Is Thai AZ vaccine acceptable for entry to the UK without quarantine?

22 hours ago, theoldgit said:

You'll need to take that up with the British Embassy, good luck with that.

The fact remains that if you enter the UK from Thailand, an Amber Listed country, or transit through an Amber country, you are required to self isolate, not quarantine, self isolate for ten days following your arrival in the UK, or five days if you purchase a "test to release" package, and prove negative.

The UK Government Website clarifies further

This applies if you’re fully vaccinated under either:

• the UK vaccination programme
  • the UK vaccine programme overseas
  • an approved vaccination programme in Europe or the USA - not all are recognised in England

'the UK vaccine programme overseas'

Didn't the UK consular section reply on this very forum that there was no such plan to vaccinate UK nationals overseas?

56 minutes ago, sungod said:

'the UK vaccine programme overseas'

Didn't the UK consular section reply on this very forum that there was no such plan to vaccinate UK nationals overseas?

Whoops! I think they mean UK overseas territories eg Falklands Gibraltar and all the other tax havens

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, then it´s just to go down in Germany for a night, and arrive from EU the day after.

What about flying to Dublin, if there are no flights from Bangkok to Dublin, then Amsterdam, flying to Dublin, then getting a bus up to Belfast which is in the UK, and crossing from there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Yesfor supply and use in the UK

The UK Embassy here in Thailand adds, NHS COVID Passes/Vaccine Passports are currently not available for people who have been vaccinated outside of the UK. The UK government however recognises it needs to consider how to treat British Nationals who have been vaccinated overseas. Work is ongoing to determine which non-UK vaccines may be recognised.

Yes, I've heard that...."Yesfor supply and use in the UK"...

but is there a source for that? The British Embassy needs to clarify, as I think we can establish that AZ manufactured in Thailand, or anywhere else other than UK, is the same, with the same quality control. If it's not, then the whole vaccination system is pointless for quarantine travel exemptions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What about flying to Dublin, if there are no flights from Bangkok to Dublin, then Amsterdam, flying to Dublin, then getting a bus up to Belfast which is in the UK, and crossing from there?

Have a read of this. As far as I understand it you still have to fill in a passenger locator form and they would want to see an EU Covid Vaccination Certificate.

Travelling to Ireland during COVID-19 (citizensinformation.ie)

I fear that discussions regarding vaccine acceptability in the UK will be rendered moot in the forthcoming week. Currently Thailand ranks number 35 in the list of Covid worst infected countries, but the UK Red List has 60 countries and territories on it. Mexico for example was demoted to the Red List with virtually no warning a few days ago. Ten days of quarantine in the UK will cost an individual 2,285 GBP (106,000 THB) or a family of four sharing 6,575 GBP (306,000 THB).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, samtam said:

Yes, I've heard that...."Yesfor supply and use in the UK"...

but is there a source for that? The British Embassy needs to clarify, as I think we can establish that AZ manufactured in Thailand, or anywhere else other than UK, is the same, with the same quality control. If it's not, then the whole vaccination system is pointless for quarantine travel exemptions.  

The source was already posted by another member, but here is the relevant section in more detail.

Regulatory information on vaccines authorised in the UK

The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the UK authority responsible for assessing the safety, quality and efficacy of vaccines. It only assesses a vaccine if a marketing authorisation in the UK has been applied for.

The MHRA has authorised 4 COVID vaccines for supply and use in the UK:

• Pfizer/BioNTech
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Moderna
  • Janssen (Johnson and Johnson)

Find out more about MHRA approval for these vaccines.

But also:

Approved vaccines

You must have been fully vaccinated under one of the following programmes:

• UK vaccination programme, approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
  • UK vaccine programme overseas, approved by the MHRA
  • an approved vaccination programme in Europe or the USA – not all are recognised in England.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-vaccines-if-you-live-abroad#regulatory-information-on-vaccines-authorised-in-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

23 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

The source was already posted by another member, but here is the relevant section in more detail.

Regulatory information on vaccines authorised in the UK

The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the UK authority responsible for assessing the safety, quality and efficacy of vaccines. It only assesses a vaccine if a marketing authorisation in the UK has been applied for.

The MHRA has authorised 4 COVID vaccines for supply and use in the UK:

• Pfizer/BioNTech
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Moderna
  • Janssen (Johnson and Johnson)

Find out more about MHRA approval for these vaccines.

