What is this waiver nonsense all about?!

I have been teaching at the same school for 8 years now and have used up 4 waivers. My school never, ever mentioned a thing about this until now so I have been totally unaware about this requirement.

I live up country and teach at a local school for 33k per month. I plan on going home in the next few years when my son is 5 so I have around 3 years left in Thailand.

With that in mind, I simply cannot justify paying upwards of 150k for the PGCEi never mind afford it. I have no long term aspirations of teaching or do I long for a job at an international school. I'm happy where I am for now, with my salary and I'm too focussed on my family and teaching my classes to think about studying more.

Do I have any other options? Surely they can't put me out of work because of this, but a backpacker coming for a few months to show up hungover every Monday is all good?

I'm angry and upset thinking about it. I have a BA in TESOL and a CELTA. What more do I need to teach at a government school in Isaan?!

Any help guys?

Thanks,
Frank

• Haha 1

I am not sure if the PGCEi gets the Thai teachers license or not, maybe someone can correct me.

I heard there is a Dip Ed from a Fillipino uni offered in a transnational program (online) and is accepted by Ministry of Ed for the full license. St. Roberts. I think is the company arranging it. It is significantly cheaper, like around the value of a CELTA.

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

I am not sure if the PGCEi gets the Thai teachers license or not, maybe someone can correct me.

I heard there is a Dip Ed from a Fillipino uni offered in a transnational program (online) and is accepted by Ministry of Ed for the full license. St. Roberts. I think is the company arranging it. It is significantly cheaper, like around the value of a CELTA.

But not sure if it'll help you with another 2 year waiver due to you already having used up 8 years. Should ask them

Just now, FrankThePlumber said:

Another issue is my 4th waiver is expiring in December so I don't have enough time to even complete a course if I wanted to ????

Any language schools or universities near you?

There is bound to be a Rajabhat in your area.

Contact that St Roberts about getting an admission letter, chance your hand at a 5 waiver.

Or just study half the course between now and December.

I dunno. It is tricky.

They shouldn't have given you the 4th waiver without you being enrolled on an education course; duty of care n all that.

Your BA TESOL ought to get you the full license. Doesn't it?

Edited by 2009

1 minute ago, FrankThePlumber said:

Nope they never mentioned it to me, well my school never, I had no dealings with khurusapha or even knew of their existence until 2 days ago.

BA doesn't cut it as it's bachelor of arts and not of education. Messed up system ruining people's lives.

I assume you are in an Isaan city if you are on 33k, rather than a little village (or at least within driving distance).

There will be a uni. Get a uni job. No worries with krusapa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FrankThePlumber said:

I looked into that but it looks like that entire industry has been shut down just last week. Married with a kid but still using Non B but will try and switch to Non O if I can't get a job. Won't last long with a kid and very little savings.

You do know you need 400k in the bank for family visa, right?

Just now, FrankThePlumber said:

Yeah I'm in KK and will start job hunting tomorrow. I believe language schools don't have this requirement too?

KK, jeez, there will likely be about three for four unis, I would guess.

Yeah, but language schools might not do the Non B for you. 

Why is it nonsense? You had 8 years to take the necessary courses. Why didn’t you do it. That’s what the waivers are for. To give teachers time to get the necessary qualifications for the teaching license. Sorry to say but you are wrong!

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 9:16 PM, FrankThePlumber said:

Yeah I'm in KK and will start job hunting tomorrow. I believe language schools don't have this requirement too?

Yes, many agencies have a magical “blanket waiver” 

Where did you do a BA TESOL? Didn’t they mention if it will qualify?

The thing that always strikes me, all these critical experts here and no one can give you a straight answer? I have never come across anyone who met the requirements apart from a mate who had the assistance of his international school, he ended up doing several qualifications including a masters in BKK.

The school might help, immigration might brush over the waiver for a visa.

I went the online teaching route, but if I were you, maybe get a non-o extension for marriage and a WP (I’m sure they aren’t concerned) and ask if the school can cover you. You are correct, a higher teaching qualification for a 33K job is a joke. 

Very interesting post, this.  What is funny (as in 'odd' or 'peculiar' or 'interesting') is that the question asked in the title never really gets squarely answered. I was teaching in Thailand for about five years, and never heard of this "waiver business".  However, I can well imagine, given the inventiveness of Thai bureaucrats. I eventually got tired of the runaround and was able to escape back to the US.  Here (in California) there are different requirements, and less "runaround" and jumping through hoops. 

Well, I'm missing my point: What is this waiver business? Can someone (or several) explain, please? 

4 hours ago, fulhamster said:

"Do I have any other options? Surely they can't put me out of work because of this, but a backpacker coming for a few months to show up hungover every Monday is all good?"

The backpacker won't be on 33K

...and there are no or very few backpackers now. 

The OP should:

1) Find work with a language school (probably easier to get than a University). Universities usually want a Master's as a minimum, but could ge lucky), Hopefully they will give the Non-B, or

2) Scrounge up 400K for an extension based on marriage. (or 40K / month salary). , or

3) Enrol in an online course and hope they give another extension based on "progress to being qualified". Try the St Robert's course. I don't know much about course that myself. 

Thanks for your replies guys.

As previously mentioned, I live in KK and am one of 2 English teachers at my school. My colleagues usually last 2 years max. I have a family and don't have any foreigner friends to discuss CPD with.

I have managed to get a job teaching online, thankfully.

• Like 2