Is Thai AZ vaccine acceptable for entry to the UK without quarantine?

9 hours ago, treetops said:

I returned a few weeks ago so fairly recent experience.  The airline will likely tell you that a PLF is required, and will check it at airport check-in, but the responsibility to fill it in accurately lies with the passenger.  It's a simple enough form with the biggest limitation (IMO) being that it can't be done until <48 hours before you're arrival in the UK.

Thanks, So you have about 36 hours and a bit of running about to do, it seems there is a lot more to it than just filling in a form, and you have the chance of a flight cancellation, which would mean doing the same thing all over again.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Don't rely on the airline to tell you what you need to do. If you don't fit the requirements they'll just bump you off the flight and tell you its your responsibility to find out what the requirements are.

Its quite straightforward really - not sure what you mean about the truth.  Book your flight, arrange for a PCR test in Thailand (3 to 4000 baht) within 72 hours of departure and book your Day 2 and Day 8 home test kits from one of the providers on the UK's list.  I had problems with scammers on that but eventually booked with a company called Nationwide Pathology and all went well - £85.  You must book these tests as once completed you are given a booking reference number which needs to be entered on the PLF to be able to complete that process - as mentioned above, you can't complete the PLF until there are less than 48 hours to your departure time.  Once the PLF is completed you will be given a confirmation with a QR code that can be scanned at the airport.  I also got my wife to download a paper copy just in case.

(Note, although you can produce a paper version of the completed PLF and QR code, don't think you can obtain and complete a paper PLF - you can't, it must be done online)

The crazy thing is you can't complete your PLF unless you've booked your tests and got a booking reference but the check in staff don't seem to know that and ask for everything.  My mrs was asked to show her QR code on her phone and her test booking confirmation. I've also heard of people being asked to show the payment receipt for their tests.

It sounds complicated but its not really - its just time consuming. To summarise:

Book your flight.

Book a PCR test in Thailand (within 72 hours of your flight.

Book your Day 2 and Day 8 tests in the UK (The day you arrive is Day 0)

Complete your PLF  (not more than 48 hours to your departure time).

Things required at the airport (including possibilities)

Negative PCR test result (Thai)

Day 2 & Day 8 test booking confirmation + receipt

PLF on phone and/or paper version.

There are a couple of badly worded questions regarding where you've been on the PLF process which can lead to an error message or being unable to complete the form - can't remember exactly what but you'll figure it out.  I seem to remember that the form makes it appear as if you've stated  that you've only been visiting Thailand.

Thanks, you have been a great help. There's an awful lot of complications there, and what happens if you don't have a smartphone, or your not literate enough to use the internet on it. It seems that if you land in Bangkok and want to book a flight to the UK, there is no one able to help you over a small timeline. it sounds like an absolute nightmare.

9 hours ago, treetops said:

I returned a few weeks ago so fairly recent experience.  The airline will likely tell you that a PLF is required, and will check it at airport check-in, but the responsibility to fill it in accurately lies with the passenger.  It's a simple enough form with the biggest limitation (IMO) being that it can't be done until <48 hours before you're arrival in the UK.

Have you read the post from KhaoYai? The PLF doesn't seem like a simple enough form to me, especially on a timescale of about 36 hours. That's only a day and a half.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks, So you have about 36 hours and a bit of running about to do, it seems there is a lot more to it than just filling in a form, and you have the chance of a flight cancellation, which would mean doing the same thing all over again.

Not at all.  It took me less than an hour on the phone to help my wife complete her PLF - once we got the correct one.

The thing that took up my time more than anything was problems with a company that I first chose to provide Day 2 and Day 8 testing. That is why I recommended using Nationwide Pathology - failing that, before you book any testing, check out your chosen provider's reviews on sites such as Trustpilot.

Flight cancellations are a possibility but that situation seems to have stabilised somewhat since last year - I suggest you do what I did and check out which flights leave Bangkok regularly on sites such as the airport's own website and flightradar. The latter has a facility to check 5 days history without subscription.  That's what I did before choosing KLM for my wife's flights - however, since then the UAE has been moved to the UK's Amber List so it is now possible to use Etihad and Emirates.