But also:

Approved vaccines

You must have been fully vaccinated under one of the following programmes:

• UK vaccination programme, approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
  • an approved vaccination programme in Europe or the USA – not all are recognised in England.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-vaccines-if-you-live-abroad#regulatory-information-on-vaccines-authorised-in-the-uk

Thanks. I read that, but I'm not clear why it has to be a UK manufactured (or injected in UK) serum for AZ; it says "suppy and use in UK", but, as far as I know, there is no narrative about those applied elsewhere. MHRA has approved AZ, so one can assume AZ is AZ whether it's manufactured in Thailand, or South Korea, or anywhere else they manufacture.

The only serum which appears to definitively not be approved is that manufactured by India's Serum Institute, which is called Covishield.

Edited by samtam

I came to UK in April from Thailand. Today Thailand is amber. From an amber country you will need to self-isolate at your destination for 10 days. That's a little different to coming from a red country where you will need a govt hotel for quarantine. UK updates country colours every week so something can change between booking and flying. Not necessarily easy travelling in Covid times.  My self isolation was in a hotel and location that I chose. Best to fly direct to avoid touching down in a red country, which will seem to reclassify you as coming from red country. I ordered tests for day 2 and 8. They have an early release program where you can optionally pay for a 3rd test out after 5 days.  Then you test on day 2, 5 and 8. I tested out after 5 days which effectively turned my self-isolation into 9 days. Why? Tests are sent by mail/post. No one works on the weekend. So try to time your Day 5 test out so it falls mid-week otherwise you'll have "dead" time waiting over the weekend.  Covid testing companies are self accredited. Meaning they fill in a form and say they can do the test and then are added to the govt list. There's no oversight, so some are sketchy/unreliable. Personally I used Screen4 and Prenetics. Both were good. Mailed me the tests and results timely (on the days they were working!) After I finished no one cared that I had finished self-isolation, no check from anyone. Although govt do claim to check people who submitted the travel locater form.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:33 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

"You must have been fully vaccinated under one of the following programmes:

• an approved vaccination programme in Europe or the USA – not all are recognised in England"      

That's what it says in the document I quoted originally. 

On 8/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, theoldgit said:

You'll need to take that up with the British Embassy, good luck with that.

The UK Government Website clarifies further

22 hours ago, samtam said:

I can't seem to find a list of UK vaccine programmes approved by the MHRA.

It seems very strange to me that MHRA has not approved an AstraZeneca vaccine that is not manufactured in UK. Surely the AZ in UK is the same as the AZ anywhere else?

6 hours ago, PBob said:

The actual vaccine is only a part of the 'vaccine programme' its the whole process that includes recording and how you prove that you have been vaccinated.

A piece of paper in a foriegn language will not be enough. Unless someone like the WHO come up with some standard then it depends upon bilateral agreements between countries.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Yes, I agree with you.

But they have had plenty of time to allocate resources to find an acceptable electronic way of proving you have been vaccinated to internationally acceptable standards.

Also, what do they intend to do with all the foreign Asian students in the UK, make them all quarantine? because the Chinese vaccine is not recognized at all by the UK.

I have checked this is more detail and note the following.
The UK government guidelines are confusing.
It states clearly that

Rules if you’re "fully vaccinated"
If you’re coming to England from an amber list country and have been "fully vaccinated" with a "vaccine approved by the bodies listed in this guide" you:

must take a COVID-19 pre-departure test
must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 after you arrive in England – arrival day is day 0
do not have to quarantine

It does not state that it has to be under one of the programmes.

then

"What counts as fully vaccinated"
‘Fully vaccinated’ means you must have had a final dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England.

The day you have your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

If you were vaccinated in 2 doses it must be with the same (MHRA, EMA, Swissmedic or FDA) approved vaccine. For example, if your first dose was Moderna your second dose must also be Moderna.

For the UK programmes you can have 1 dose under the UK vaccination programme and the other under the UK vaccine overseas programme.

If you had an approved 1 dose vaccine, such as Janssen, you are fully vaccinated.

In both the statements there is no mention that
"You must have been fully vaccinated under one of the following programmes....."

It does not come either from the additional statement for proving vaccination.

"Proving you’ve been fully vaccinated
You’ll need to show your travel operator and border control proof you’ve been fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine.

You’ll also need to confirm that you’ve been fully vaccinated and can show suitable proof on your passenger locator form."

The only statement that requires the programmes is under "Approved Vaccines" section which has content that does not match the title of the topic. "Approved vaccines"  are not Approved Vaccinators or proof of vaccination, so its confusing that the intent of this section has been changed.

The other three paragraphs do not bar all the other countries in the world where  the same vaccines are used.
However the "approved vaccines" section is the problem. I believe that the intention was that  the vaccines have to be as approved under those programmes (to match the main statement no 1.) and somebody decided to limit it.

