Thai Health Authorities Speed up COVID-19 Vaccination of Target Groups

snoop1130

376e41323a1498644695b223c7264d60_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is speeding up its COVID-19 vaccination drive for target groups, especially senior citizens, to reduce the death rate.

Department of Disease Control (DDC) deputy director-general Dr Sophon Iamsirsithavorn said the department wants to vaccinate 70% of the elderly population in the “red dark” zones and 50% elsewhere, to cut the number of deaths by half. According to the Mor Prom app, fewer than 50%, or only 3.668 million seniors nationwide have received the vaccine.

He said an aggressive vaccination campaign for the elderly is ongoing, with 20.28 million doses administered, adding that there is clear evidence that vaccination can reduce death and serious illness among seniors.

Dr Sophon pointed out that even one dose of AstraZeneca vaccine could prevent loss of life. The DDC would like to invite all senior citizens to get the vaccine as soon as possible, to reduce their chances of dying if infected.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, nausea said:

I personally think the death rate (for obvious reasons) and cases requiring hospitalisation (because of medical services being overwhelmed) are the key figures here, not overall infection rates, as many are asymptiomatic or have mild symptoms.

I'd feel better about that, were it not for the fact that the number of critical condition COVID patients nationwide set a new record high again on Monday, with 5,218 critical cases and the third consecutive day above 5,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So noone on this thread has heard of [email protected]?

So far 43000 expats registered, in ALL provinces across Thailand. Appointments for 1st jab (probably Pfizer) expected this week or next.

You can guarantee that is going to happen? They seem to be giving out an awful lot of Pfizer.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

You can guarantee that is going to happen? They seem to be giving out an awful lot of Pfizer.

All reports say they have enough ex-US for 2 jabs each.

Obviously in Thailand anything can happen, or nothing. But so far on this one all signs are good, even website & emails in good English.

No point being defeated before you even start.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

All reports say they have enough ex-US for 2 jabs each.

Obviously in Thailand anything can happen, or nothing. But so far on this one all signs are good, even website & emails in good English.

No point being defeated before you even start.

It's just how some folks roll. Strange how so many read this forum?

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd feel better about that, were it not for the fact that the number of critical condition COVID patients nationwide set a new record high again on Monday, with 5,218 critical cases and the third consecutive day above 5,000.

Looking at the trends across Critical / ICU / Deaths, sadly, you can clearly see that ICU has maxed out & Ave Daily Deaths have increased significantly (7 Day Ave of 100 on 24th to 169 9th Aug). If the ICU capacity was greater, the numbers in Critical / ICU would be higher and Ave Daily Deaths would not have increased by c. 70% in just over 2 weeks. ICU capacity is only created through new Deaths and then quickly filled up again.

How many non Covid ICU Deaths are there because of this lack of capacity? This will be having an impact on Excess Deaths.

30 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Far from the truth. If you are 60+ or have one of seven underlying conditions you get two jabs of Pfiver consider the best. I applied thru Expat 9 days ago, got confirmation yesterday with two follow up emails. Headed to MedPark Friday to get jabbed at 1:30 pm. Why do you just make things up with no knowledge. Had you applied, been under the guidlines, you would be approved. FACT

i have already signed up for that which has not commenced yet for me so I am fully aware 

The reply was to the previous poster 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

So far 43000 expats registered, in ALL provinces across Thailand. Appointments for 1st jab (probably Pfizer) expected this week or next.

Something is not right here. I have 2 of the diseases. My 1st AZ dose was on the 7th June (first in line). My 2nd appt. is 28th September (16 weeks interval) I'm not allowed to sign up on [email protected] as I'm already in the Mor Phrom system. So 43,000 expats will have had 2 Pfizer doses before my 2nd dose of AZ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

I applied but I don't hold much hope of getting anything

I have applied through soooo many schemes

But at least Dumb and Dumber have (finally) worked out that vaccinating the old and sick might reduce deaths - instead of vaccinating young and healthy in Phuket.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Something is not right here. I have 2 of the diseases. My 1st AZ dose was on the 7th June (first in line). My 2nd appt. is 28th September (16 weeks interval) I'm not allowed to sign up on [email protected] as I'm already in the Mor Phrom system. So 43,000 expats will have had 2 Pfizer doses before my 2nd dose of AZ?

I too had an appointment for the AZ on 7 June but decided not to get it due to all the noise about blood clots and deaths. 

Not long after I booked and paid for Moderna for October and on 1 August registered on expatvac and as I am over 60 with one of the underlying conditions, I am hopeful of getting the Pfizer jab suffice to say in hindsight it might be an omen and if I do, I will ask for the Moderna shot to be put back to next year as a booster when I know when my 2nd jab of the Pfizer will be due.

With regard to AZ, I hear it is pretty good, even better when you get your 2nd jab, and as I had a clot back in 2008, didn't want to go down that path again as it almost cost me my life, not saying that it could happen again, but when there's talk about clots, I will take the exit thanks.

Fingers crossed it all comes good and we can all move forward, I am even looking into the future, i.e. as mentioned with Moderna as being the booster as I have paid for it, suggest you look at something as well, even if you have to pay for it, because this experience has just been a total fark up IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

You choose to jump on the AZ. You have been covered for 2 months. Others like myself preferred to wait for Pfizer. You made a choice so.............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

46000 (now) have registered on the expatvac address and we are expecting to receive our appointments this week for our FIRST Pfizer jab in our various provinces (ordered according to age and state of health).

And in the meantime, the government as of yesterday has already doled out more than 56,000 doses of the U.S. donated Pfizer vaccines, and less than one-third of those have been third-shot booster shots for medical personnel.

I don't think there's been any public accounting of how many of those Pfizer doses given thus far have been to foreign nationals, but I'd bet the number, if any, is exceedingly small.  Hopefully that will begin to change in the days ahead.

525876626_2021-08-09VaccinationsUpdatebyBrand2.jpg.93b2dfc881d7d360123bc1fd433b3522.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/382956373322693/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

46000 (now) have registered on the expatvac address and we are expecting to receive our appointments this week for our FIRST Pfizer jab in our various provinces (ordered according to age and state of health). And we will, at that appointment, receive our appointment for the 2nd Pfizer jab to follow.

Whether that 2nd Pfizer precedes or follows your 2nd AZ is hardly relevant to anything. The gap between 1st & 2nd jabs has an ideal/recommended timescale which varies according to the vaccine and medical experience and, of course, non-ideally according to availability of vaccines.

The gap for AZ moved from 8 to 12 to 16 weeks. There is a high probability that the govt will delay 2nd dose Pfizer vaccines until the next shipment arrives.

1 hour ago, jazzdog32095 said:

You choose to jump on the AZ. You have been covered for 2 months. Others like myself preferred to wait for Pfizer. You made a choice so.............

from Richard Barrow.....

Important information for those people who registered on the MFA website https://expatvac.consular.go.th I’m told that some people have already received appointments. However, when they turned up, they were offered AstraZeneca and not Pfizer. There was no mention of this in the email.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaLa said:

So they can pocket our 800k's.   On a serious note though quite a number of my expat friends (outside Bangkok) have received 1st doses. Slow and chaotic , but at least the process has started.

Good for them.

I was drawn in by a registration form from the biggest hospital in town, thinking and relieved I would be jabbed next week, when they gave me an appointment. Now I learn that the registration was by invitation only, the link to the form having been supplied to a select few by SMS. Those going directly will be turned away I believe. Back to checking the spam folder.