Are you proud of the Olympic contenders of "your" country?

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Has been for years.  They get paid the basketball teams for example are pros that is why the USA won all players from the NBA.

I wish they would go back to only amateurs but will never happen.

Never happen, yes, the ideal of Pierre de Coubertin is very far, we are in 2021 , context is very different , money has changed everything

amateur ? no, many countries give money for the medals, for instance Spain gives 94000 euros for a gold medal, USA 37500 dollars, GB nothing ; Italy gives the biggest money but I don't remember how much : to be a winner , you can't have a "normal job" and train one-two hours a day after your work ; there were amateurs, but this time is finished long time ago 

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The original Olympics had athletes competing as individuals and not under a flag, and that's the way I believe it should be now. Even in team sports - like they do in tennis doubles throughout the year, featuring players from different countries playing together.

In my view, nationalism has no positives and plenty of negatives. What did John Lennon write? "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too."

And I find it amusing to see how enthusiastic people get about watching a sport they had never even heard of outside of the Games.

It has been interesting though to note how well accepted sports new to the Games have been, such as skateboarding. If anything raises and spreads interest in the event, then fine by me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When did that happen?

Just a couple of days I explained to my gf that no professionals are allowed at the Olympics, only amateurs. Did I tell her something wrong? 

Don't have any recollection of "the dream team" at all? US men's basketball with all the best NBA players? Since then lol. Best part of 3 decades so I can understand your apathy concerning the Olympics if you weren't aware professionals can compete lmfao.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When did that happen?

Just a couple of days I explained to my gf that no professionals are allowed at the Olympics, only amateurs. Did I tell her something wrong? 

Oh dear, Had you just used our friend google this would have popped up "Today, professional athletes are allowed to compete in the Olympic Games alongside their amateur counterparts."

Had you done some research you'd know that professionals have been allowed since 1988 olympics.

Torvill and Dean competed in 1994 despite having become professional after the 1984 olympics.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, Had you just used our friend google this would have popped up "Today, professional athletes are allowed to compete in the Olympic Games alongside their amateur counterparts."

Had you done some research you'd know that professionals have been allowed since 1988 olympics.

Torvill and Dean competed in 1994 despite having become professional after the 1984 olympics.

Yeah, if I would have cared then I could have googled it.

But if I would care then I probably would have learned it sometime in the last 30 years or so.

And who are Torvill and Dean? Let me guess, I could google it. ???? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The original Olympics had athletes competing as individuals and not under a flag, and that's the way I believe it should be now. Even in team sports - like they do in tennis doubles throughout the year, featuring players from different countries playing together.

In my view, nationalism has no positives and plenty of negatives. What did John Lennon write? "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too."

And I find it amusing to see how enthusiastic people get about watching a sport they had never even heard of outside of the Games.

It has been interesting though to note how well accepted sports new to the Games have been, such as skateboarding. If anything raises and spreads interest in the event, then fine by me.

How would that even work for team events ? who would decide the team members for the Hockey, Football etc ?

I thought the Olympics was a great success considering the current climate and there were some great moments from all sports, it also provided great viewing pleasure when stuck at home.

What do you mean by "..your country". Thailand is my home therefore Thailand is my country. I was born in Sri Lanka when it was a British colony. My parents were Anglo Irish having lived in Sri Lanka for three generations I went to the UK during the war and went to school there. I left immediately after I finish school when I was 17 and went back to Sri Lankaand have had no connection with the UK since then and my parents moved to Portugal.. I left Sri Lanka due to political turmoil and came to Thailand where I spent most of my time since. It annoys me when people asked me where are you from all which is your country and when people talk about home have to wonder why they live here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

How would that even work for team events ?

The same as it works in tennis, People choose their partner(s). Not that difficult. They chat among themselves at different venues often while competing as individuals, or their associations can circulate lists of people looking for partners

At least the form of nationalism attached to the Olympics is benign.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

I think if you DID care about the Olympics, you would understand why Countries have feelings of pride and why their citizens have those feelings too.

Most of the enjoyment I get from all of this is the actual competition and watching skill and strength and speed. Win or lose, I am very happy.

For me, the Olympics is that time when I shout for the athletes of my Country. I want them to win but I am only momentarily disappointed when they lose. I am proud of all of them knowing well the sacrifices they and their families go through for years.

The medals achieved are something to have bragging rights about but not necessarily to actually shout about them from the rooftops.

Feelings of pride for most people not closely affected in these situations, are strong at the time but they subside and they just remain memories.

This kind of pride is not vanity.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

When did that happen?

Yes you did, since 1988 when the US college team lost to Russia the rules were changed so that NBA players could play in the Olympics. That was because a lot of countries pay their athletes to train and support them financialy.

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

I am proud of all of them knowing well the sacrifices they and their families go through for years.

Then why do they do it?

It's not that they are out in a war to defend their country.

They could sit at home and have a cup of tea and be happy - without any sacrifices. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Then why do they do it?

It's not that they are out in a war to defend their country.

They could sit at home and have a cup of tea and be happy - without any sacrifices. 

They are following their passion.

Sacrifices are what most people have to endure and accept, in order to reach levels of excellence. Has that not ever happened to you?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

They are following their passion.

Sacrifices are what most people have to endure and accept, in order to reach levels of excellence. Has that not ever happened to you?

