medicine prices in thailand? (are different pharmacies cheaper)?

dj230

9 hours ago, it is what it is said:

there's a medium sized pharmacy near thewet market, reasonable/cheap prices and very helpful staff, i always go there for my medication

helpful but only if you state where in Thailand you live

I've been living in Thailand for 20 years and one of the first things I learn't was give hospital pharmacies a big miss. Here's a few examples. My monthly BP meds cost 700 baht in the smaller pharmacies around Pattaya, Fascino is about 100 baht less. In outer Bangkok where my house is 350 baht, I bought a monthly supply in the country about one hour ago for202 baht. Nearly 20 years ago a Bangkok hospital pharmacy charged me 900 baht and another 850. If you're ever in the country check the prices and stock up in advance. Cheers.

What the people are saying is true. I agree from experience, however the first time with new medication i take some from the hospital doctor and pay their price.
However certain controlled drugs like psychotropics cannot be bought at a pharmacy. 
Assuming that you are in Bangkok.
You can try Southeast Pharmacy on Sukhumvit road near Soi 15. Look up and telephone to ask if they have what you specifically want and the brand. 
They have most things. usually you can get the authentic imported brand, but they also have some generic copies.

I have used them a very long time. Very good prices.
When I have been there, I often see foreigners with shopping lists.
Presume that they must be buying for friends or family. I trust they are not selling on for profit.

O

10 hours ago, dj230 said:

Just wondering, can I actually have prescription meds shipped in? Maybe I can just order from a Canadian pharmacy and use my handy Canadian government healthcare

It is technically illegal to import medication by mail without a special FDA license. In practice customs usually lets small amounts through (emphasis on small) if sent by regular post. Never by courier. And never try this with a controlled substance.

Local generics are so cheap that will often cost less than the postage will, however. So makes sense to try to get by mail only if it is something unavailable in Thailand or available only as costly import.

What medications are you on?And where in Thailand do you live?

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is technically illegal to import medication by mail without a special FDA license. In practice customs usually lets small amounts through (emphasis on small) if sent by regular post. Never by courier. And never try this with a controlled substance.

Local generics are so cheap that will often cost less than the postage will, however. So makes sense to try to get by mail only if it is something unavailable in Thailand or available only as costly import.

What medications are you on?And where in Thailand do you live?

It's not a controlled substance, it's androgel and Im in bangkok

It's a unique medication so it's pretty pricey

I remember being able to order pharmaceutical medication from different countries in Canada as long as the prescription was inside the package, I may try that.

Edited by dj230

4 minutes ago, dj230 said:

It's not a controlled substance, it's androgel and Im in bangkok

It's a unique medication so it's pretty pricey

I remember being able to order pharmaceutical medication from different countries in Canada as long as the prescription was inside the package, I may try that.

Having prescription in the package makes no difference here. This medication does not require a prescription in Thailand and anyhow prescribed or not, still not legal to import without an FDA license which you cannot get.

Odds are that if SMALL quantity (i.e. 1 or at most 2 tubes)  is sent by regular post it will get through but no guarantee. If sent by courier for sure it will not get through customs. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Having prescription in the package makes no difference here. This medication does not require a prescription in Thailand and anyhow prescribed or not, still not legal to import without an FDA license which you cannot get.

Odds are that if SMALL quantity (i.e. 1 or at most 2 tubes)  is sent by regular post it will get through but no guarantee. If sent by courier for sure it will not get through customs. 

interesting, thanks for the heads up

28 minutes ago, dj230 said:

So just to update, I went to boots pharmacy today, they have androgel (the medicine I got at the hospital), you don't require a prescription but the price was the same as the hospital

Not surprising from Boots. Not the place to go for the best prices. Try elsewhere. I would be shocked if Fascino isn't cheaper if they have it. Also P & F. 

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Bangkok Drugstore online have it for 2,500 baht per 30 packs of 50mg and are a reliable mail order source for drugs.  Expect most drug stores will be in that general price range.

https://bangkokdrugstore.com/product/androgel-50-mg-testosterone-30-sachets-2/

thats the price on shopee, was a bit cheaper than 5000 baht a box at boots, same as the hospital 

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit off topic. 