As regards those without a smartphone, I totally agree but that's how it is right now - the UK government are the ones to complain to regarding that.  If you've been out of the UK for some time you will be quite shocked when you return to find out just how many goods and services can only be accessed online - its wrong and in my opinion, needs sorting.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Not at all.  It took me less than an hour on the phone to help my wife complete her PLF - once we got the correct one.

The thing that took up my time more than anything was problems with a company that I first chose to provide Day 2 and Day 8 testing. That is why I recommended using Nationwide Pathology - failing that, before you book any testing, check out your chosen provider's reviews on sites such as Trustpilot.

Flight cancellations are a possibility but that situation seems to have stabilised somewhat since last year - I suggest you do what I did and check out which flights leave Bangkok regularly on sites such as the airport's own website and flightradar. The latter has a facility to check 5 days history without subscription.  That's what I did before choosing KLM for my wife's flights - however, since then the UAE has been moved to the UK's Amber List so it is now possible to use Etihad and Emirates.

As regards those without a smartphone, I totally agree but that's how it is right now - the UK government are the ones to complain to regarding that.  If you've been out of the UK for some time you will be quite shocked when you return to find out just how many goods and services can only be accessed online - its wrong and in my opinion, needs sorting.

I don't really plan to go to the UK before Christmas, though that could change if the Cvirus eases up and it gets much easier to travel. Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to help me, it really is appreciated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Have you read the post from KhaoYai? The PLF doesn't seem like a simple enough form to me, especially on a timescale of about 36 hours. That's only a day and a half.

Have you read his subsequent response to your post?  The PLF is a piece of plsh as long as you have your passport, flight details, test reference number and know where you've been and where you're going.  If you're still concerned have a dry run at it  (with made up details if required) and see for yourself.

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

Have you read his subsequent response to your post?  The PLF is a piece of plsh as long as you have your passport, flight details, test reference number and know where you've been and where you're going.  If you're still concerned have a dry run at it  (with made up details if required) and see for yourself.

I hope your right, but can you explain why the said posters wife took 30mins on the phone if it is the piece of p--h that you say it is? If it is as simple as you say, then surely 5 or 10 mins would have been enough. 

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I hope your right, but can you explain why the said posters wife took 30mins on the phone if it is the piece of p--h that you say it is? If it is as simple as you say, then surely 5 or 10 mins would have been enough. 

You'd be better to ask him, but on a call to his wife there may have been language barriers, technology issues, side talk and he may even have rounded it off when he said "less than an hour" in his post.

On the bright side you won't have his issues regarding choosing Day 2 & 8 test providers if you're travelling to Scotland as there's only one provider.  Unfortunately you also won't get the benefit of competitive pricing as it's currently a fixed price of £136 (down from £170 just this week).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Its not 5 mins but treetops is correct, there were language difficulties - my wife speaks reasonable English and I speak a little Thai.  However the PLF contains words that we rarely use so a little explanation was necessary. You're English so you won't have that problem.

In any case, 30 mins is nowhere near the 36 hours you were talking about.

Don't take this personally but throughout this Pandemic I've heard people complaining about how confusing regulations are for this and that - mainly over lockdown in the UK.  When you examine the details they are usually not that confusing at all.

Yes, normally you'd just go and buy a ticket, now you have to do a bit more but I wouldn't let a couple of hours spent form filling, booking tests and having a PCR test stop me from travelling.

Its much the same as the guy on TV last week complaining that Day 2 and Day 8 testing cost £800 for him, his wife and their 2 kids. I paid £85 for my wife's tests - you just have to look around and put a little leg work in.  People are so used to being 'spoon fed' that when it comes to having to actually do something they get upset.

My Mrs has now visited twice, the next trip will be mine. Think about what I'll have to do - as well as the UK stuff that that we've been discussing, I'll have to book and pay for whatever is in place in Thailand at the time. Will I let that stop me from travelling? Not a hope!

If you read one of my other posts on a similar subject you will find that planning my wife's trip was a nightmare - mainly due to the problems with the original testing company and also KLM's so called 'Flexible Booking' policy - which turned out to only be flexible when they decided to respond to my request to change my wife's flight dates (3.5 days).