No actually it never happend to me.

I.e. I like playing pool, and I am not too bad at it. But obviously there are lots of other people who are a lot better than I am.

Sometime when I try a difficult shot in a game and miss it one or the other guy tells me something like: You have to train that shot again and again and then you will be able to make it.

And my response is something like: No, I don't have to do that and I don't want to do that. I play pool for fun. And if I would have to train for hours to get better what would be the point of that? Yes, I would be better, but it wouldn't be fun anymore. So why should I do it? To be a miserable champion who is a perfect player but who doesn't have fun doing that? No, that is certainly not my intention.

And basically that is the same with work or whatever. I am good at a some things and I like to do those things. And I know it would be a lot of work to get better. Maybe if I have a good motivation I will do that. But in many cases I won't because it would be a lot of work for something I don't really care about.

Or maybe to say it in another way: If I play pool in a pub I am happy to be in the group of the better players. But I don't care if I am the best of them. "One of the good" is good enough for me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

No actually it never happend to me.

I.e. I like playing pool, and I am not too bad at it. But obviously there are lots of other people who are a lot better than I am.

Sometime when I try a difficult shot in a game and miss it one or the other guy tells me something like: You have to train that shot again and again and then you will be able to make it.

And my response is something like: No, I don't have to do that and I don't want to do that. I play pool for fun. And if I would have to train for hours to get better what would be the point of that? Yes, I would be better, but it wouldn't be fun anymore. So why should I do it? To be a miserable champion who is a perfect player but who doesn't have fun doing that? No, that is certainly not my intention.

And basically that is the same with work or whatever. I am good at a some things and I like to do those things. And I know it would be a lot of work to get better. Maybe if I have a good motivation I will do that. But in many cases I won't because it would be a lot of work for something I don't really care about.

Or maybe to say it in another way: If I play pool in a pub I am happy to be in the group of the better players. But I don't care if I am the best of them. "One of the good" is good enough for me.

An interesting reply. If you only do things for fun and have little wish to improve, then, sure, go ahead with it in that way.

But me and Olympians have fun and recognise that training and perfecting one's skills is required as well. We shouldn't denigrate those who choose to pursue ambition!

In my life, I have been a singer, a serious runner, a cyclist, a snooker player with my own full size table, a winemaker and a businessman. My philosophy with all of these was, I want to learn, improve and feel some level of achievement consistent with my ability.

I am passionate (not obsessive) about anything that is worthwhile.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:27 PM, Boarn said:

Not proud at all, as a 'Nationless Patriot' I can't be proud of the UK in its current format. Love when the UK/England loses, Olympics is nothing but a waste of money.

It's sad that you want your country to lose. Cheer up, and try to look on the bright side. I'm sure your country is no worse than most.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nice one, Barry

One can talk of the old and even older days but, human behaviour has shown us they will never be able to "live as one" (John Lennon)

In today's world, one without borders, any ideas how that might work?

I admire so much those profound words of John Lennon but unfortunately, they are only for those who can "Imagine"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

An interesting reply. If you only do things for fun and have little wish to improve, then, sure, go ahead with it in that way.

I improve, and it's fun to learn new skills and improve others. But often there is a point were it would be necessary to work a lot more for just a little progress, and then the question is obviously: is it worth it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The same as it works in tennis, People choose their partner(s). Not that difficult. They chat among themselves at different venues often while competing as individuals, or their associations can circulate lists of people looking for partners

At least the form of nationalism attached to the Olympics is benign.

how bizarre, again how would it work when the team in question requires 11 members ?

Regarding nationalism, not sure the Olympics can be accused of that, it's just a great global event where athletes at the top of their field compete against each other, luckily their chosen country picks up their travel bills.

In fact all global events are the same be it world cup football, cricket, rugby or whatever, each team competes under their countries flag to their best of their ability.

Unfortunately in some countries a minority of fans choose to make it something different.

If you believe a sporting world where its just about individuals in my opinion means you just don't understand sport or have never played it.

12 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

If you believe a sporting world where its just about individuals in my opinion means you just don't understand sport or have never played it.

I've been a sports journalist for 40+  years and have co-written a book, so I do know a little about sport and competition. But thanks for your comments.

34 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I admit I know nothing about the sporting world.

But I think I know this part: There are the people who do the running, jumping, playing, whatever.

And there are the people who watch, mostly on TV.

I understand the people who i.e. run. My sister does a lot of that and she likes it. That's why she does it.

But if people sit at home with a beer and some chips and shout "run faster" and complain that a fast runner was "only" very fast but not the fastest in the world, now I have difficulties understanding that concept.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

apparently those who can do, those who cant..write about it.

Very often that's the case, although quite a number graduate to the media when they retire, so do both. Spending so long as a journalist does give one a very good insight into both the competitors and everything that surrounds them, so it isn't necessary to be able to compete with them as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Very often that's the case, although quite a number graduate to the media when they retire, so do both. Spending so long as a journalist does give one a very good insight into both the competitors and everything that surrounds them, so it isn't necessary to be able to compete with them as well.

fair reply, however you still haven't really explained why you think an Olympics based purely on individuals competing would be better than the current status quo.. nor how it would work in respect of team competitions.

Not that you have to mind...