Unfortunately this does not help because the passenger locator form states what the acceptable proof of vaccination is, and lists the programmes stated. So that confirms the programme requirements are mandatory. I have checked it. 

So the only way to avoid quarantine in UK is to go to a green list country for 10 days, and it cannot be the EU because Thailand is no longer on their acceptable list and you would have to satisfy their quarantine requirements.

I am not going to get into discussion whether people agree or not.
I do not believe that it makes any sense to close business with the rest of the world outside USA and EU, by not allowing fully vaccinated people, and businessmen, with approved vaccines to visit without the quarantine.
I would expect that there are many complaints being made about this requirement which appears to me to be discriminatory and not logical from a business perspective, never mind personal circumstances.

Lets hope they get more sense of the issue quickly and it will not last for many months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, jojothai said:

I did not see any way round it and put my thai mobile. You can buy a sim in the stores. I did this, then changed the mobile number on the passenger locator form site. It was possible to do it.

However they still called me on my thai mobile. After them repeatedly trying i had to answer in the end. They said they could not see any change. I gave them enough verbal criticism that they did not call me again.

However, they did send somebody a few days later to check that i was at the address for isolation.

However what you could do, is get somebody in uk to buy a sim now and put that uk sim number that you will have. Get them to load some credit. When you get the sim You can activate a package with the credit. Get the sim sent / given to you in uk when you arrive.

I was just logging in to the UK passenger locator form to check something and realize that you get access to the form through a code sent to your phone registered on the account.
So you need to register the account to your mobile here, then fill out the passenger locator form putting the UK mobile.
Do not use the UK mobile on the registration otherwise you cannot get to the form.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:53 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

I started the online application, but gave up when they required an explanation of why I would only accept SMS texts rather than phone calls - as if I'm going to keep my DTAC number open all day. Normally I buy a simcard when I get there.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, jojothai said:

However what you could do, is get somebody in uk to buy a sim now and put that uk sim number that you will have. Get them to load some credit. When you get the sim You can activate a package with the credit. Get the sim sent / given to you in uk when you arrive.

Hi Eff1n2ret
Please see my new post with a further note, made on the post above just a short time ago

Edited by jojothai
correction

On 8/15/2021 at 5:53 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

Has anyone who has travelled into the UK in the last couple of months kept a copy of the "Passenger Locator Form" that you have to submit? I'd be interested to see it. I started the online application, but gave up when they required an explanation of why I would only accept SMS texts rather than phone calls - as if I'm going to keep my DTAC number open all day. Normally I buy a simcard when I get there.

I was just wondering if there's any workaround if you transit, say, Amsterdam and say you've been staying there. I guess there isn't.

You would struggle with that reason - I think you'd need something stronger. My wife is here now and we chose contact by phone only to my landline number as there's no mobile signal here.  Unlike last year, Test & Trace do call - at least for the first week in our case.

Say you'd been staying in Amsterdam?  That would mean lying on your passenger locator form - you have to state which countries you've been in or through for the 10 days before you travel.  Do you know what information comes up on the screen when you present your passport at the UK border? I don't but as far as I know, the fine for lying on a PLF is quite large.

9 hours ago, neilltaylor19 said:

To muddy the waters even more i wouldnt be surprised and would expect a lot of countries including thr U.K to not accept entry to an a person entering from Thailand who has been vaccinated with a first dose of sinovac followed by a second dose of astra zeneca ( i have yet to hear of any other country in the world doing this ). I have no plans of visiting the U.K for a very long while yet but have already received my first sinovac dose ( i am grateful to get any vaccination offered here by the way ).

Yes,  it is interesting there are several EU countries and others accepting travelers with 2 of the often questioned Sinovac.  

One Sinovac and one AZ are not on any countries acceptance list except Thailand, from what I could find.  I agree, good you are getting something even the one AZ dose seems to show good results.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, jojothai said:

So the only way to avoid quarantine in UK is to go to a green list country for 10 days, and it cannot be the EU because Thailand is no longer on their acceptable list and you would have to satisfy their quarantine requirements.

That is factually wrong. Firstly let's distinguish between 'Quarantine' and 'Home Quarantine' as many TV readers will associate any form of quarantine with being locked in an approved hotel room as per 'Quarantine' in Thailand.  Those traveling to the UK from an Amber list country can spend their quarantine at their home, a relative or friend's home, a hotel etc. etc. Most travellers from an Amber list country will be required to pass a PCR test before travelling and 2 further tests on Day 2 and Day 8 following arrival (the actual date of arrival is Day 0) - mostly through a home testing kit from an approved supplier.  This can be reduced to 5 days through the 'Test to Release' scheme.

