are quite strategic. We're nearly the same as Korea and Japan, from where the older, professional ladies are quite lovely. ❤ Last night I had a great Saudi Arabian, late in the evening for me, but for him he was leaving work and on his way to dinner. Early this morning I had a bunch of Brazilians, as it's late in the evening for them. Things seem to be picking up. Many said they were new students, and in the 2 hours I booked I got 3 x 30 minute sessions, 75% productivity, which is what it's about normally.

I just don't see the money and incentive outside China, our platform is trying to attract Thai, Vietnamese, Malays and Indonesian students (kids). Are there going to be enough willing to pay over 500TBH per 25 min class (I imagine this is what the price will be after a recent salary drop and their % markup) Its also unsure if they are going to push fillipina teachers into these slots, because they are really paid peanuts.

I admire your dedication, I used to do Chinese adults from 6.00 am until 10.00 pm at night, conversation practice to IELTS prep, I'm grateful that the company have always kept me really busy, but after doing kids, its not enough - If they do attract SE Asian students, then teachers need to have their schedules filled, don't get me wrong, I love the last minute cancellations or the times approaching the school exams when bookings are slow, but I am not going to sit around the whole night for 3-4 classes. I think following a little retraining and using transferrable skills I can make more in another industry than pushing on with teaching.

I won't be giving up just yet, like I say I can see a void that needs to be filled, but I'm unsure how it will work and more importantly how to get paid - There are a couple of platforms that look promising, is it afterschool and another one that I forget the name of where you create a syllabus and upload courseware, I saw some teachers are teaching lego, I wouldn't mind teaching scratch programming or some basic robotics for fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I am gay. And have several properties. And the only land I have is mine until I die. Food luck with you wife. 

• Like 2

I guess thats what happens when your British and you vote Brexist. Wait the great positives of the Brexiteers will come soon and we will all be rich.

Working for a  foreign company has nothing to do with a retirement visa. 

I would like to know how none married under 50s non teachers teaching online stay in Thailand 

• Like 1

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!

• Thanks 1