Are self Test Kits available and how reliable please?

RubbaJohnny

As MoPH and state info so varied and garbled I thought I would enquire.

Are the test kits sold by post or over the counter, 7-11 , Lotus,Shoppee Lazada etc?

Or do you need to visit a pharmacy/clinic hospital?

What level of result confidence of kits in Thailand?

Just speaking to colleague in Paris where they are free and used to get access to travel ect via Pas Sanitaire ( a Covid passport).

I do realize they may yield false results either way but if less than a dollar as in Europe be good to have a few for family as a standby as 1/9 people getting COVID in UK got it in a hospital and seeing the criminal queues for vax at Bang Su inspires little confidence.

Thank you in advance esp if able to give specific info source /cost /accuracy ranges.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
typo
  • Haha 2

They work well, but the problem with testing is that you might test negative one day and 3 days later you might be positive. This is the same with lab tests. The solution is to test every 3-4 days for a week to be sure.

I stick with Korean brands FDA approved like Standard Q.

• Thanks 1

I bought a pack of 5 Roche test kits at a pharmacy. Swiss brand, with English instructions, about 1,400 baht.

I haven't had a need to use them yet, I just want to have them at home in case I experience symptoms that might indicate Covid.

• Like 2

I bought the Roche Kit for 1400 Baht at Boots.  The Kit contains 5 test kits.  I have conducted two tests in 10 days.  Both came up negative. I do not have symptoms and do not come into close contact with people but at about 280 Baht per test it is a good screening tool.  I believe if you get two positive readings in a span of 5 to 7 days then a PCR test should be conducted.  Of course if you come up positive on a PCR test conducted at a hospital or clinic you know where you will be going irregardless of any symptoms or signs of illness: The hospital and it will not be free for us foreigners. I plan to test myself at least once a week.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I bought the Roche Kit for 1400 Baht at Boots.  The Kit contains 5 test kits.  I have conducted two tests in 10 days.  Both came up negative. I do not have symptoms and do not come into close contact with people but at about 280 Baht per test it is a good screening tool.  I believe if you get two positive readings in a span of 5 to 7 days then a PCR test should be conducted.  Of course if you come up positive on a PCR test conducted at a hospital or clinic you know where you will be going irregardless of any symptoms or signs of illness: The hospital and it will not be free for us foreigners. I plan to test myself at least once a week.  

You are assuming there will be a hospital bed for you. Evn then, you't need to be quite sick for admission. Most are going to hospitels (when you have money), field hospitals (when you have less money) or home isolation (if you can actually isolate from others for 2 weeks - wife's niece is doing that atm). I would not wait for a second positive on a RTK. Get the PCR (if possible), afyer the first positive RTK. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Of course if you come up positive on a PCR test conducted at a hospital or clinic you know where you will be going irregardless of any symptoms or signs of illness.

Far better to pay to do your PCR at a travel clinic if you're worried. I don't think they're required to railroad you into hospital.

While we're on the subject, govt is perturbed some folks die at home. Where else would anyone prefer to die?!?

• Haha 1

"Far better to pay to do your PCR at a travel clinic if you're worried. I don't think they're required to railroad you into hospital."

As I said before these Home Anti-gen test kits are good initial screening tools.  I do not have nor ever had any covid 19 related symptoms.  I have had and paid for 5 PCR tests this year.  All 5 PCR Tests came back as "not detected".  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Far better to pay to do your PCR at a travel clinic if you're worried. I don't think they're required to railroad you into hospital."

As I said before these Home Anti-gen test kits are good initial screening tools.  I do not have nor ever had any covid 19 related symptoms.  I have had and paid for 5 PCR tests this year.  All 5 PCR Tests came back as "not detected".  

Do you mind if I ask why did you do the 5 tests? Did you have symptoms? 

"Do you mind if I ask why did you do the 5 tests? Did you have symptoms? "

No issue with answering this question:

2 were in ASQ

2 were to check-in for  international flights

1. was for a colonoscopy(it was hospital policy).

I have never had Covid 19 Symptoms.  I also completed a Covid 19 Anti-body test as well.  

Edited by sqwakvfr