I find a lot of information out on this forum, just as I hope my posts have helped you avoid some of the pitfalls.  You just have to do a little research at the moment.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

If you're still concerned have a dry run at it  (with made up details if required) and see for yourself.

You can do most of the form which should help but you can't complete it without a valid test booking reference.

Adhering to the question as asked in the OP I am left wondering on what  basis  there should be the question?

As a product that is made under license using supplied materials from parent source, subjected to test of quality/conformity to approved standard, made in multiple global locations to same criteria then on what basis should/could a geographical location of production be disputed ?

Should the same question be put about Pfizer because it is not  exclusively produced in the usa?

My question is why is it that given the global capacity that exists why is production remaining limited ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Should the same question be put about Pfizer because it is not  exclusively produced in the usa?

It is.  The UK will only give the concession to those travelling from the US and the EU who have been fully vaccinated using approved vaccines administered in those regions. Both AZ and Pfizer are on that list. They don't seem to be making distinctions regarding where the vaccine was produced - just that its approved.

As for products being like for like - just produced in a different country, I would tend to agree - you'd hope that the original producer would insist on some sort of quality assurance that guarantees the product is up to standard wherever its made.

Then again, there has been variance on batches - during the arguments regarding side effects with the AZ vaccine - I seem to remember some countries stating the problems only applied to certain batch numbers.

You'd think a BMW 3 series would be the same whether its produced in Germany or Borwin, Chonburi.  I seem to remember BMW having serious build quality issues with Thai built cars a few years back. In fairness though, they've had QC issues in other countries too.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 8/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Quarantine and testing if you've been in an amber list country - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

That guidance is quite clear, although you or I may not agree with it. Irrespective of what vaccine you've had, arriving from Thailand, an amber list country, requires you to quarantine and test on arrival. Only if you've been vaccinated in the UK, the EU or the USA can you avoid quarantine.

unfortunately u are quite correct,bizarre but true.it will change though,germany and france r ok with it and the rest will follow shortly. as for the buffoons in westminster fresh from the US debacle in kabul theyll follow ,its their vacc made under licence but we see again govt fools messing with us and our lives,eu recognises the sinocrap....unreal.moral corruption.we see this site carries sometimes a uk govt forum from emb,saying ask them questions.obviously coz no one picks the phone up there or answers emails promptly,try asking this one,when were staff jabbed and what vacc did the get.yep bs is the name of that game,simple enough question and our tax payments.shows u what they think of us,kabul ,sending in troops to lift the scum outta the emb there,go on talibs kill the lot,transfer the uk emb lot there now.they dont mind putting our lives in danger even when we are the people paying their inflated salaries.

• Confused 1

According to flip flop news today and published on TVF it looks like the UK will accept double dosed AZ visitors to the UK and recognize AZ vaccine given in Thailand.

Common sense prevails, it looks like!

31 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

According to flip flop news today and published on TVF it looks like the UK will accept double dosed AZ visitors to the UK and recognize AZ vaccine given in Thailand.

That's good. Source?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It's speculation. The advice on the UK government website  (updated 13th August) hasn't changed.

It does show they are aware of the problem and are addressing the discrepancy, lets hope it turns into action and quickly, like they are saying it will.

The present restrictions are a basket case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

It does show they are aware of the problem and are addressing the discrepancy, lets hope it turns into action and quickly, like they are saying it will.

The present restrictions are a basket case.

Yes, illogical. A person double vaccinated in UK with AZ (manufactured and administered in UK) could return from Thailand and do no self-isolation in UK, but a person double vaccinated with AZ manufactured and administered in Thailand has to do 10 day self-isolation in UK. AZ in UK is approved by MHRA. AZ in Thailand or anywhere other than UK and EU, is not (yet) approved by MHRA. 

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Best not to find ways round. If you have to repatriate do the quarantine- it's safer for you and everybody.

Disagree,

We are showing the discrepancies arising by people vaccinated by the exact same vaccine, under the same conditions, just in different countries having to follow different rules.

That doesn't protect anybody, it just confuses the issue and leaves gaping holes and questions as to why it is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You can do most of the form which should help but you can't complete it without a valid test booking reference.

