DIN Power Outlets

doctormann

I'm looking for 2-pin DIN power outlets. like these:

20210811_135715.jpg.548d30726e4107361caadd7346a0b100.jpg

Lazada only seems to have the rail-mounted type whereas mine are the clip-in type, common to outlets and switches here.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?  I really don't want to go into town at the moment so I'm looking for an online source.  Any suggestions?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

NO EARTH?

Nope, not in my house and not in most of the older properties here.  I believe that new builds are supposed to have an earth.  We do have a Safe-T-Cut though.

I am just looking to replace a couple of sockets that are the worse for wear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Nope, not in my house and not in most of the older properties here.  I believe that new builds are supposed to have an earth.  We do have a Safe-T-Cut though.

I am just looking to replace a couple of sockets that are the worse for wear.

Does a Safe T Cut not need an Earth to work properly. Crossy will no doubt put me right.

No on second thoughts, as long as the neutral is well earthed you should be OK.

Edited by KannikaP

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does a Safe T Cut not need an Earth to work properly. Crossy will no doubt put me right.

No on second thoughts, as long as the neutral is well earthed you should be OK.

A Safe-T-Cut works by detecting an imbalance between the live and neutral wires.  No earth required, unlike an earth leakage detector, which does need one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doctormann said:

A Safe-T-Cut works by detecting an imbalance between the live and neutral wires.  No earth required, unlike an earth leakage detector, which does need one.

Isn't the neutral connected to earth at every third pole?

2 minutes ago, doctormann said:

No idea - Crossy will know.

Just been outside and checked, and yes they are, in my street anyway.

Whoooa, need a sit down and a cuppa after all that exercise!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

Lazada only seems to have the rail-mounted type whereas mine are the clip-in type, common to outlets and switches here.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?  I really don't want to go into town at the moment so I'm looking for an online source.  Any suggestions?

They are easily found ฿30 each, you may need a cover plate ฿17 each or 99 Baht for 3 including cover plate and probably back planeEB6B7663-FFB3-45CC-9A20-E69C42527306.thumb.png.41c1091f19c0610c94c37a49192442e2.png

7691FE48-499E-4D01-A21F-AE8FDB9B6497.thumb.jpeg.fb68c7c09e40697354f7e7e3d7401f0c.jpeg14CEEFD0-804C-44CC-B60C-7218A4B0136E.thumb.png.cfb7e741d72fedae99db75c501ef5749.png

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, doctormann said:

I'm looking for 2-pin DIN power outlets

You can buy it in any hardware shop in villages, besides the large ones as GH, TW, HomePro, etc. 

However, even if you do not want to connect a separate ground wire, you should better use the 3 -pin outlets as many electrical appliances have nowadays 3 pin plug (notebook chargers, etc). It will spare you the job how to nip off the 3rd pin.  

1 minute ago, Saanim said:

You can buy it in any hardware shop in villages, besides the large ones as GH, TW, HomePro, etc. 

Did you miss!!!

On 8/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, doctormann said:

I really don't want to go into town at the moment so I'm looking for an online source. 

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

It will spare you the job how to nip off the 3rd pin.  

And this is incredibly bad advice!!

Is it really your advice to operate a Class-1 appliance with no earth/ground? Please explain your logic. You may use technical language and please consider the term "functional earth/ground".

I'd have preferred to simply rid Thailand (240V) of the american 110v design patterned plug 3pin sockets in toto...    it leaves too much potential for damage etc if a 110v generic device is unwittingly plugged in... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tifino said:

I'd have preferred to simply rid Thailand (240V) of the american 110v design patterned plug 3pin sockets in toto...    it leaves too much potential for damage etc if a 110v generic device is unwittingly plugged in... 

There is actually a Thai standard plug TIS 166-2549 looks like this

TIS166-2549_plug.jpg

It fits in the regular 3-pin outlets which accept round L&N pins.

Of course there's such a massive installed base of other types that it will take many years before they vanish (probably never in reality).

I've never seen a TIS166-2549 specific outlet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

And this is incredibly bad advice!!

