question relating to PR

Can confirm? Is it paying tax on 80K or 50K? I thought it was the latter?

Is it possible to apply for PR through paying tax on 50K or 60K per year? I hope so!!

Thank you.

Edited by JRG23

If the PR is so important to you, then read Ubonjoe's input on salary and income tax. It will require a Co., Ltd., a work permit and a continuous stay of at least three years in Thailand (you may leave anytime in between with a valid re-entry permit to keep your original visa and its extensions alive). If you have Thai minors to support, even better. 

Maybe all this will be reshuffled once Thailand comes out of the sticks if and when they master the ongoing Corona management crisis of theirs. They will certainly need all the help they can and once you flush out all those selfish and racist dinosaurs from all those offices and desks ..... then there might be silver lining at the horizon of a rising sun illuminating a new Thailand inching its way to the 21st century.

Wishful thinking? Well, lets see to that and cross the bridge once we get there ???? There's always hope .... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JRG23 said:

80K, and if you declare a 100K, even better. You're talking USD 3'000 onto which you pay taxes; the difference in tax paying at the end of a year is a few hundert USD; possibly a good investment! 

36 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Is it possible to apply for PR through paying tax on 50K or 60K per year? I hope so!!

It is 50k baht if married to a Thai. If not it is 80k baht.

I got PR but wasn't working for a Thai Co. - I was working for a UK company (media). 

You don't need to be able to read Thai, but you need to be able to talk in Thai about yourself, job etc, and answer multiple choice questions, which are written in Thai but can be read out to you. 

(well this was 10+ years ago when I got it - things may have changed) 

12 hours ago, Haddo said:

I got PR but wasn't working for a Thai Co. - I was working for a UK company (media). 

You don't need to be able to read Thai, but you need to be able to talk in Thai about yourself, job etc, and answer multiple choice questions, which are written in Thai but can be read out to you. 

So how were you paid?  Did you UK company pay your UK bank account or wire money into your Thai bank account or what?

How did you pay taxes here in Thailand?

How did you get your work permit and what was your stated work?

Did you have a business visa? 

Thanks so much for this and any other info you can give!

Edited by zeekgarcia

14 hours ago, zeekgarcia said:

So how were you paid?  Did you UK company pay your UK bank account or wire money into your Thai bank account or what?

How did you pay taxes here in Thailand?

How did you get your work permit and what was your stated work?

Did you have a business visa? 

Thanks so much for this and any other info you can give!

Bank statements are not checked for salary credits. You have to pay tax to the Thai Revenue Dept on 80k THB (if not married to a Thai) for 3 years. You need to show PND 91 as evidence for the last 3 years, 3 yrs of continuous Work permit and visa extensions. 

Non B or Non O visas (marriage) both are accepted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is 50k baht if married to a Thai. If not it is 80k baht.

Great to know. Thank you.

I am on my second year of 60k (and am married to a Thai).

I plan to apply for PR after third year of taxes.

Thanks

On 8/17/2021 at 7:50 PM, Haddo said:

Things have changed a lot. The process for applying is quite involved, there are a number of requirements that apparently didn't exist years ago.  And there's an unstated requirement that applicants need to employ an agent and pay "VIP service fees" for the application to be accepted for consideration. We're told this last item became unofficially required two years ago. And suggested agent business cards were distributed at CW last year.

51 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Great to know. Thank you.

I am on my second year of 60k (and am married to a Thai).

I plan to apply for PR after third year of taxes.

You could apply for Thai nationality with those qualification and being married to a Thai. Not need for PR in your case.

22 hours ago, Misty said:

Things have changed a lot. The process for applying is quite involved, there are a number of requirements that apparently didn't exist years ago.  And there's an unstated requirement that applicants need to employ an agent and pay "VIP service fees" for the application to be accepted for consideration. We're told this last item became unofficially required two years ago. And suggested agent business cards were distributed at CW last year.

1.What are the new requirements to apply for PR? You mention but do not elaborate.

2.Are you sure that it is now necessary to employ an agent and pay "VIP Service Fees"? Who told you this - an agent?

I ask because I'm advising a friend who applied last year (I have PR already)

On 8/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, JRG23 said:

Thank you.

