Using 3 face-mask at the time?

Tarteso

Beautiful landscape photos from my house with the hell of the smoke that is breathed these days in northern Chiang Mai. 

I don't know if there is any law that prevents farmers from burning their land in August. I know that in Smog sessions is hell to breathe 7/24 hours a day, but from a few days ago, when rain stop,  I can see they burns even in rainy sessions. My Neighbors loves the lighters, I have suggested many times that they must stop sending smoke signals to my house, but it is clearly dangerous to report it because the police themselves are from their fiery lands.  I only managed to convince my mother-in-law to stop burning even the garbage. My advice is that if you visit the towns in the north of the city, wear a triple face mask, one for the risks of contagious, another one for the killer pollution and the last one…and the most important; (According with the Government advice)...Don't take it off if you're making love ...

C547406D-BD92-421B-859B-5286E01D81C9.jpeg

506F6DFD-94A0-47D9-95D3-834230CCB075.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I would certainly recommend you KN95 instead, or if you can afford it, LG's respirator with HEPA filter. However, KN95 should be sufficient in blocking out a vast majority of smog without choking you. Some people believe KN95 is cheap version of N95 but in reality KN95 must pass all the same certifications and tests as N95 with additional requirement of proving it provides a seal on your face, which N95 is not required to do. These masks are cheap, you can buy them individually packed in 20 packs between 50 and 100 baht per pack. Surely it will be easier to breathe through one of these masks than 3 layers of masks which will do nothing to filter air, as none of them is capable of filtering out such small particles.

Not recommending seller, just showing how mask looks like (this was random result of search on Lazada):

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kn95-i2422305015-s8348048266.html?

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

It's lumyai season.  Mango too.  After they harvest they prune the trees and then it's bonfire time.  The good thing at this time of year is there is no inversion layer.  The seasonal monsoon winds keep the air pretty mixed.  A lot different then the corn and sugar cane they tend to burn during the hot season when there are inversions layers that trap the smoke - you know the rest of the story if you lived here longer than a year.  ????  PM200+ and official most dangerous air in the world ratings.

I Agree, I have my own plantation of lamyai and mangoes for my own consumption, there are a couple of weeks left for the fruit to finish ripening.  I also have pulmonary emphysema after 10 years of residence in CM, which forces me to live on the coast during the smog season.  At home I use air conditioning with epa filters and air purifiers, but it seems that it is not enough.  We will have to live with it ...

• Sad 2

You lived nowhere on earth that could have contributed to your emphysema ?

Find it hard to believe that Chiang Mai is the only reason.

Got a good friend in line for a lung transplant - he never lived anywhere smoky ... but there you go

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You lived nowhere on earth that could have contributed to your emphysema ?

Find it hard to believe that Chiang Mai is the only reason.

Got a good friend in line for a lung transplant - he never lived anywhere smoky ... but there you go

Sure! I was been living in a few countries and also was a smoker until 2010. But 10 years living here for sure has contributed..According to a recent study by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), long-term exposure to airborne irritants due to rising levels of air pollution is a major cause of increased cases of Emphysema.

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Sure! I was been living in a few countries and also was a smoker until 2010. But 10 years living here for sure has contributed..According to a recent study by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), long-term exposure to airborne irritants due to rising levels of air pollution is a major cause of increased cases of Emphysema.

Thanks for the clarification.

Did not know if you were laying the blame on CNX alone.

Terrible disease.

I have no proof, but I am willing to bet that the burgeoning use of plastics after WWII will be shown in years to come to be a major source.

The off gassing of these products, which then enter your lungs at every breath you take.

Along with adhesives used in about everything - like plywood, particle board, MDF, etc.

As well as leaching into any liquid they come in contact with, be it cleaning solutions or even water.

• Like 1

Lovely girl but why would you want to live inland.  I do like to be beside the seaside, beside the sea.

After all I read about Chiang Mai the maximum time I want to visit there is  3/4 days every year.  Sell up quick, cheap, take what you can,  and head South before your chest caves in!

6 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Lovely girl but why would you want to live inland.  I do like to be beside the seaside, beside the sea.

After all I read about Chiang Mai the maximum time I want to visit there is  3/4 days every year.  Sell up quick, cheap, take what you can,  and head South before your chest caves in!

Wife, family, farm and house…here ????

At least I can afford to rent something on the coast 2-3 months every year to escape from smog season.????

Edited by Tarteso