Filing Tax Returns

I have a normal full-time job and my employer files my tax returns. In this role my employer submits tax returns on my behalf.

However, now I have been offered the opportunity to earn extra money in a part-time capacity.  Withholding tax of 3% will be deducted from this secondary position.  I am liable for the balance of income tax for this work (which is fine).  However, I want to know how to proceed with regards to the filing of my income tax return. 

I wondered if any other TVM have experience in this situation?  

What is the normal process for filing my tax return in such a situation.  Would my main employer file their part and I subsequently file the secondary part myself after the end of the tax year as a supplementary return?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to use a different tax form. Usually your tax would be submitted through a ภงด 91 form but you'll have to submit using a ภงด 90 form that is used when you have additional income to your main employment. The easiest way will simply be to give the tax records from the second job to whoever deals with your tax return at your main employer. They can then file your annual tax return using the correct form. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You will need to use a different tax form. Usually your tax would be submitted through a ภงด 91 form but you'll have to submit using a ภงด 90 form that is used when you have additional income to your main employment. The easiest way will simply be to give the tax records from the second job to whoever deals with your tax return at your main employer. They can then file your annual tax return using the correct form. 

Many thanks for sharing, I know I could do that as my main employer suggested that.  But, what about if you wanted to keep the full-time and part-time income separate without each employer knowing the income earned in each occupation -g is that possible, and if so how would I go about that?

I'm a private person and don't feel everyone should know everything.

Thanks in advance

Edited by stament

In that case you can file all your returns yourself.  It's not hard after you've done it once. You can do it online with help from a Thai reader or google translate, or you can just go to your local tax office with the documents and they'll do it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

In that case you can file all your returns yourself.  It's not hard after you've done it once. You can do it online with help from a Thai reader or google translate, or you can just go to your local tax office with the documents and they'll do it for you.

This is the correct information and should be enough for the OP.

ie: File it yourself at the Tax Office or do online. Suggest go to Tax Office with all forms from both employers and any proof of deductions--they will do it all for you, and you will need to pay more, or get a refund.

Hopefully this closes the thread.

• Thanks 1

If you & your employer are agreeable you can submit your 2 copies of the withholding tax payments 

to them & they can complete & submit at the same time (I used to buy the lady a nice Songkran gift)

The big boss liked the idea as he then had access to what I was up to

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

If you & your employer are agreeable you can submit your 2 copies of the withholding tax payments 

to them & they can complete & submit at the same time (I used to buy the lady a nice Songkran gift)

The big boss liked the idea as he then had access to what I was up to

Begs the question which lady and big boss? ????  Your big boss?

I do not know the answer but I would consider this question..

If you are an employee, wouldn’t you be on a payroll and as such wouldn’t have to file personal tax returns?

In this situation wouldn’t the company file tax returns that encompass employee payments with tax deducted at source? 

47 minutes ago, NightSky said:

I do not know the answer but I would consider this question..

If you are an employee, wouldn’t you be on a payroll and as such wouldn’t have to file personal tax returns?

In this situation wouldn’t the company file tax returns that encompass employee payments with tax deducted at source? 

Yes that would be the ideal way but normally the situation whereby companies deduct WHT is when they are treating you as a consultant not an employee.  I guess they don't want to have to pay the benefits and have all the extra admin hassles for short-term, consultancy or part-time work which then leaves the onus on the person working to file their own tax return.

• Like 1

I only filed one tax return in Thailand. I remember being surprised how easy it was. I walked in expecting a painful experience and the nice lady done it all for me pretty fast.

Imagine the look on their face if you walked into the Australian tax office expecting them to do your tax return.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

I only filed one tax return in Thailand. I remember being surprised how easy it was. I walked in expecting a painful experience and the nice lady done it all for me pretty fast.

Imagine the look on their face if you walked into the Australian tax office expecting them to do your tax return.

Funny how just the mention of "taxes" brings a rush of blood to my brain.

• Haha 1

I used to have a Thai accountant lady submit my tax return. From memory I think it wasn’t more than 1000 baht for that particular document. The accountant also submitted my company tax return for about 3500 baht. 

There are some though who try to charge three or four times that amount. I know because I fell for that scam when I first started filing returns in Thailand. 

Just search for accountant or ask a Thai business owner for a referral to get a quote.