Poll: Thai people spend 1-2 hours a DAY on COVID stats - but only half believe them

webfact

COVID24.JPG

REUTERS file photo for reference only

The latest poll from Suan Dusit University asked Thai people how they were accessing Covid-19 stats, what they were most interested in, how this affected them and whether they believed what they were told. 

The figures reveal an obsession about the numbers and a roughly 50-50 split if they can be trusted.

The poll asked 1,270 people online between 9th and 12th August about their views.

So where do Thais mostly get their news on the death toll and infection figures? The percentages overlap as many are clearly going to more than one source.

71.84% said TV.

70.49% cited Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Line

56.49% said websites and specific apps

45.17% listened to friends and relatives

37.74% paid heed to the CCSA's official bulletins

Asked about time spent looking at the figures these were the results:

40.95% said about 30 minutes a day

31.98% said one to two hours a day

13.73% said 2-5 hours a day

13.34% said more than 5 hours a day

Topics they were most interested in:

92.33% wanted to know the number of infections and deaths above all else.

7pm.jpg

Picture Daily News

This was followed by vaccination numbers, comparison figures, serious illness cases and the number of beds currently available. 

They were also asked if they believed what they were told:

45.87% said yes, quite a lot

33.89% said not much

14.13% said not at all

6.11% said they believed everything they were told

Large percentages of the population said that they generally were using the figures to inform their behavior and conduct during the pandemic, reported Daily News

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

What's the point?

Personally I see the headlines, because it's impossible not to see them if anybody checks the news.

And after that I know how many people were reported infected and reported died and how many were vaccinated.

That's enough information, at least for me.

There is no point in thinking about something we can't change. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

They were also asked if they believed what they were told:

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

6.11% said they believed everything they were told

Scammers, the ghost of PT Barnum and several individuals with a bridge to sell are currently trying to ascertain who these people are…  

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point?

Personally I see the headlines, because it's impossible not to see them if anybody checks the news.

And after that I know how many people were reported infected and reported died and how many were vaccinated.

That's enough information, at least for me.

There is no point in thinking about something we can't change. 

Is that why I see you all over these threads day in day out? ????????

Thaii numbers should be viewed as reported or official numbers only. Savvy Thais themselves know this and don’t believe what they’re being fed. Believe we’ve maxed out. It’s all about the testing. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Is that why I see you all over these threads day in day out? ????????

Thaii numbers should be viewed as reported or official numbers only. Savvy Thais themselves know this and don’t believe what they’re being fed. Believe we’ve maxed out. It’s all about the testing. 

Read again! I wrote: "how many people were reported infected and reported died".

I'm in the one hour a day group. I depend primarily on Richard Barrow for daily CCSA stats & Peter Scully's daily graphs.

Either logistically we've maxxed out PCR testing or "govt" is too cheap to supply testing & personnel. Other countries can test millions in a few days, as outbreaks demand.

What is unconscionable is making people PAY for their own preliminary ATKs.

As Thai experts have declared, Covid+s are likely undercounted by about half. I've seen figures from 21% to 43% Covid+.

Most epidemiologists & other scientists expect that ALL of us, including the fully vaccinated, will eventually succumb to the current or future variants.

Our chance of dying or severe illness may be mediated by vaccines. But that does not take long Covid into account.