If you are not married to a Thai, 80,000 is absolute minimum and even that won't get you far. Income in Thailand seems to have a lot of weight for PR consideration. To have better chances it should actually be 100 or 120k up per month.

I now see you're married to a Thai. That will give you some higher score in other areas (especially if you have Thai kids and are of the right age with sweet spot being somewhere between 35-45), but still, for the minimums you will have to excel in other categories. Make sure your Thai is absolutely perfect, that you can demonstrate significant contributions to Thai society, have amazing personality, and very high education.

As Joe states, being married to a Thai, you should pursue Thai nationality as it has far lower requirements, if your current nationality allows it.

Edited by tomazbodner
After reading OP is married to a Thai, which my previous response hasn't acconted for, corrected the post.

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

80,000 and even that won't get you far as that's the minimum requirement. Income in Thailand seems to have a lot of weight for PR consideration. To have better chances it should actually be 100 or 120k up per month.

He married to a Thai that lowers the income requirement to 50k baht.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He married to a Thai that lowers the income requirement to 50k baht.

Thank you, Sir.

After reading that he was married, I have corrected the above post.

50-60k per year (4-5,000 baht per month) still won't cut it in any case. It would need to be per month, not year.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, JRG23 said:

11 minutes ago, jayboy said:

1.What are the new requirements to apply for PR? You mention but do not elaborate.

2.Are you sure that it is now necessary to employ an agent and pay "VIP Service Fees"? Who told you this - an agent?

I ask because I'm advising a friend who applied last year (I have PR already)

1.  Please see this thread, you can search for my postings from last year there:
https://aseannow.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/page/132/  You may see others responses "well, I didn't have to do that."  As one member posted:  CW Resident Permit officials can ask for whatever additional supporting document(s) they consider necessary to support your application. This is the final clause #23 on the PR application form. "

2.  How do I know? Well, all I can say here is people can have a go if they think otherwise. Hopefully they will post back their own experience.  I wish someone had posted about this unstated requirement last year. Which is only why I posted now. The only comments I had to go on last year were from people who had applied years ago - admittedly they were helpful -up to a point.  Unfortunately, they were not up to date.

10 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

50-60k per year (4-5,000 baht per month) still won't cut it in any case. It would need to be per month, not year.

I am sure he meant 50 to 60k baht per month. He wrote it a little differently later.

9 hours ago, Misty said:

1.  Please see this thread, you can search for my postings from last year there:
https://aseannow.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/page/132/  You may see others responses "well, I didn't have to do that."  As one member posted:  CW Resident Permit officials can ask for whatever additional supporting document(s) they consider necessary to support your application. This is the final clause #23 on the PR application form. "

2.  How do I know? Well, all I can say here is people can have a go if they think otherwise. Hopefully they will post back their own experience.  I wish someone had posted about this unstated requirement last year. Which is only why I posted now. The only comments I had to go on last year were from people who had applied years ago - admittedly they were helpful -up to a point.  Unfortunately, they were not up to date.

Are you sure that it is not the agents/lawyers promoting this?

On 9/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, Misty said:

Yes.

I'm still not sure what additional requirements you have in mind.Can you very briefly list the more significant ones.

It's always been the case that Immigration can ask for extra documents though in most cases they don't.

It's never been fully proven but there's always been the thought that some minimum levels - e.g salary, tax paid etc - may not be in practice be enough.But I've known people with the minimum salary level that achieved PR without a hitch

I think it's perfectly possible that at the border line level some applicants may be refused if they are perceived as objectionable - eg rude or condescending or heavily tattooed .For the vast majority of applicants however if they meet the criteria they will get PR.Since my time I've been told that a higher standard of Thai is required but others need to advise on this aspect.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I'm still not sure what additional requirements you have in mind.Can you very briefly list the more significant ones.

It's always been the case that Immigration can ask for extra documents though in most cases they don't.

It's never been fully proven but there's always been the thought that some minimum levels - e.g salary, tax paid etc - may not be in practice be enough.But I've known people with the minimum salary level that achieved PR without a hitch

I think it's perfectly possible that at the border line level some applicants may be refused if they are perceived as objectionable - eg rude or condescending or heavily tattooed .For the vast majority of applicants however if they meet the criteria they will get PR.Since my time I've been told that a higher standard of Thai is required but others need to advise on this aspect.

No, that's not what has been going on, at least in the last two years.