If you said the only way to avoid UK quarantine when travelling from Thailand, I'd agree but you don't.

Those travelling from some Amber locations that have been fully vaccinated can do so without quarantine providing the vaccine they have had is approved by the UK. I believe they still have to provide a PCR test 72 hours before departure and one on Day 2 - if its negative they're good to go.  At the moment only those travelling from (and vaccinated in) the US and EU Amber list countries can benefit from this reduced quarantine but more countries are likely to be added to the list.

Content of a notification e-mail I received.

Update from GOV.UK for:

Entering England during coronavirus

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

Page summary:
Countries rated as red, amber or green for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the rules you must follow to enter England.

Change made:
From 2 August, people who have been fully vaccinated in many European countries or the USA will not need to quarantine on arrival in England or take a day 8 test.

Time updated:
2:44pm, 28 July 2021

Edited by KhaoYai

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Are you suggesting breaking the law? You have to state where you've been or transited through during the last 10 days on the Passenger Locator Form.

Edited by KhaoYai

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you suggesting breaking the law? You have to state where you've been or transited through during the last 10 days on the Passenger Locator Form.

Do you mean after I arrive in Scotland? Or before I board the plane in Bangkok? It would not stop me breaking the law if I did not agree with it and can find a way round it, as long as it is not detrimental to the ordinary people.

I certainly would not do anything that is putting anyone at risk of getting the Cvirus.

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Do you mean after I arrive in Scotland? Or before I board the plane in Bangkok? It would not stop me breaking the law if I did not agree with it and can find a way round it, as long as it is not detrimental to the ordinary people.

I certainly would not do anything that is putting anyone at risk of getting the Cvirus.

You may well be able to find you way around the law but the journey you describe would require 2, possibly 3 Passenger locator forms - you would be breaking the law on the UK form if you didn't disclose that you'd been in Thailand in the previous 10 days. That is of course up to you, as long as you know the risks.

I don't know how they police it but when I enquired about this route earlier in the year I was told I would not be allowed to used public transport to travel from the South to Northern Ireland. Neither would I be able to get someone to pick me up.

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You may well be able to find you way around the law but the journey you describe would require 2, possibly 3 Passenger locator forms - you would be breaking the law on the UK form if you didn't disclose that you'd been in Thailand in the previous 10 days. That is of course up to you, as long as you know the risks.

I don't know how they police it but when I enquired about this route earlier in the year I was told I would not be allowed to used public transport to travel from the South to Northern Ireland. Neither would I be able to get someone to pick me up.

Thanks for telling me, I am actually waiting till things to clear up before I go back to the UK. I am not in any hurry, someone just mentioned this to me. These PLFs, I thought it was just another Thai thing, but going by what you are saying. it is international.

20 hours ago, DavisH said:

Thailand should reciprocate, given the number of cases in the UK at the moment. 

With daily covid cases  in the Uk  standing at  approx.. 28,500 & daily cases in Thailand at  approx .. 21,000, i think   things will stay as they are  for now

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That is factually wrong. Firstly let's distinguish between 'Quarantine' and 'Home Quarantine' as many TV readers will associate any form of quarantine with being locked in an approved hotel room as per 'Quarantine' in Thailand.  Those traveling to the UK from an Amber list country can spend their quarantine at their home, a relative or friend's home, a hotel etc. etc. Most travellers from an Amber list country will be required to pass a PCR test before travelling and 2 further tests on Day 2 and Day 8 following arrival (the actual date of arrival is Day 0) - mostly through a home testing kit from an approved supplier.  This can be reduced to 5 days through the 'Test to Release' scheme.

The word Quarantine is used in a lot of the UK rules and regulations regardless of whether it is hotel quarantine or self isolation. So you best tell them the problem.
You showed the problem in your post "can spend their quarantine at their home,"

7 hours ago, jojothai said:

The word Quarantine is used in a lot of the UK rules and regulations regardless of whether it is hotel quarantine or self isolation. So you best tell them the problem.
You showed the problem in your post "can spend their quarantine at their home,"

I don't find it that difficult.  The situation is changing all the time - most countries adapt their rules according to the situation.  Not that I think their reading of the 'situation' in each country has much to do with Covid - for example, the UK failed to act qucikly enough to move India to the Red List, then in a week when cases were still rising there, moved them back to the Amber List........I suspect that's more political than medical but that's a whole other subject.

