Change O-A visa to Elite visa

Just a matter of Interest To chance an O-A to an O you have to leave the country I know but its hard to do so now due to border closures. etc. But regarding changing to the expensive Elite this leaving the country  nonsense does not seem to apply  . Any thoughts on this ??

The right people have never been paid to have the rules changed so Thailand Elite visas can be offered to those on Non Immigrant entries without leaving and re-entering Thailand. Is this stupid? Yes. Unfortunately, it is the reality. 

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

I mean it makes sense to me, if someone is paying $20,000 for 5 year elite visa, then Thailand shouldn't also make you leave the country and come back. 

What i know, you dont need to leave country to get your Elite visa stamp in your passport.

They ask are you currently in Thailand when you apply visa.

Edited by 2 is 1

I don't think you need to leave the country.  But you are expected to be at the BKK airport and that is where you are met and then walked over to immigration and get the Elite stamp and stuff.  I am not sure what to do if you have an existing O A visa or extension already.  I am pretty sure you can not have two types of visas at the same time, so you need to check on how to cancel that OA right when you get the Elite Visa.  I am 99% sure there is no "conversion" from one to the other as they really are quite different.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I don't think you need to leave the country.  But you are expected to be at the BKK airport and that is where you are met and then walked over to immigration and get the Elite stamp and stuff.  I am not sure what to do if you have an existing O A visa or extension already.  I am pretty sure you can not have two types of visas at the same time, so you need to check on how to cancel that OA right when you get the Elite Visa.  I am 99% sure there is no "conversion" from one to the other as they really are quite different.

Not sure for translating O-A to Elite, but if ok and in Bangkok, it would have to be done at Chaeng Watthana immigration office, not the airport if you are already inside the country.

24 minutes ago, xenophon said:

"changing to the expensive Elite this leaving the country  nonsense does not seem to apply"

Straightforward question. Straightforward answer: true, you do not have to leave the country

I could only get mine on entry. Strange...

7 hours ago, xenophon said:

"changing to the expensive Elite this leaving the country  nonsense does not seem to apply"

Straightforward question. Straightforward answer: true, you do not have to leave the country

I think the correct answer is simple, but not the one you have given. If on a Non Immigrant entry, the rules do not permit converting to a Thailand Elite visa at Immigration in Thailand. You are obliged to exit and re-enter Thailand to get it done. [Note that it is possible to get it done in country if here on a tourist entry.]