Is it really your advice to operate a Class-1 appliance with no earth/ground? Please explain your logic. You may use technical language and please consider the term "functional earth/ground".

You misunderstood my advice - what was actually meant with a humorous context. It's not my idea to install 2 pin outlets that do not possess an earth connection.  But if somebody will do so, perhaps he thinks that he will use these outlets only for appliances that do not have - and do need - an earth connection. However, it might  happen that such appliance - not needing earth connection - is equipped with a 3-pin plug.  So simple it is.

BTW, do you need earth connection to notebook charger? Just curious...     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saanim said:

You misunderstood my advice - what was actually meant with a humorous context. 

I thought that might be the case, but in the absense of any emojis or the like to suggest otherwise had to take it at face value. Others may be along in future and think it's ok.

I actually had a worker snap the earth pin off a brand new water pump even though the outlet was 3-pin. Seems it was force of habit, I wanted to remove him from the site permanently but Madam saw sense and told me to put a new plug on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saanim said:

BTW, do you need earth connection to notebook charger? Just curious...     

Now this one is interesting.

The simple rule in Thailand is "if it has a 3-pin plug then it needs an earth", manufacturers don't shell for 3 core cable and an extra plug pin for no reason. Sadly the opposite isn't always true.

Laptop power supplies are generally all plastic and have the output well isolated from the input and so don't need a "safety" earth. But, all switching power supplies have a mains inlet filter some of which need a "functional" earth to make them effective (and meet EMC regulations), hence the 3rd pin. By the way, the inlet filter is to stop electrical noise coming out of the power supply and into the environment rather than the other way round.

In the past I did have an old Dell lappie for which I had two "identical" power supplies, one would bite when it had no earth, the other wouldn't.

It's that mains inlet filter which causes some desktop PCs (metal casework) to tingle when run without an earth.

• Like 2

How to connect a notebook charger in Thai hotels?

Whenever you travel in Thailand, most of the hotel rooms have just 2 pin power outlets. So, how to connect the notebook charger?  All of them are always sold with 3 pin plug. 

To foresee this problem it's good to carry with you an extension power plug with 2-pin feeding plug. There are plenty available in any shop around, with a number of 3 pin power outlets. The problem solved, the notebook charger (and any other appliance with 3 pin plug) can be plugged in, everybody happy. However, the 3rd earth slot is not connected, who  cares?     

Then, if somebody was not so foreseeing to carry with him such clever adapting combination, has no other choice than to nip off the earthing pin at his notebook charge. The problem solved...  

39 minutes ago, Saanim said:

How to connect a notebook charger in Thai hotels?

Ask the hotel for an adaptor ????

Or get one at the airport or a local hardware store :whistling:

As noted above running your lappie without an earth is unlikely to cause a safety issue, but earths are not necessarily safety only.

Of course it's entirely up to you what you do with your property. But advising ripping off earth pins will not be tolerated on this forum.

Also, what if your "any other appliance" is a true Class-1 device? It will work just fine with no earth, until it doesn't and you die. As always Up2U.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Of course it's entirely up to you what you do with your property. But advising ripping off earth pins will not be tolerated on this forum.

The ripping off the earth pin at the notebook charger cannot make any harm since that cable can be inserted into that very charger only, into the specially formed slot.

Unlike the more "aesthetic" way with the extension outlet with 2-pin incomer and number of 3-pin outlets, however, the 3rd pin not earthed.  Hence anybody can insert any appliance that needs an earth protection, but does not have and he does not know.

BTW, many appliances bought in Thailand are sold with 2-pin plug, even if they need the earthing. 

Recently, I was looking for electric lawn mower, all brands I had seen were with 2-pin plug and of course with 2-core cable. Nevertheless, I bought one and exchanged the cable for 3-core with 3-pin plug, connecting the 3rd core to the steel construction.

4 minutes ago, Saanim said:

The ripping off the earth pin at the notebook charger cannot make any harm since that cable can be inserted into that very charger only, into the specially formed slot.

I give up.

OK it works like this. Any further suggestions that it's OK to remove the earth pin will result in a posting holiday.

• Thanks 1