As I say, I don't find it that difficult, I know that Amber List = 'Home Quarantine' (self isolation) or in some cases testing for the fully vaccinated and Red List = Hotel Qurantine but given that the situation is fluid with all countries, I'd always check the actual rules (including transit) that applied to my planned trip before booking and only book a flexible ticket (which many airlines are now offering). In much the same way as I know that Thailand = ASQ or Sandbox..........not so difficult really.

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

These PLFs, I thought it was just another Thai thing, but going by what you are saying. it is international.

It certainly is international and due to some misinformation on Thai social media sites, some people are trying to complete the wrong form.  When my wife had to do hers, I planned to help her as far as possible by completing a duplicate form at the same time on the phone (you can't do it all because you have to fill in your testing booking reference which must be correct).  It soon became clear that we were reading from different PLF's - she'd been given a link by someone on Facebook.  God knows what country it was for - it certainly wasn't for the UK. ????

51 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It certainly is international and due to some misinformation on Thai social media sites, some people are trying to complete the wrong form.  When my wife had to do hers, I planned to help her as far as possible by completing a duplicate form at the same time on the phone (you can't do it all because you have to fill in your testing booking reference which must be correct).  It soon became clear that we were reading from different PLF's - she'd been given a link by someone on Facebook.  God knows what country it was for - it certainly wasn't for the UK. ????

It is just one big mess, but I have done the bus run from Dublin to Belfast then the ferry across to Scotland because my return flight was cancelled, though this was years ago.

Just how are we going to get the truth about this PLF thing? Maybe the best thing is to wait until I want to go to the UK, surely the flight I book will tell me what to do, someone will know what you have to do and to take responsibility for this PLF.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe the best thing is to wait until I want to go to the UK, surely the flight I book will tell me what to do, someone will know what you have to do and to take responsibility for this PLF.

I returned a few weeks ago so fairly recent experience.  The airline will likely tell you that a PLF is required, and will check it at airport check-in, but the responsibility to fill it in accurately lies with the passenger.  It's a simple enough form with the biggest limitation (IMO) being that it can't be done until <48 hours before you're arrival in the UK.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Just how are we going to get the truth about this PLF thing? Maybe the best thing is to wait until I want to go to the UK, surely the flight I book will tell me what to do, someone will know what you have to do and to take responsibility for this PLF.

Don't rely on the airline to tell you what you need to do. If you don't fit the requirements they'll just bump you off the flight and tell you its your responsibility to find out what the requirements are.

Its quite straightforward really - not sure what you mean about the truth.  Book your flight, arrange for a PCR test in Thailand (3 to 4000 baht) within 72 hours of departure and book your Day 2 and Day 8 home test kits from one of the providers on the UK's list.  I had problems with scammers on that but eventually booked with a company called Nationwide Pathology and all went well - £85.  You must book these tests as once completed you are given a booking reference number which needs to be entered on the PLF to be able to complete that process - as mentioned above, you can't complete the PLF until there are less than 48 hours to your departure time.  Once the PLF is completed you will be given a confirmation with a QR code that can be scanned at the airport.  I also got my wife to download a paper copy just in case.

(Note, although you can produce a paper version of the completed PLF and QR code, don't think you can obtain and complete a paper PLF - you can't, it must be done online)

The crazy thing is you can't complete your PLF unless you've booked your tests and got a booking reference but the check in staff don't seem to know that and ask for everything.  My mrs was asked to show her QR code on her phone and her test booking confirmation. I've also heard of people being asked to show the payment receipt for their tests.

It sounds complicated but its not really - its just time consuming. To summarise:

Book your flight.

Book a PCR test in Thailand (within 72 hours of your flight.

Book your Day 2 and Day 8 tests in the UK (The day you arrive is Day 0)

Complete your PLF  (not more than 48 hours to your departure time).

Things required at the airport (including possibilities)

Negative PCR test result (Thai)

Day 2 & Day 8 test booking confirmation + receipt

PLF on phone and/or paper version.

There are a couple of badly worded questions regarding where you've been on the PLF process which can lead to an error message or being unable to complete the form - can't remember exactly what but you'll figure it out.  I seem to remember that the form makes it appear as if you've stated  that you've only been visiting Thailand.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

Quarantine and testing if you've been in an amber list country - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

That guidance is quite clear, although you or I may not agree with it. Irrespective of what vaccine you've had, arriving from Thailand, an amber list country, requires you to quarantine and test on arrival. Only if you've been vaccinated in the UK, the EU or the USA can you avoid quarantine.

How Europe soured on the AstraZeneca vaccine (yahoo.com)