Quite. People need to very careful with the PLF. I traveled via Germany and at BKK airport they only glanced through the PLF but at the gate leaving Frankfurt it was checked very thoroughly and I saw many having to redo it. The lady in front of me hadn't put her seat number on it.

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

If true, I wonder if they would accept 1 Sinovac and 2 AZ's?

Slightly off topic, I still can't get my head around that I'm having these type of conversations and asking these questions, utterly bizarre what has happened. I'm struggling with it all if i'm honest, I can't accept this new normal, even if many can. 

I never thought the day would come where you can't even nip over to Cambo/'Nam, Malaysia, HK, etc for a trip/beano. Feels like a lifetime away now and a bygone era. Tragic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have an NHS card indicating that I have been vaccinated twice, useless for international travel, but here in the UK from 29th August I will be "fully vaccinated".

Just this week the UK have introduced the "NHS Vaccine Resolution Centre" allegedly to help those who had COVID vaccinations abroad get them recognised and onto the records databse.  It might be worthwhile giving them a call.  It's the 119 shortcode from within the UK but they should be acccessible from overseas somehow if you require it.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:33 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

So our own dear British Embassy staff, who may have had  Astra Zeneca jabs here, can waltz in with no restrictions while you and I must suck it up, because we're second class citizens.

Should have realized it longtime when left the home country to take refuge in another country. 

• Like 1

Just a few points to make.

With vaccines, the main issue is the documentation around the vaccination. There is currently no global standard. Fake documents have been used. Even the card you are given in the UK showing your vaccination status is, i am told, not valid for global travel - you have to take your card to a GP and get another document. At the airport in the UK, the average border force person can barely read, let alone decide what is and what isn't a valid vaccination document!

next, the PLF form. I wouldn't say it was easy, especially when you do not know the questions. Took me about one hour to do, as i had to keep saving the form and going to check information requested (i was isolating away from 'home'. which complicated it a bit). It is sent to you as a electronic document via email, you could print it, but if you can access it on your phone should be OK. I gave my Thai mobile number although i knew it wouldn't work in the UK. Even after i returned and got a new SIM, still an issue as where i was isolating there was usually no reception, it is a dead zone. Fortunately i also gave the house phone number and they contacted me on that a few days after i arrived. Not sure how many times they tried to call because it was hot and i was in the garden....

Checking - At Bangkok they asked for my 72 hour Covid test and the PLF, but didn't really scrutinise it. At Amsterdam, we were sent to a special document check location and they were examined in some detail. They put a sticker on your passport without which you could be denied boarding. At Heathrow - no checks at all!  I received one telephone call and a home visit from a real person at about day 6.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

Just this week the UK have introduced the "NHS Vaccine Resolution Centre" allegedly to help those who had COVID vaccinations abroad get them recognised and onto the records databse.  It might be worthwhile giving them a call.  It's the 119 shortcode from within the UK but they should be acccessible from overseas somehow if you require it.

I meant the card was useless, the same as everyone else. 

You cannot access your records without the NHS app and you cannot access the app unless registered with a GP. I wrote to the NHS some time ago about changing my address details and they replied that they cannot access patient records, it can only be done through a GP

I have handed in the forms but it takes about a week or so to get processed and get your login details. You would need that info before there can be any resolution.

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

Checking - At Bangkok they asked for my 72 hour Covid test and the PLF, but didn't really scrutinise it. At Amsterdam, we were sent to a special document check location and they were examined in some detail. They put a sticker on your passport without which you could be denied boarding. At Heathrow - no checks at all!  I received one telephone call and a home visit from a real person at about day 6.

Much the same as me coming through Frankfurt.

At Heathrow I came straight through an E gate, never spoke to anyone.

I got a telephone call on Day 3 but no visit. Did the Day 5 test with same day result and came out of isolation on Day 6.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:08 AM, theoldgit said:

Even if it were true, and like you I don't know if it is, you still wouldn't be allowed to stay overnight in Germany to negate the requirement to self isolate for five or ten days on arrival in the UK.

You also need to declare that you have been in an 'amber' in the previous 10 days.