Three common drugs.

1. Atorvastatin Sandoz 40mg.

2. Warfarin 5mg

3. Hartsorb 10mg.

If anyone can advise on approx price at random pharmacy, that would be appreciated. 

Thankyou.

1. Atorvastatin Sandoz is a brand name import and will be very costly. Less expensive  locally made  generic equivalents are:

• Atorvin
  • Chlovas
  • Lipostat
  • Tovastin

2. Warfarin is quite inexpensive, local brands are:

• Orfarin
  • Marfarin
  • Morfarin

3. Hartsorb is a locally made brand of isosorbide dinitrate and will not be expensive. Other local brands include:

• Corodil
  • Isobinate
  • Isotrate

I can't give you an exact amount as I never have occasion to buy these, but as long as you avoid imports, medications here are usually affordable.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I can't give you an exact amount as I never have occasion to buy these, but as long as you avoid imports, medications here are usually affordable.

Your a legend Sheryl. Did not expect that level of detail. Thank you! 

• Like 1

expect to pay 2, 3 or even 4 times the normal price if buying from a private hospital. The last time I got my bill, 1200 baht was for two medicines. Luckily the bill itemized the medicines so I took a photo and then handed it back to the staff and said I would leave the medicine. I went to my local pharmacy and paid just less 400 Baht for the exact same medicine.

Other private hospitals have cottoned on to this practice and so will not itemize the medicine so you may have to buy from them.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:15 AM, dj230 said:

was wondering are prices cheaper at different pharmacies in thailand

I shopped around for a while to find the cheapest priced meds for me, using the same brand I have always taken from abroad.

No prescriptions required, ordered on LINE, transfer of funds to their account and delivered within 48 hours to my front door by courier.

The pharmacy is about a 5 hour drive from me and I have ordered twice from them, 6 months supply at a time x 2 different meds, so 12 packets, delivery is like 35 baht.

If you or anyone else wants to their details PM me and I will forward you their phone and email contact details, I joined them on LINE and text them in English and they reply, all very easy, albeit it I get the wife to transfer the funds for me, take a snapshot of the transfer and send it to me on LINE and then I forward that to them ????

On 8/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, scubascuba3 said:

At the hospital cashier\pharmacy say you don't want to buy the meds, they will look at you in surprise like no one has ever said that. In the past I've asked the doctor which meds he's smuggling on my bill, to be honest they should tell you and explain before you leave the room but they don't, so I feel no guilt getting them removed

Smart.

Our kids may have a cough and they prescribe Sara, easily available at 7/11 for 60 baht.  The hospital charges 210 baht.

Paracetamol same thing.

Honestly sometimes don't care.  I just want to get home. 

A descent hospital is a 300 kilometer round trip for us.  Exhausting with two kids.

10 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

expect to pay 2, 3 or even 4 times the normal price if buying from a private hospital. The last time I got my bill, 1200 baht was for two medicines. Luckily the bill itemized the medicines so I took a photo and then handed it back to the staff and said I would leave the medicine. I went to my local pharmacy and paid just less 400 Baht for the exact same medicine.

Other private hospitals have cottoned on to this practice and so will not itemize the medicine so you may have to buy from them.

I normally pay about 30-40% more at a major private hospital for expensive meds and about double for inexpensive.  All hospitals itemize if you ask for detail receipt.

• Like 1

Not been to buy at a Pharmacy for many years..

Always use 'Chula' Hospital since early 2015 [Red Cross] + buy everything from there Hospital pharmacy, as it is over 100 km round trip + 2 different MRT + Hospital always crowded with people thought because of Covid would buy from a Thai Pharmacy .. even so say 'cheapest anywhere' were silly prices.. 

Pay/get 100 day supply of everything = just under 3.000 baht. the so say cheapest was 11,210 baht, that was with same day delivery !!!  [Copied Chula prescription  and sent on-Line  so 100% the same]

Asked my Dr at Chula he said take the prescription to your local Government Hospital, ALL Government Hospitals charge the same.. OK was already registered with them for 15 odd years as anything small or very urgent go there anyway [5 km away] so last visit went there, some med's were a different brand + my Insulin was different brand = total price 3,200 baht.  ++ very few people